ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1.5 inch trussing clamps  (Read 2884 times)

Robert Marshall

1.5 inch trussing clamps
« on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »

I wish to mount some small moving heads on my Gorilla Stands lighting bar that has a 1.5 inch truss. I bought some American DJ 1741000057 O Slim 2 Trussing clamps from Amazon in the UK but they diid not come with the inserts to reduce them to fit 1.5 inch truss. Does anyone know of a source? I cannot see them as available as a spare on the European ADJ site.

Thanks

Dennis Wiggins

Re: 1.5 inch trussing clamps
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »

...mount some small moving heads on...1.5 inch truss.
Thanks

Are you looking for a C-type or O-type clamp?  Chauvet makes both types. I don't know about UK availability.

I've used the O-type CHAUVET DJ CLP-10 Light-Duty Adjustable O-Clamp for many years. Never a failure.

It has a 1.5" insert.

-Dennis

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »

Pretty easy to make inserts from 1.5 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe using hand tools.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »

I made "do-it yourself" versions from plastic plumbing pipe.  Find 1.9" to 2" O.D. pipe with the inside diameter just bigger or even slightly smaller than the stand tube.  Carefully cut a slot on a length of pipe with a table saw - be very carefull!  Then you can cross-cut rings to the width you need and slip them over the stand's tubing.  Here a jig saw is safer, but I made jigs for both the rip and cross cuts.  It's not as easy as using the ones that come with the Chauvet CLP-10's but will work in a bind.  The slot usually gives you some adjustability and allows the ring to slip over the stand tube.  Again, be very careful or have someone else do it.  Plastic pipe and a table saw are a dangerous combination!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »

Hi Robert, is there a reason why you didn’t just buy the right clamp to begin with?  They’re ~$5/ea., so not a tremendous investment!  DIY can certainly be done too but in the eyes of your insurance provider will probably be frowned upon...  Hope this helps!

Marc Sibilia

• Princeton, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:50:23 PM »

Plastic pipe and a table saw are a dangerous combination!

Guy I worked with lost a pinky to that particular combination!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:37:34 PM »

Hi Robert, is there a reason why you didn’t just buy the right clamp to begin with?  They’re ~$5/ea., so not a tremendous investment!  DIY can certainly be done too but in the eyes of your insurance provider will probably be frowned upon...  Hope this helps!

If you're putting lights on different size pipe, it's less of a hassle to drop in an insert vs having to constantly change clamps on fixtures.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 09:22:59 PM »

If you're putting lights on different size pipe, it's less of a hassle to drop in an insert vs having to constantly change clamps on fixtures.

That's good rationale.  If functionality is a priority over cost and he's not hanging anything massive I'd think one could 3D print the adapters with good results if they can't be purchased individually.  I've had a handful of bits and pieces printed up for basically pocket change, so not bad at all for prototyping or wanting a simple yet professional solution.   

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »

I have a set of clamps from (I think) the lightsource ? They are pricey but work from 1.3” to 2”.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:50:23 AM »

Global Truss has an O-clamp that fits 1.3" to 1.5" (35mm to 40mm IIRC) with no insert required.  I have a number of them for pipe and drape uprights and light weight tripod lighting stands.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:50:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.