ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: iLive replacement  (Read 2499 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: iLive replacement
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 06:23:01 pm »

If only we could get MS to support iLive - A&H is done updating that series so it would be a one-time port with no updates... that alone would suddenly bring a lot of very powerful hardware into the modern age.

Agreed. dLive port too plz :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jonathan Hiemberg

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 10:40:18 pm »

Just an update, got the SQ-6 in and installed. Although Iíve used my fair share of Allen & Heath kit, this was a very painless setup. Didnít consult the documentation once, and had a great show Saturday night. My only hiccup was finding the channel safes.

Also started training a new volunteer - totally new as in never touched a board before. This was a great time, teaching the basics and ideas to someone with no preconceived ideas, and heís a sharp kid. The SQ seems to make sense to him in an operational way, and I think heíll take to it well. Making the analogy that setting up your fader banks was like re-arranging the apps on your smart phone screen just makes sense in a way that some old brains didnít quite grok when they transitioned to digital.

Still holding out for mixing station for iLive...

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 06:03:48 am »

Making the analogy that setting up your fader banks was like re-arranging the apps on your smart phone screen just makes sense in a way that some old brains didnít quite grok when they transitioned to digital

And that is where I think the Allen&Heath eco system wins over virtually all other systems. Yes you can tie yourself in knots but the ability to have effectively a User layer on every bank AND being able to shuffle things around live, eg if you find one input needs more attention than it should on another bank you can swap it onto your main layer perhaps hiding that send fader you never use once it's set up. I've been using A&H stuff off and on since the ILive was at ver 1.11 and I've never grown tired of the freely assingable fader layers

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 03:53:07 pm »

And that is where I think the Allen&Heath eco system wins over virtually all other systems. Yes you can tie yourself in knots but the ability to have effectively a User layer on every bank AND being able to shuffle things around live, eg if you find one input needs more attention than it should on another bank you can swap it onto your main layer perhaps hiding that send fader you never use once it's set up. I've been using A&H stuff off and on since the ILive was at ver 1.11 and I've never grown tired of the freely assingable fader layers

The first time I used an iLive, having access to any fader anywhere was super cool.  Want the mains on layer 2 channel 7? Sure, go nuts! Want ever fader on layer 1 to be cowbell?  Heck yeah. You can do that too. And it's fun having every fader move together.

The biggest challenge though would come when you needed someone else to jump on the board.  Now they had to go and figure out the insanity that you created.  While some other boards have much less flexibility, sometimes that's a blessing.
Brian Jojade

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 04:42:56 pm »

The first time I used an iLive, having access to any fader anywhere was super cool.  Want the mains on layer 2 channel 7? Sure, go nuts! Want ever fader on layer 1 to be cowbell?  Heck yeah. You can do that too. And it's fun having every fader move together.

The biggest challenge though would come when you needed someone else to jump on the board.  Now they had to go and figure out the insanity that you created.  While some other boards have much less flexibility, sometimes that's a blessing.
On the Dlive you keep 1 soft key set to recall a normal linear layout, that way those that don't appreciate your artistic fader layout can start their own one.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 07:18:39 pm »

On the Dlive you keep 1 soft key set to recall a normal linear layout, that way those that don't appreciate your artistic fader layout can start their own one.

Fwiw, you can do that on all of the A&H digital consoles with scenes & filters.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 04:42:05 am »

Fwiw, you can do that on all of the A&H digital consoles with scenes & filters.
Yeah I know, being able to scope and recall fader layouts only is one of the secrets to using these things especially if you are using one of the smaller surfaces on a tour or whatever. I know it can do DCA spill but actually being able to bring actual inputs and outputs on and off the surface is very useful especially if your using a lot of the system's ridiculous routing capability.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 09:02:47 pm »

Yeah I know, being able to scope and recall fader layouts only is one of the secrets to using these things especially if you are using one of the smaller surfaces on a tour or whatever. I know it can do DCA spill but actually being able to bring actual inputs and outputs on and off the surface is very useful especially if your using a lot of the system's ridiculous routing capability.

Agreed, for the consoles that have DCA spill & custom layers (such as SQ/dLive) with tons of channels on small fader surfaces I usually do a DCA with every input & one with every output so I can always 1-1 find extra stuff.

Dunno where you plugged in?
That's fine, I'll get it.

Mal Brown

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 12:16:43 pm »

A Soundcraft Ui-24r get's your first 20. A second, cascaded gets you around 32. Mixer boxes live  on stage.  Cat 5 between them provides 32x32 bi directional interface.  Cat 5 to FOH.  Touch screen PC is your interface.  The app is simply a web browser.  Sound quality is great, recording to fast USB stick or hard drive connected to the unit via powered USB hub, the user interface is intuitive a very nicely done.  For me the reliability has been 100%.

Way less expensive than most options I know of.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 04:08:07 pm by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 09:21:26 pm »

A Soindcraft Ui-24r get's your first 20. A second, cascaded gets you around 32.
Way less expensive than most options I know of.
Er, but the OP did talk about the fader count he wanted, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that he wanted physical faders...

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 09:21:26 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 26 queries.