ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: iLive replacement  (Read 7906 times)

Noah D Mitchell

iLive replacement
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »

Afternoon,

One of our venues has been running an iLive IDR48 and T112 for a number of years, and it’s time to replace it. Repairs are getting more frequent, and software is way out of date, etc etc. It’s bittersweet because I really like the iLive, I’ve mixed lots on it and trained several volunteers on it. It’s just fun to use.

My needs:
-more than 16 inputs from stage, but not more than 24
-reasonable life span of support and software updates
-iPad app needs to be able to select and save scenes

My wants:
-I’m partial to Allen and Heath but not fanatically so. I’ve got dLive and QU in other venues and I like them both.

At the moment I’m looking at the SQ-6 with the AR2412 for stage box. Total package price around 5,300 online, I can live with that. This meets my needs of fader count and I/O as well.

Any major gotchas or things I really need to consider here?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:34:11 PM by Jonathan Hiemberg »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: iLive replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

Afternoon,

One of our venues has been running an iLive IDR48 and T112 for a number of years, and it’s time to replace it. Repairs are getting more frequent, and software is way out of date, etc etc. It’s bittersweet because I really like the iLive, I’ve mixed lots on it and trained several volunteers on it. It’s just fun to use.

My needs:
-more than 16 inputs from stage, but not more than 24
-reasonable life span of support and software updates
-iPad app needs to be able to select and save scenes

My wants:
-I’m partial to Allen and Heath but not fanatically so. I’ve got dLive and QU in other venues and I like them both.

At the moment I’m looking at the SQ-6 with the AR2412 for stage box. Total package price around 5,300 online, I can live with that. This meets my needs of fader count and I/O as well.

Any major gotchas or things I really need to consider here?

Looks like you've nailed it -SQ5/6/7.  Higher channel count would be Avantis. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »

The AR2412 is only 48k.  Getting 2 x DX168 would let you run at 96k.  Also, we have 2 x SQ6 and 2 x Avantis, and the Avantis is a very real console.  I carried a Dlive on tour and actually prefer the UI of the Avantis.  If you can stretch to that, you won't regret it.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

Looks like you've nailed it -SQ5/6/7.  Higher channel count would be Avantis.

Yep +1

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »

The AR2412 is only 48k.  Getting 2 x DX168 would let you run at 96k.  Also, we have 2 x SQ6 and 2 x Avantis, and the Avantis is a very real console.  I carried a Dlive on tour and actually prefer the UI of the Avantis.  If you can stretch to that, you won't regret it.

Is there any practical advantage to this setup other than the 96k? Reading the literature I can discern one, but I certainly could have missed something.

Kirk Olson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »

You would lose the split fader banks with the SQ.  I run SQ5 and GLD-80, and always miss the split banks.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »

One odd thing I just discovered about the SQ, you can't use the QDrive and USB to a computer at the same time like you can on the Qu. You didn't mention recording as a need so that might not be an issue for you. I mention it just because it surprised me. Having a backup recording for my purposes has been very helpful.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:11 AM »

You would lose the split fader banks with the SQ.  I run SQ5 and GLD-80, and always miss the split banks.

To clarify: I would lose the split banks using the AR or the DX?

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 05:45:25 AM »

To clarify: I would lose the split banks using the AR or the DX?

In simple terms the dLive, iLive & GLD are typically set up with the left hand bank(s) of faders as input channels and the right hand bank of faders as outputs or control faders.

The SQ only has one bank of faders.  You can think of it terms of the layer determines its function – channel input, channel EFX send level, channel FB level etc.

The AR or DX rack has no impact on this.  The advantage of the DX rack at 96kHz is slightly better (hardly noticeable) sound quality.  I have both for my SQ6’s.

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 08:29:38 AM »

In simple terms the dLive, iLive & GLD are typically set up with the left hand bank(s) of faders as input channels and the right hand bank of faders as outputs or control faders.

The SQ only has one bank of faders.  You can think of it terms of the layer determines its function – channel input, channel EFX send level, channel FB level etc.

The AR or DX rack has no impact on this.  The advantage of the DX rack at 96kHz is slightly better (hardly noticeable) sound quality.  I have both for my SQ6’s.

True, but you could copy the output faders you always want on the surface to each layer in use.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 08:29:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.