ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SBH10 - for live portable sound?  (Read 1536 times)

Trevor Jalla

Danley SBH10 - for live portable sound?
« on: July 30, 2020, 11:25:15 PM »

An odd consideration perhaps - but has anyone used Danley's SBH10s for live band performance? They are designed as an install box, but the 140º dispersion looks like it could suit ballroom type shows/events that where I would typically use 2x60º boxes splayed per side, mounted on less-than-aesthetically pleasing dual tripods per side.

But I'm curious about the wide pattern, and tidy aesthetics. Topping out a 126db continuous may present a limitation on larger outdoor shows, but I'm referring to ~500 indoors at moderate listening levels, not far exceeding 100db.

I note no handles so deployment may be less than ideal, and I presume no pole cup on these.

Thoughts?

I've been considering Martin's CDD Live 12 also (110º dispersion) but looking at various options, so I'm open to suggestions.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Danley SBH10 - for live portable sound?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »

An odd consideration perhaps - but has anyone used Danley's SBH10s for live band performance? They are designed as an install box, but the 140º dispersion looks like it could suit ballroom type shows/events that where I would typically use 2x60º boxes splayed per side, mounted on less-than-aesthetically pleasing dual tripods per side.

But I'm curious about the wide pattern, and tidy aesthetics. Topping out a 126db continuous may present a limitation on larger outdoor shows, but I'm referring to ~500 indoors at moderate listening levels, not far exceeding 100db.

I note no handles so deployment may be less than ideal, and I presume no pole cup on these.

Thoughts?

I've been considering Martin's CDD Live 12 also (110º dispersion) but looking at various options, so I'm open to suggestions.

I’ve spent a bunch of time around both the SBH10 and the CDD12, and I can promise you won’t be disappointed with the SBH10. A pair could easily cover a 500 cap ballroom and sound extremely good doing so. I would suggest you reach out to your local rep for a demo

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »

I have used the SBH10 and SBH20 for a number of shows and they do sound great, up close and at a distance.
Be aware, however, that you need to cross your subs a bit higher than usual.
We use a piece of truss, with a base plate, as a stand. They are a bit of a bear to handle but worth the effort.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

The SBH series was mainly intended as an install line.

But several people are doing live shows with them.  One guy in Europe does some EDM shows with them.  Some are used in football and other stadiums as fills.  One universities marching band uses them as reinforcement speakers.

The biggest suggestion I can offer is to MAKE SURE they are stable.  Due to the small footprint, they can easily fall over, not good.

Danley offers a U bracket that could be put on upside down and mounted to a large piece of plywood for a stable base.

There are various attachment points that you could make your own bracket.

A pole cup is not offered or suggested, due to weight and stability issues.

Moving them around can be a hassle due to the lack of handles, but then again, they were intended as an install cabinet and a cleaner look.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:50:16 AM »

Good to hear its not quite as outlandish a concept as I might have guessed. Noted re mounting / deployment considerations, thanks for those replies.

Any other insights, or alternative recommendations?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 06:10:52 AM »

A pole cup is not offered or suggested, due to weight and stability issues.

Definitely no pole cup!
We used them for the SBH20 but it's half the size.
When we use the truss stand base, we dress the truss with blacks for a clean look.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 06:10:52 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.