ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you preparing for the future (of live sound) during this time?  (Read 6766 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

Prior to covid, I would pull my daughtinlaw's dad in for videography..he does it pro level so much better for him to roll in with the cool video stuff.

but I have been eyeing my wife's DSLR Nikon as well as the family 4k Sony camcorder. And I've seen the dad-in-law do his big church thing with a real cameras where appropriate, but he also posts little sport cameras...chinese knock-off Heros  in various places..lets em run the whole service and then in the post mix he'll pull shots he wants from those cameras and has the editing ability to make them look like a match to the rest of his video.
I think I'll grab some of the cheaper 1080p HDMI stream sticks to start playing around with..but yes, have long thought about including some fun video capture for the bands that we stage.
Anxious to hear ya'll progress/experiences in this since you are just stepping out in it as well.

Maybe we should start a streaming/ video category here.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Maybe we should start a streaming/ video category here.
We have the pro AV forum.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ed Taylor

We have the pro AV forum.

fair enough, and Lord knows we could get great advice from the pros...but I like the idea of a semi-pro thread as well.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

fair enough, and Lord knows we could get great advice from the pros...but I like the idea of a semi-pro thread as well.

If you have a topic that you can't find a current forum for, either post it in the basement or in the forum it best fits.

Mac

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

Prior to covid, I would pull my daughtinlaw's dad in for videography..he does it pro level so much better for him to roll in with the cool video stuff.

but I have been eyeing my wife's DSLR Nikon as well as the family 4k Sony camcorder. And I've seen the dad-in-law do his big church thing with a real cameras where appropriate, but he also posts little sport cameras...chinese knock-off Heros  in various places..lets em run the whole service and then in the post mix he'll pull shots he wants from those cameras and has the editing ability to make them look like a match to the rest of his video.
I think I'll grab some of the cheaper 1080p HDMI stream sticks to start playing around with..but yes, have long thought about including some fun video capture for the bands that we stage.
Anxious to hear ya'll progress/experiences in this since you are just stepping out in it as well.

Check out the Aida HD-100A - broadcast quality 1080p camera (they make 4k versions as well), under $300.

But bringing this back to audio - most cameras and video switchers have 1/8" TRS jacks for stereo (unbalanced) audio. When you want to be portable and light, how are you guys dealing with the audio? Not sure if I should bring a small portable preamp and cabling or just shell out for a "video" mic (that probably isn't nearly as good as the mics I already have).

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports

Check out the Aida HD-100A - broadcast quality 1080p camera (they make 4k versions as well), under $300.

But bringing this back to audio - most cameras and video switchers have 1/8" TRS jacks for stereo (unbalanced) audio. When you want to be portable and light, how are you guys dealing with the audio? Not sure if I should bring a small portable preamp and cabling or just shell out for a "video" mic (that probably isn't nearly as good as the mics I already have).

External recorder and mics to go with it.  Even something as "high end" as the Sound Devices MixPre3 does a whole heck of a lot more than any camera can/will, and it's really not that expensive.  Not to mention you can use it as a TC generator to jam your camera(s) to, and for the price it does a lot.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

External recorder and mics to go with it.  Even something as "high end" as the Sound Devices MixPre3 does a whole heck of a lot more than any camera can/will, and it's really not that expensive.  Not to mention you can use it as a TC generator to jam your camera(s) to, and for the price it does a lot.

Thanks! I was considering one of the little Zoom recorders, but this looks much nicer! And way smaller and less hassle than even an old audio interface and a laptop, not to mention the sync feature. Guess I'll be sending more money to DVE this month....unless someone here is a dealer...

Steve Crump

Thanks! I was considering one of the little Zoom recorders, but this looks much nicer! And way smaller and less hassle than even an old audio interface and a laptop, not to mention the sync feature. Guess I'll be sending more money to DVE this month....unless someone here is a dealer...

The Tascam DR-70D may work for you.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

I went the expensive route with Blackmagic PCC4K cameras.  They have a proper mini XLR input with phantom available.
If I'm using a mixer, I can feed the outs into the cameras and the audio gets streamed in the HDMI signal.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage

I've put together a portable three camera live streaming system. I'm doing some small outdoor distanced events for free while I learn how to get optimum results. I can scale it from a solo performer with two mics to a 16-channel XLR split from a house system. I'm preparing for indoor, zero audience, events during the cold months. The setup could also be used for lectures and other kinds of presentations.

Me too!

Me three! Well actually 4 cameras in my case. Using it every day to teach guitar to my students online, but experimenting with setups for recording bands - when ever that happens. I'm scheduled to live stream a friends wedding in a few weeks...gonna be a fun learning curve.

I want to hear more about what you guys are doing. I'm thinking this is going to be what I'm going to have to do. I recorded my daughter's dance recital last weekend with my Canon 60D, Canon RP and a GoPro mounted on top of one of the fold back speakers. I'm not entirely happy with the results. But most of that was due to the venue (a banquet hall with flat seating and people's heads in the bottom of the image).

I've also gotten my Part 107 drone pilot's license and have started trying to do some real estate video/photography.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.