ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any full range speakers with the bass power of a sub?  (Read 6272 times)

Mike Henderson

Any full range speakers with the bass power of a sub?
« on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »

Hey guys, is there any full range 18" 2 or 3 way speaker which has the bass of a sub? I have a dual 18" sub and tops which I run a crossover but I am thinking of getting a full range speaker which can give deep powerful bass.

David Allred

Re: Any full range speakers with the bass power of a sub?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »

Hey guys, is there any full range 18" 2 or 3 way speaker which has the bass of a sub? I have a dual 18" sub and tops which I run a crossover but I am thinking of getting a full range speaker which can give deep powerful bass.
Separate sub & top cabs give you 2 manageable pieces and the ability to get the top cab up in the air (stacked or on a stand).
Sub included cab would be monstrous to manage and no good (easy) way to get the mid/high up in the air.
2-way... no way.
3-way as a minimum.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »

There are but they are just as big if not bigger than your dual 18 subs. There is no free lunch when it comes to sub bass.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »

Danley J1... 6x18" drivers ;)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »

Meyer MTS4. Discontinued, but a great sounding "full range" 4 way speaker. Big and heavy but sounds great with plenty of deep bass.

Mac

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »

Danley SM80F might do the trick. And it "only" weighs 215 pounds.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 04:44:10 PM »

One important question.  What dual 18" sub do you have?  If it is passive, what amp is it powered with?  Not all dual 18s" are created equal!  There may be some smaller cabinets that can equal (or exceed) the output and frequency range of what you have.  I said "may".  What is your system used for?  Gotta know what the starting point is.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »

FWIW, one of my earlier PA systems involved main speakers using subwoofer drivers. 15" 2-ways.
Because the 15"s were capable of great excursion and lots of power handling, the >100Hz efficiency suffered. A good 12" midbass unit would keep up just fine in that region.

A 2x18"+12"+1", possibly using a coaxial, might be fun, but I'd rather put the mid-high box above people's heads and get the projection.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Henderson

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »

One important question.  What dual 18" sub do you have?  If it is passive, what amp is it powered with?  Not all dual 18s" are created equal!  There may be some smaller cabinets that can equal (or exceed) the output and frequency range of what you have.  I said "may".  What is your system used for?  Gotta know what the starting point is.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have my DJ rig setup for myself but I was just thinking of getting a full range set of speakers for the family here which anyone of them can use on their own without having to interfere with mine.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have my DJ rig setup for myself but I was just thinking of getting a full range set of speakers for the family here which anyone of them can use on their own without having to interfere with mine.

The Danley SM80F comes fairly close, but even that doesn't play deep 'sub' bass.  d&b GSL sort of does, but only makes sense for large areas and if you have very healthy pockets.

Soundbridge many years ago made a three way box for this exact purpose, but it's a step down from any decent separate box solution. 

Two big issues - you can't get the mids/highs above people's heads for even front to rear coverage, and the physical size and power requirements for bass are much higher than for mids/highs.  While it is possible to build a true full-range speaker - the logistics of putting huge heavy boxes in the air doesn't make sense for small SoS size setups, only for larger installations and shows. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.