ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Sound Trinity  (Read 3785 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: PK Sound Trinity
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »

One of the Broadway shops (Sound Associates?  Masque?) did a retrofit movement package for at least one model of Meyer vertical array and I recall a comment here at PSW attesting to the usefulness of this feature for the shows that used it.

Yep, that was a Meyer M2D rig from Sound Associates for the Movin' Out tour I think.  It's been a few years since I talked to Dom from SA about it.  Modified hospital bed motors, IIRC. 

Funny, this exact thing came up in a similar thread a year ago.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »

Do you know for a fact they made an investment or only that they have a system in their inventory?  There's a difference, and if I were a speaker manufacturer, giving a system to someone like Clair could potentially be a very good marketing move.  A Clair tour came through a small 700 cap. venue I usually supply stacks and racks for and they had a Bose line array.  I don't know for sure, but I was told Bose gave it to Clair.
Did it sound good?
Because with the right people running any rig it really doesn't matter what name is on it.
I also can't imagine Clair tolerating anything that was crappy either, even if they were "given" it.  Just them using it brings my opinion of that particular product up significantly.

Likewise for PK,
Many years ago I dismissed them as "just another DJ outfit", quite possibly unfairly, but with all the other established high-quality manufacturers out there why did I want to waste time with an upstart that was initially marketing for EDM use?  I had l'acoustics, d&b and Meyer all established and more than capable to fill those needs. 
First impressions form biases and the years go by. 
So it's good to see a small Canadian prairie province company having success, growing larger and gaining respect.  It's also nice to see more North American "home grown" manufacturers.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 04:52:57 PM »

Did it sound good?
[...]

I'm not sure this question is even in the top five for most of the major sound providers. (Durability, truck pack, load-in/-out ease, service/parts availability, expected ROI, resale value, etc.)

At the end of the day, Clair wants to close the deal; if the client wants PK (or Bose, or Toa) Clair will figure out how to get it, regardless of how they feel about it. What I think is telling is that all of the audio trade press articles on the "Burning Man" tour are about the PK PA, and not a single one of them mentions Clair.

-Russ

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »

Did it sound good?
Because with the right people running any rig it really doesn't matter what name is on it.
I also can't imagine Clair tolerating anything that was crappy either, even if they were "given" it.  Just them using it brings my opinion of that particular product up significantly.
Most shops will provide the gear that the sound designer/system designer specs because that's what the job requires. Many times sound designers will spec something because they want to try it out and see how it will fare in their shows or on the road.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.