ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home bar suggestions  (Read 3866 times)

Michael Hart

Home bar suggestions
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »

Hi everyone

I joined here as I wanted to ask for some help in suggesting a lighting setup for me.  I'm in the fortunate position of having an outbuilding that has been turned into a home bar, which is just a place to hang out with friends, have a drink, listen to some music and have a dance.  The room measures 5.7m x 3.7m / 18'8" x 12'2" and has a vaulted ceiling (around 12' at its highest).  There are 5 beams at the ceiling, right at the very top, which would each hold 1 light each or I can fix further down the ceiling or on the end walls.

I currently have some cheap moving head lights (https://www.lixada.com/p-l0761us.html) and a smoke machine (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beamz-Smoke-Machine-Flame-Effect/dp/B00FJ6D3HC) which has given me the lighting bug and I want more!!

I'm looking to achieve something where I can get some interesting disco lighting effects without needing to be too hands-on at the time, so something that works fairly autonomously or can just be pre-programmed and left to run, as well as having some fixed scenes, e.g. if playing poker having a scene where a couple of spots shine on the table and perhaps a couple of others just wash around the room.

I was hoping there might be some suggestions for what approach to take, I guess on the following:

- Would you suggest a dedicated DMX controller or PC controlled?  I'm struggling to find much info on the quality of sound activated modes and whether they are sophisticated enough to switch between all the fixtures in an interesting way.  Or is it just a case of programming a long chase and just letting that run on a loop?

- Running DMX cables is possible but how are the wireless options, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Donner-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Controller/dp/B00OC4YCEA.  Power access is easier to deal with.

- What additional lights would you suggest?  I'm thinking the two moving heads fixed to the wall down one end of the room along with a small derby in the middle (e.g. Eurolite LED Mini D-5), a couple of Eurolite TMH-13 spots on the wall down the other end or on the 2nd and 4th ceiling beam (I'm thinking beam lights [not ceiling beams] will be too narrow in this size room) and a Eurolite LED B-40 in the centre of the ceiling (I mean it has lasers!).   

Budget is a consideration but not everything - if I could get all this done for around £700 that would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Home bar suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »

Donner wireless works great.
Did a quick test and it worked at 70 ft through two walls no problem.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Michael Hart

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:58 AM »

Donner wireless works great.
Did a quick test and it worked at 70 ft through two walls no problem.

Thanks - they would certainly make the DMX connections a lot easier.

Any ideas on whether to go the DMX controller or PC controller software with these to make a decent hash of automated lighting?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »

Thanks - they would certainly make the DMX connections a lot easier.

Any ideas on whether to go the DMX controller or PC controller software with these to make a decent hash of automated lighting?
Either can probably do what you want.
I would look at demos and see which makes the most sense to your work flow.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »

Hi everyone

I joined here as I wanted to ask for some help in suggesting a lighting setup for me. 
SNIP
Thanks in advance.

I used Phillips Hue and there's a Thorlight app that will make them do disco effects. I get the added benefit of scheduling and controlling with Apple Home kit/Alexa etc. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »

I have also seen where Alexa with play lists are setup for the background music.  Using voice command to move from list 1 to list 5. 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 06:21:08 PM »

If you want specific looks with coordinated colors and spot locations then you need DMX control and PC based will be the most powerful and have the most upgrade potential should you add to the rig later on.  My suggestion for software on a budget is FreeStyler as the only cost is for a compatible USB dongle. It's not the most intuitive application at first blush but once you get over the hump you will see it has a lot of capability and one of the best features is you get to build your own fixture profiles so adding a diverse collection of fixtures is easy to do and doesn't cost extra $$$.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »

I have also seen where Alexa with play lists are setup for the background music.  Using voice command to move from list 1 to list 5.

You can make Alexa do loads of fun stuff. . .

http://debris.badquail.com/IMG_5917.MOV
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Michael Hart

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:52 AM »

I'll steer clear of Phillips Hue I think.

I've gone away and done a bit more research / thinking.  Firstly, looks like anything with lasers is out as the health and safety aspects of it just aren't worth the hassle for a home party room.

On the buy list are:
- Donner wireless DMX plugs
- Eurolite DMX512 Pro USB controller
- FreeStyler (I tried installing this although the number of warnings my computer threw out about unverified sources was a little scary!)
- ADJ Starburst (centre of ceiling)
- 4 x Eurolite TMH-13 moving head spot (4 corners of the room)

I then might add something like 2 x Fun Generation Mini Spider about a third of the way in from each end wall, but that's likely to be for a later date.

Haven't quite decided what to do with the existing moving head washes but I'm sure I can use them somewhere.

Vociferate

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »

I also recommend Donner wireless, nothing can go wrong with them, they are great.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber