ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Countryman service +10  (Read 2261 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Countryman service +10
« on: August 02, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »

Whilst looking at some of the gear I've accumulated over the years I spotted a box of 6 Countryman FET-85 that I packed up 3 years ago to send in for service.  Since working DIs fetch more $ that dead ones, I filled out the RMA form and sent them to Countryman.

A week or so goes by and I've heard nothing (I expected a phone call or email to arrange for payment, as they charge a $20/item eval fee to handle multiple service returns, plus repair costs).  Instead I got an email from FedEx saying I had a package coming from Countryman.

I pulled the packing list and they'd detailed their findings, the repairs made, and a notation for each unit that the repairs were warranty.  No charge to eval, no charge to repair (at least one of them was easily 10 years old), and no charge for return shipping.

All this while a pandemic is in full force, with a <2 week turn around.

Bravo, Countryman!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Countryman service +10
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:16:25 PM »

Bravo, Countryman!

They are a genuinely nice group of people. I was at their NAMM booth in January and mentioned having difficulty with getting good sound out of my E6's. I received an on-the-spot 20 minute class from Chris Countryman and Rosa Pimental on using all their mic products effectively.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

Yes, the difference between dealing with a small family owned business vs a brand owned by a multi conglomerate. Countryman is a class act and great products. Let's hope they stay "in the family" and don't get swallowed up by some big corporation.

Different market, but I recently had to replace a part on a Stanley hand plane. Stanley used to be great to deal with and made it supper easy to get replacement parts. But they sold to Black and Decker a few years back, which owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, and a bunch of other brands. Getting parts for some tools from them is now impossible....3rd party was the only option.

Love my Countryman 85's BTW! Great for upright bass and acoustic guitar DI's.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »

Different market, but I recently had to replace a part on a Stanley hand plane. Stanley used to be great to deal with and made it supper easy to get replacement parts. But they sold to Black and Decker a few years back, which owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, and a bunch of other brands. Getting parts for some tools from them is now impossible....3rd party was the only option.

I hope you don't own any Craftsman tools. 

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:50:11 AM »

I hope you don't own any Craftsman tools.

yep, they own Craftsman too. Other than a bunch of very old wrenches and a compressor, no other Craftsman tools in my shop.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »

I sent a letter to Countryman explaining one of my bought-used Type 85s failed.
That was a couple years ago, I don't remember exactly the cost (if any) but I do remember quick service and absolutely no hassles.

Add to that, an outstanding product.  Never regretted getting Countryman, or for that matter, Radial and LR Baggs Paracoustic.  Each has specific functions (in my mind, anyway).  As I'm in waiting to be promoted to small fry, the corollary to "buy once, cry once" is "buy used, cry a bit less".

frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »

I sent a letter to Countryman explaining one of my bought-used Type 85s failed.
That was a couple years ago, I don't remember exactly the cost (if any) but I do remember quick service and absolutely no hassles.

Add to that, an outstanding product.  Never regretted getting Countryman, or for that matter, Radial and LR Baggs Paracoustic.  Each has specific functions (in my mind, anyway).  As I'm in waiting to be promoted to small fry, the corollary to "buy once, cry once" is "buy used, cry a bit less".

frank

You post got me started counting my DIs... and I own more than I remembered.  J-48 and FET 85, some EWI actives from Audiopile.net, and a couple of old Rapco passives.  I have no idea how I ended up with 20+ DIs.  That doesn't include stuff like StageBugs and transformer iso boxes...  Damn, maybe I should start a sound company?  ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »

A Countryman Model 85 DI box from 1985 is definitely the oldest piece of working kit in my collection. I lost the set screw on it and had to replace it, the only “repair” I’ve had to make in 35 years.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 11:41:14 PM »

You post got me started counting my DIs... and I own more than I remembered.  J-48 and FET 85, some EWI actives from Audiopile.net, and a couple of old Rapco passives.  I have no idea how I ended up with 20+ DIs.  That doesn't include stuff like StageBugs and transformer iso boxes...  Damn, maybe I should start a sound company?  ::)

Yeah, I get it Tim.  The thing with buying used, one always finds that "super deal" that can't be passed up.  I have 14 channels worth... double what I'd ever use.  ::)  plus the 8 channel rack mount Behringer active that's been out on loan... That long? D'Oh!  :-\
No, I don't need it, but, such a deal!  ;D

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:43 AM »

You post got me started counting my DIs... and I own more than I remembered.

Me too.  Not only do I seem to collect them, buying them when bargains appear, I also make my own DIs with a 5M FET input stage for acoustic instruments.  I might have more DIs than I have mixer inputs!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:43 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.