ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestion for passive speaker  (Read 2437 times)

duane massey

Need suggestion for passive speaker
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:06:15 AM »

Looking for suggestions for a passive speaker, flyable, with a wide (100-120 deg) dispersion for a small church. Very limited budget, spoken word, high open ceiling. I could build something but I would rather find a current product, and I haven't kept up with the latest offerings.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Need suggestion for passive speaker
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:18:08 AM »

Looking for suggestions for a passive speaker, flyable, with a wide (100-120 deg) dispersion for a small church. Very limited budget, spoken word, high open ceiling. I could build something but I would rather find a current product, and I haven't kept up with the latest offerings.

Check out VUE audiotechnik. Not sure about your horizontal requirement, though.  The i series will be pretty wide due to the dome tweet, but that of course limits SPL.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:31:34 AM »

Fulcrum CX1226 or DX1226.  120x60, and sounds great. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »

FBT Vertus would be great.  I can arrange a demo for you Dwayne.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:42:36 AM »

EAW MKD1026 – 120° x 60° ?
https://www.eaw.com/products-series/mkd-1000-series/

QX399 could also be an option.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »

Community IC6-2082 double 8 available in a 120 X 60 or the IP6-1122 12 inch is available in a 120 X 60.

Lev Raber

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »

Plenty passive speakers to choose from. One thing you didn't mention, what is your "Very limited budget"? Give us an idea and we'll go from there.
I myself would go with central hang of 2 speakers with 60-90 dispersion. Lots of cheap options for new or used available.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 11:57:06 PM »

EAW KF300's are $500/pair right now. Have proper fly hardware and sound great.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »

Thanks to everyone. I have given the info to the people at the church, and they will stare at the numbers and probably go to GC and buy whatever the sales guy can fit into their budget. Hopefully they will realize they need to spend a little more than they thought, but this is a very small congregation in a poor part of the city so I am not optimistic.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »

Thanks to everyone. I have given the info to the people at the church, and they will stare at the numbers and probably go to GC and buy whatever the sales guy can fit into their budget. Hopefully they will realize they need to spend a little more than they thought, but this is a very small congregation in a poor part of the city so I am not optimistic.

What's the budget?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

this is a very small congregation in a poor part of the city so I am not optimistic.

Well, to be blunt, that makes it more crucial for them to get the right solution, rather than "Whatever GC has on the shelf." Being a good steward with their limited funds, and all of that...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »

probably go to GC and buy whatever the sales guy can fit into their budget. Hopefully they will realize they need to spend a little more than they thought, but this is a very small congregation in a poor part of the city so I am not optimistic.
You REALLY need to get the best you can afford, and not the cheapest that will fit.......
And yes, there is a difference.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »

EAW KF300's are $500/pair right now. Have proper fly hardware and sound great.

+1 on this setup. Very effective for the requirements you're looking for.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »

If I'm reading Duane correctly, this HoW needs a single loudspeaker, for whatever reasons, and my guess is the lighter, the better. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Fairchild

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »

A Danley SM100 would be my go to speaker for this situation, but if that price is completely out of the question and there's no talking them into saving up then the best rock bottom price speaker I can think of for this situation that might work would be an EV ZX1-100. If that's still too much then....good luck

Mike Monte

• My website
Church sound on a volunteer level
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »

Church sound can be a bit weird (at least for me).
My church's sound system (in the sanctuary) went down the last week of June.
The priest called me (I am a parishioner) to take a look.

I've gotten the system up and running in the past (it was usually another volunteer messing with the levels, someone "rewired" something, etc.) but this time I told the priest to call an AV company since one of the components (the mixer) had shorted out....plus the electrical worked looked like a hack job to be honest.

My level of knowledge is with portable PA systems with very little experience with 70V systems.

Yesterday, an AV company was at the church and the priest asked if I could be there.....
I did not go.  Why?

My gut tells me that if I recommend this AV for the install/fix the priest will assume that I will know how to maintain it....
I would rather not be "that close" to the installed system.

My help with the church is that I put in a portable PA system for them to use until the installed system is fixed.

All of the above said:
As a parishioner you want the best for your church, however, sometimes you have to let-go.

Now, as far as going to Guitar C and trusting what the salesmen say.....???

If you end up with a pile of Harbinger speakers in your church........
send the people that bought pile of j*** my way.  I'd like to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge...   

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »

RE: Zx1 option

I  replaced the 90x50 horn with 100x100 in my Zx1s and a they are very smooth across the sound field. Prior to that, they had a detectable L-C-R pattern, with the C being prominent. That could be good, or bad. Going to 100x100 was a big improvement for my purposes.

BTW, if you do want to try a Zx1-100 (or Zx1-90), I have 1 EV QuickSAM white mounting bracket [with the bolt] for 'make a small offer' + cost of shipping from IL.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:46:10 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

Rick Powell

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 08:44:07 AM »

If you could go active, Bob Piascik has a pair of Yamaha DSR 112s in the Marketplace for $900.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 08:44:07 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.