ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avid S6L  (Read 894 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Avid S6L
« on: August 02, 2020, 01:00:36 pm »

What's the verdict on the S6L console these days?

Good?
In demand on riders?
Are people with Venue on their rider accepting it as a replacement?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Avid S6L
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:33:13 pm »

Yes.
2nd/3rd choice if multiple brands are acceptable.
Mostly, from what I can tell.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Matthew Knischewsky

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 06:47:47 pm »

What's the verdict on the S6L console these days?

Good?
In demand on riders?
Are people with Venue on their rider accepting it as a replacement?

Not a lot of bites on this so I might as well chime in. My primary experience has been as a PM or FOH/monitor engineer for medium sized festival type gigs. The times I have spec'd an S6L it has been met with varying degrees of resistance by more than one act. There's usually a handful of engineers who have some comfort level with S6L but those also seem to be the most flexible and would mix on anything. Any of the acts who had to have it were carrying.

My take away from this experience, and from getting a couple of quick tours around the desk, is that you want to have a very experienced person going out to tech this console. It's not something that you're going to "figure out on site" if you don't know the console. I'm sure I could get comfortable on it but doing a walk up or even a one off would be daunting. The S6L is so much better than a Profile but it's also so much different.

Contrast that with my experience babysitting Profiles or SC48s. I almost never get any questions other than what the output patch is. BEs load their own shows, bring their own plug-ins, there's a level of confidence about walking up to these desks and getting down to mixing. I haven't seen that with S6L.

My experience is about a year out of date as all of my festival dates this summer were cancelled just as I was getting started planning. So I have no idea how consoles in 2020 would have played out. But I suspect that Profile and SC48 would still be on the majority of riders and much to my chagrin I would still be hiring them.

Matt

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:04:47 pm »

Let me preface my comment by dropping in that I work for Avid, and have toured this console since 2015.

I think some people are still reasonably unsure of how their old Profile show files load on it.  At this point, people have now gotten used to incompatibility between consoles, and software versions form other manufacturers, so people seem to expect the same from the Avid consoles. 

Just for clarity, S6L loads every aspect of old Profile show files, with all snapshots, routing, everything... the only thing to be aware of is that there are a handful of plug-ins that never moved over to AAX-DSP, which includes Waves, but the Waves SoundGrid integration with S6L also loads properly the settings routing and snapshots from older show files.

A ton of the festivals have switched house desks to S6L as the house desks, Rock In Rio, Isle of Wight, Reading, Leeds, Download, with happy engineers.
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:04:47 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.