ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you preparing for the future (of live sound) during this time?  (Read 2373 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

and says she'll just have the reception band bring down a speaker

Unfortunately all too often they think it is as easy as just "bring down a speaker"

Kind of along the same lines as when someone says they need one microphone.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy

I've put together a portable three camera live streaming system. I'm doing some small outdoor distanced events for free while I learn how to get optimum results. I can scale it from a solo performer with two mics to a 16-channel XLR split from a house system. I'm preparing for indoor, zero audience, events during the cold months. The setup could also be used for lectures and other kinds of presentations.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Fire sale prices and pennies on the dollar liquidations.  There's gonna be a lot of good used gear on the market and if anyone has higher aspirations and cash it might be a good time to buy nice things.

I have 2 clients I'd love to keep no matter what happens (over 20 year of continuous service to them until SARS-CoV-2 hit), annual events that have become my pride and joy.  Both require lots of gear and 10 worker crews.  I've got a year to figure that part out no matter what happens...

I do know that if I can't be back working in audio really soon now, I'm out of audio forever.  I'll take a job I hate, with a decent benefit package, for the 4 years that separate me from full S.S. retirement.  The pandemic is/will kill my equity-based investments and cash savings pay so little (and dwindle fast).  Basically I'm screwed after nearly 40 years in the industry.

I grabbed some additional 4x8 stageright at auction yesterday and a bunch of locators.

I am really pissed off I screwed up and didn't win the z-braces.  They went cheap too.  z-braces and me's are a bitch to find. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

The other thing I've been doing is working with fellow Labster Dan Mortensen on a "coping with Covid" panel for the October Audio Engineering Society convention...

And shameless plug:  consider joining Dan's Tea Time Topics meetings of the Pacific North West AES chapter.  Last week was a review of the only music festival of the era that made money (unlike Woodstock).  Pictures provided by 2 attendees of the festival, discussion of the production, artists, site preparation and layout and a bit of photo-forensics.  You can watch, ask questions and make comments, etc.  It was a fun and informative way to spend 90 minutes.  Dan posts about these here in the Lounge so 'watch this space.'
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

I've put together a portable three camera live streaming system. I'm doing some small outdoor distanced events for free while I learn how to get optimum results. I can scale it from a solo performer with two mics to a 16-channel XLR split from a house system. I'm preparing for indoor, zero audience, events during the cold months. The setup could also be used for lectures and other kinds of presentations.

Me too!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

tl;dr

Buyin stuff I don't need, for gigs I don't have, because I can.

Plenty of installs tho.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

I've put together a portable three camera live streaming system.

Me three! Well actually 4 cameras in my case. Using it every day to teach guitar to my students online, but experimenting with setups for recording bands - when ever that happens. I'm scheduled to live stream a friends wedding in a few weeks...gonna be a fun learning curve.

Rick Powell

hey Doug..."bottom feeders or big guys desperate for work"...definitely both.

A full sound and lighting rig was obtained for an upcoming local event at pennies on the dollar from a desperate company...the catch is that the event now is in serious jeopardy of being cancelled due to the local COVID metrics going the wrong way. You can't win in this environment.

If this goes on for too much longer we will see a lot of people out of the biz, so it might even out for competition when everything fully re-opens. For our relatively small rig, we have had cancellations but have not reduced our prices. They are already getting a good deal, and we'd rather sit home than give out a lowball deal for the work involved. Luckily, this is a sideline and my son and I have booming business at our day jobs.

Ed Taylor

Rick,
you sound very similar.  My son and I both have good day jobs and have been very grateful for the steady income through this thing.
He worked hard with me through the years with our pro backline biz..but he wasn't interested in that lifestyle for the long haul and was good for me to sell when the offer came my way.

He is happy to do the occasional private gig.  But since it's side-income, we've never been anxious or hungry about it. If the job made sense we'd take it.

What we had planned to be good extra income, and a bit of a retirement years cash cow for me, has now been shuttered though...so the best plans of mice n men..right.

Ed Taylor

Me three! Well actually 4 cameras in my case. Using it every day to teach guitar to my students online, but experimenting with setups for recording bands - when ever that happens. I'm scheduled to live stream a friends wedding in a few weeks...gonna be a fun learning curve.

Prior to covid, I would pull my daughtinlaw's dad in for videography..he does it pro level so much better for him to roll in with the cool video stuff.

but I have been eyeing my wife's DSLR Nikon as well as the family 4k Sony camcorder. And I've seen the dad-in-law do his big church thing with a real cameras where appropriate, but he also posts little sport cameras...chinese knock-off Heros  in various places..lets em run the whole service and then in the post mix he'll pull shots he wants from those cameras and has the editing ability to make them look like a match to the rest of his video.
I think I'll grab some of the cheaper 1080p HDMI stream sticks to start playing around with..but yes, have long thought about including some fun video capture for the bands that we stage.
Anxious to hear ya'll progress/experiences in this since you are just stepping out in it as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.