ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any full range speakers with the bass power of a sub?  (Read 6181 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Any full range speakers with the bass power of a sub?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »

Out of production, by a long shot, but a pair of old JBL 4699s might do the trick.  Just under 200lbs, IIRC, but very affordable on the used market.
This space for rent

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »

Out of production, by a long shot, but a pair of old JBL 4699s might do the trick.  Just under 200lbs, IIRC, but very affordable on the used market.

A pair of STX-835's may be what you are after. They are heavy bitches.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »

Meyer MTS4. Discontinued, but a great sounding "full range" 4 way speaker. Big and heavy but sounds great with plenty of deep bass.

Mac

I have a pair of the updated/discontinued mts4a's that have only seen home use.  Still my reference standard to compare stuff to, after I've tied together various subs and mains.
Must admit, it makes me smile to hear you think they sound great....I don't get to hear all that many rigs to compare to......

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »

EAW made an 18" 3-way back in the mid 1980's.  I don't remember the model number but is was similar the the JBL SR or SRX box.  Vented 18", sealed 12", large format horn.  It was a reasonable side fill, but you had to elevate the box to get the horn at head level or above, and it was BIG.  A two or three man lift.  I never got an answer as to what current gear Mr. Henderson has.  And, if it's just for "family" and easy of use, I would think an active two-way box over an active sub (left stacked and plugged together?) would be easier to use than anything passive unless the amp(s) are racked up and a Speakon or other multi-pin speaker cable is used on both ends.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

The mother of all full range boxes, a little tough to stack by yourself though!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 10:59:54 PM »

If this is for home use - the Danley SM100F or SM100B (the F has a stronger mid/high coax) might work.  The -100B is good down to 40Hz. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »

I was just thinking of getting a full range set of speakers for the family here which anyone of them can use on their own without having to interfere with mine.

So just something for the kids to play with at home? Get on Craigslist and look form a set of "Monkey Coffins".. '80's floor standing home audio speakers. Cerwin Vega made a bunch of different models for the home market with 12" or 15" drivers that could get quite loud and were much more full-range than most PA speakers.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »

So just something for the kids to play with at home? Get on Craigslist and look form a set of "Monkey Coffins".. '80's floor standing home audio speakers. Cerwin Vega made a bunch of different models for the home market with 12" or 15" drivers that could get quite loud and were much more full-range than most PA speakers.

I have pair of Cerwin Vega's RE-30's sitting in my basement. Haven't used them in years. They are loud enough to be "gig-worthy" and have a lot of bass if that is what you are after. They have been used as subs, and a for jamming with a bass synth. While they certainly don't win any awards in the fidelity department they do sound better than most cheap PA speakers in my opinion. As bonus there is a fuse between the amp and drivers, should you do something stupid.

They can usually be found for $50-400 a pair on craigslist. If memory serves they are not to picky on the amp (they are efficient) so most any home amp should do the trick.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 11:56:51 PM »

I have pair of Cerwin Vega's RE-30's sitting in my basement. Haven't used them in years. They are loud enough to be "gig-worthy" and have a lot of bass if that is what you are after. They have been used as subs, and a for jamming with a bass synth. While they certainly don't win any awards in the fidelity department they do sound better than most cheap PA speakers in my opinion. As bonus there is a fuse between the amp and drivers, should you do something stupid.

They can usually be found for $50-400 a pair on craigslist. If memory serves they are not to picky on the amp (they are efficient) so most any home amp should do the trick.

Wow, brings back memories. Way way way back, long ago, I had a pair of V20s over V30s. Drive was DC300s. I am better now, thank you.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Henderson

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »

I never got an answer as to what current gear Mr. Henderson has.  And, if it's just for "family" and easy of use, I would think an active two-way box over an active sub (left stacked and plugged together?) would be easier to use than anything passive unless the amp(s) are racked up and a Speakon or other multi-pin speaker cable is used on both ends.

Oh sorry Don. I use 2 Crown 3600's with DBX 2231 eq, Ashly XR1001 Crossover, Allen and heath Xone 23 DJ Mixer. Sonic R218 Subs and EV Eliminator i Tops.

Yes, just a separate simple 2-3 way speaker system with heavy bass for family use is what I am thinking with it's own amp/receiver and eq.

Thanks for all of those suggestions guys.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:25:09 AM by Mike Henderson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.