ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody found a small moving wash that works? Talking China lights here...  (Read 5605 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

So, in our Youth room I'd like to put a bunch of small moving washes out on upright truss. Probably 3 to a truss, maybe 18-20 over all. Now this is a small stage so this is totally just wiggling eye-candy.

Something like the Inno Pocket Z4 would be awesome. Especially if I had 20+ of them, but they are over 300 bucks each. I'm looking for something much more cost effective, so I'm kinda stuck looking at Chicom lights.

Does anybody have something they've used that might work for this? I see good things about the Lixada 105W on ebay, but everybody says they are loud, and since this is a church service in a smaller room, that's probably a deal breaker.

What's out there, under 100 bucks a light, but works OK, and isn't real loud? Stuff from Mao's Big Rock Candy Mountain is OK with me, since these might be recycled by next year when we change up the set again.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports

I keep looking at the Monoprice units for a "don't care if it gets thrashed" option, but have yet to actually get one to try out.  There are two washes in the lower end of the price spectrum:

A 7x12W RGBW w/Zoom and a 7x10W RGBW.  I can't say if they'd work in your application, but they probably tick the price point, especially the 7x10W. 

Pricing is a bit better if you log in, and with quantity.  And as with anything of that level of quality, I'd expect to order 20 and have to exchange a couple.

Michael Hart

So, in our Youth room I'd like to put a bunch of small moving washes out on upright truss. Probably 3 to a truss, maybe 18-20 over all. Now this is a small stage so this is totally just wiggling eye-candy.

Something like the Inno Pocket Z4 would be awesome. Especially if I had 20+ of them, but they are over 300 bucks each. I'm looking for something much more cost effective, so I'm kinda stuck looking at Chicom lights.

Does anybody have something they've used that might work for this? I see good things about the Lixada 105W on ebay, but everybody says they are loud, and since this is a church service in a smaller room, that's probably a deal breaker.

What's out there, under 100 bucks a light, but works OK, and isn't real loud? Stuff from Mao's Big Rock Candy Mountain is OK with me, since these might be recycled by next year when we change up the set again.

I have some of the lixada lights, 7 x 10w, which are pretty similar to the monoprice ones linked.  They work fine for what they are.  Downsides are that QC is a bit hit-and-miss (I ordered two, one was sent back and the replacement needed to be opened up and screws tightened before it worked properly), they are a bit noisy when moving (I have nothing to compare it to but loud music drowns the movement out) and, if relevant for your usage, you cannot disable to strobing effect in any of the 'auto' modes so you would need to use a controller to stop things getting too jazzy!

John L Nobile

I keep looking at the Monoprice units for a "don't care if it gets thrashed" option, but have yet to actually get one to try out.  There are two washes in the lower end of the price spectrum:

A 7x12W RGBW w/Zoom and a 7x10W RGBW.  I can't say if they'd work in your application, but they probably tick the price point, especially the 7x10W. 

Pricing is a bit better if you log in, and with quantity.  And as with anything of that level of quality, I'd expect to order 20 and have to exchange a couple.

The 7x10W fixture is probably as bright as the Rush MH2's we bought 6 or 7 years ago. For a LOT more money. I may look into getting some of the 7x 12W fixtures when we get back to having concerts. And they should be even cheaper then.

Steve Garris

I've used a bunch of those 7x10W for years. They are actually pretty bright and work well for my needs. I haven't had any problems with any of them, but I have (2) that move at a different speed than the rest. I just make sure those are symmetrical on my light trees, and it still looks good. Yes they are a little noisy, and the Auto and Sound activated programs have strobing. BTW they are a lot cheaper on ebay:
https://ebay.to/39BOIeP

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

The noise level is the deal breaker...

Cheap <> Quiet [choose one]

I'd get the cheapest light I can find on Alibaba that the seller has good metrics (feedback, length open, etc). Buy 24 of them. Replace the fans with quieter versions from Digi-Key.
That's basically what I do.

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas

I have some of the lixada lights, 7 x 10w, which are pretty similar to the monoprice ones linked.  They work fine for what they are.  Downsides are that QC is a bit hit-and-miss (I ordered two, one was sent back and the replacement needed to be opened up and screws tightened before it worked properly), they are a bit noisy when moving (I have nothing to compare it to but loud music drowns the movement out) and, if relevant for your usage, you cannot disable to strobing effect in any of the 'auto' modes so you would need to use a controller to stop things getting too jazzy!
Thanks,

These would be dmx controlled. It's a Youth Service so full-on rock'n'roll lights are what's expected. For comparison I have Intimidator Scan 305's and some ADJ Saber Spots already. These fixtures are "good for the low end" but not exactly like having a room full of Sharpy's. Still, for this sized room they are about perfect. This is about a 200 cap room with a stage that's about 25' by 15'.

What I've read is that the fans are loud. I wonder if they would overheat If I just clipped the lead for the fan? They aren't in sealed cases or anything, and these will live indoors.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas

The noise level is the deal breaker...

Cheap <> Quiet [choose one]

I'd get the cheapest light I can find on Alibaba that the seller has good metrics (feedback, length open, etc). Buy 24 of them. Replace the fans with quieter versions from Digi-Key.
That's basically what I do.

Yeah. I might just buy one and clip the fan lead and let er rip. See if it overheats or not. The cases are pretty open. Doesn't seem like a lot of heat would build up.

John L Nobile

Yeah. I might just buy one and clip the fan lead and let er rip. See if it overheats or not. The cases are pretty open. Doesn't seem like a lot of heat would build up.

My thought is that if the fan wasn't needed, they wouldn't have put one there and saved money.

I do like Nathan's idea though.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

Yeahhh, no. Have you felt how hot the backsides of LED's can get?

I mean I guess if you only need them to run a year. You could also cap the max at 85% or something in software.

PSU caps will dry out super fast at higher temp, LED's will fail early and start flickering or behaving 'strange'

Easier to modify with a 12v fan controller for 5-10$ from eBay and run the fans as low speed as possible.
60$ in labor + 5$ in parts + 100$ fixture = $165 fixture. Not bad...Kinda close to your 100$ number.

I've also used fan speed temp controllers and they work really well. Get some thermal glue for the thermistor and you're off to the races.

search terms:
"Automatic Temperature Control CPU Fan Speed DC Controller 12V"
"PWM DC 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A Motor Speed Control Switch Controller"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:43:46 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.