ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Field recorder for live stream?  (Read 970 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Field recorder for live stream?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »

...but my use will be small, occasional location recording of solo artists or small ensembles. [...]

This gets to the heart of it: what are you trying to achieve? Location recording and streaming have different requirements (largely due to the "real-time" nature of the latter). If you're looking for a simple location recording tool there have been many good suggestions, but few of them will be of much use for streaming (or, at any rate, not any more use than a simple USB audio interface that is simpler and will cost less).

Even if all you're looking to do is location recording, since you already own an audio interface (or several), how much weight and trouble are you actually saving by going all-in-one? Is that weight and trouble worth the cost of a dedicated solution? If it is, would your money be better spent on something else (e.g. a more portable laptop)?

For me, I can't remember the last time I showed up to a gig without a laptop (or a USB interface, for that matter). The only reason I'd ever consider buying a stand-alone recorder is if I was only planning to use it with its built-in microphone. For everything else, if I've already gone to the trouble of lugging some mics, stands, and cables around, I might as well bring a laptop, too.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Field recorder for live stream?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.