ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody found a small moving wash that works? Talking China lights here...  (Read 5629 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

My thought is that if the fan wasn't needed, they wouldn't have put one there and saved money.

I do like Nathan's idea though.

FWIW, I have a growing Digi-Key parts list for fans to modify various China lights.

It's not super long yet, but as I get and modify more fixtures I update it.

Feel free to ask for it (anyone who reads this).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

FWIW, I have a growing Digi-Key parts list for fans to modify various China lights.

It's not super long yet, but as I get and modify more fixtures I update it.

Feel free to ask for it (anyone who reads this).

Nice offer Nathan. I may take you up on it when we start up again.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

never mind...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

Yeah. I might just buy one and clip the fan lead and let er rip. See if it overheats or not. The cases are pretty open. Doesn't seem like a lot of heat would build up.

If you try that let us know how it turns out.  I for one would be interested in the results.  Like Nathan touches on though, where the fan is actually located will probably determine the viability of removing it.  On the flip side though, replacing the fans with something better will probably be cheaper overall than cooking a few fixtures to death... 

On a somewhat related note, given the quantity of fixtures you're looking to buy have you considered importing directly?  I know a few people who have done this - mixed results as can be expected, but you have a bit more control over things like component quality without excessive price.  Not that this industry needs another importer of budget LED fixtures, but I'm sure you could make a market beyond your own uses among the community here.  Good luck!

Michael Hart

I can't say that I've found the fans on mine to be overly loud but the motors, especially when panning, are quite noisy.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

I can't say that I've found the fans on mine to be overly loud but the motors, especially when panning, are quite noisy.

Wow, thats an incredible statement. Which China lights do you use?

I have never found that to be the case with anything remotely 'Chinese-ie'

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

I know you said you wanted wash & around $100. But have you considered going with fewer/better lights?

Such as LED Beam movers like the Blizzard Blade (or a Chinese knockoff) or something similar?

Or a wash with zoom feature?

That way you can incorporate the fixtures into future stage designs?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

I know you said you wanted wash & around $100. But have you considered going with fewer/better lights?

Such as LED Beam movers like the Blizzard Blade (or a Chinese knockoff) or something similar?

Or a wash with zoom feature?

That way you can incorporate the fixtures into future stage designs?

I wouldn't mind it, but on this particular stage anything bigger (physical size) than a Mac101 would be quite cumbersome. It's a small stage and I want these on upright truss. Plus they aren't competing with super bright pars or anything. So a cheaper smaller fixture will work. But yeah, if anybody has a small pile of 101's out there for a benjamin each, I'm all ears! lol

Also, having seen Blizzard blades in the wild I wasn't impressed with the saturation of the colors. Specifically the Blue was more of a "Roscoe 119" shade of blue. Instead of the deeper darker blue of the Chauvet Legend fixtures I was using at the time. The mismatch was very noticable.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

I wouldn't mind it, but on this particular stage anything bigger (physical size) than a Mac101 would be quite cumbersome. It's a small stage and I want these on upright truss. Plus they aren't competing with super bright pars or anything. So a cheaper smaller fixture will work. But yeah, if anybody has a small pile of 101's out there for a benjamin each, I'm all ears! lol

Also, having seen Blizzard blades in the wild I wasn't impressed with the saturation of the colors. Specifically the Blue was more of a "Roscoe 119" shade of blue. Instead of the deeper darker blue of the Chauvet Legend fixtures I was using at the time. The mismatch was very noticable.

Fair enough, but that last statement doesn't jive with $Ben price tags  :P

Good luck!

FWIW, just picked up some ZW19's from CristieLites used sales for a steal. I love them.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.