ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Field recorder for live stream?  (Read 980 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Field recorder for live stream?
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:24 pm »

Curious what folks prefer when going supper light for live streaming (or recording)? In the past I've always used my Ui24r as an audio interface, but if I only need a few channels, the Ui+Laptop is kinda overkill. I've been looking at the various units from Zoom, Tascam and Sound Devices, but can't find much on sound quality comparisons....so does that mean they all sound great?

Other than great sound quality, I'm looking for:

-at least 4 XLR inputs with Phantom power
-minimal cost (used is fine)
-flexible power options
-video sync would be nice
-[EDIT] unbalanced stereo output (for feeding to video stream)

and that's about it. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:32:12 pm by Mark Scrivener »

Riley Casey

Re: Field recorder for live stream?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:46:39 pm »

I've had three of the Zoom H4Ns for years. Rock solid and reasonably transparent but they were used most of the time for non-music recording.  I'd certainly look at the four input Zooms if I needed anything more capable than the H4N but didn't need the capacity of the Behringer XR18s I've used as my stock answer for multiple inputs.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:50:30 pm »

I've had three of the Zoom H4Ns for years.

One caveat with the H4N is that it won't take a line level signal on the combo jack inputs.

I have an H6 now and like it though it hasn't seen much use. I typically use an X32 Rack with XLive card.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:04 pm »

You'll still have two pieces of equipment but a small Allen Heath ZED mixer and a lap top would work.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 07:00:59 am »

One caveat with the H4N is that it won't take a line level signal on the combo jack inputs.

From Zoom web page...
XLR or " balanced or unbalanced phone cables. They can handle both mic- and line-level signals as well as instrument-level signals from electric guitars or basses.
I have used the Zoom H6, and seen quite a few used by videographers and they work well.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:00 am »

The already mentioned A&H Zed mixer is handy, we use one in our little live stream rig at the Irish cultural center. Feed into a laptop and the OBS software, combined with video inputs from a smartphone or camera, and it works great.

I've owned a QSC Touchmix 16 for a few months now, and it records to stick or external drive, and the Touchmix 8 is pretty small, although the 16 is not much larger and I would always recommend it if you can afford it. QSC have a DAW utility app for sending files directly to a laptop.

A very versatile small digital mixer.

Best regards,

John

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:10:28 am »

I own the Zoom H4n Pro (which is currently on sale at Woot.com for $175, btw) and the XLR inputs clip at -6 dBu. The TS inputs clip at +2. I either run a pair of inline -20 dB attenuator barrels or just turn down my record matrix, or a combination of both. Neat little units.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 10:23:41 am »

various units from Zoom, Tascam and Sound Devices, but can't find much on sound quality comparisons....so does that mean they all sound great?

At this point in circuit design, there's no excuse for anything to not sound great. Sound Devices are head and shoulder above the others in build quality, but also in cost.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 12:04:59 pm »

From Zoom web page...

XLR or " balanced or unbalanced phone cables. They can handle both mic- and line-level signals as well as instrument-level signals from electric guitars or basses.

Try it with the H4N and tell us how it works out, Keith.  It won't.  +4dBu will overload the XLR inputs no matter how much you turn down the record level on the H4N.  The H6 appears to have different input circuits.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Rick Earl

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 12:15:59 pm »

Curious what folks prefer when going supper light for live streaming (or recording)? In the past I've always used my Ui24r as an audio interface, but if I only need a few channels, the Ui+Laptop is kinda overkill. I've been looking at the various units from Zoom, Tascam and Sound Devices, but can't find much on sound quality comparisons....so does that mean they all sound great?

Other than great sound quality, I'm looking for:

-at least 4 XLR inputs with Phantom power
-minimal cost (used is fine)
-flexible power options
-video sync would be nice
-[EDIT] unbalanced stereo output (for feeding to video stream)

and that's about it. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

I have been using the Zoom F8 for a few years now.  It will sync with video - internal clock is pretty rock solid.  8 combo inputs, balanced and unbalanced outs (rout-able) I have recorded directly to it and used it as an interface.  On-board batteries, external battery option and wall wart.  I have tracked drums with it before for a remote recording one time, also voice, pipe-organ and Revolutionary War reenactor's cannon and musket fire.  Good, clean and solid.  The F6 has some really nice new features and also priced right.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 12:15:59 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.