ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X32 Reverbs - are they all using the same algorithm?  (Read 3378 times)

Tiago de Sousa

First of all let me say I have no problems or quals with the Behringer X32, I think it's a great product and I like the overall sound quality.
You opinion might be different I respect that but this is my personal opinion.

I'm writing in respect of the different X32 reverbs in the rack:

Does anyone else notice that all the Reverbs in the X32 seem to sound the same? Some have longer or shorter decay, pre-delay or not but the reverb sound the same independently of the patch used. It's like even though the patches say totally different things like "Plate", "Hall", Vintage Reverb" soundwise it seems the same algorithm is used.
Does anyone have the same opinion or it's just me?

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions and personal experience

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF

Tiago de Sousa

Re: Behringer X32 Reverbs - are they all using the same algorithm?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »

See this thread regarding X32/M32 reverb.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,171773.msg1581782.html#msg1581782

Thank you so much for the thread Kevin, nice read.

Still my question is relevant, would love to know if other people feel the same thing

Thank you

JohnPinchin

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »

Yes - I was thinking something similar yesterday when setting up a showfile ready for a streaming gig on saturday.   If you load up two different reverb models and give them the same settings there isn't much to pick between them imo- I assume people with better ears than me can tell the differences more clearly. 

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »

Thank you so much for the thread Kevin, nice read.

Still my question is relevant, would love to know if other people feel the same thing

Thank you

I realized afterward that the tread I linked to didn't directly answer your question. I thought it contained my view on the similarity of the reverb algorithm but I guess I posted that part elsewhere. So yes it sounds to me like all of the X32/M32 reverb algorithms are basically all the same, just some have different parameters that you can adjust. The new Wing console isn't that way. Whole playing with vocal reverbs I found that i liked the sound of 2 reverbs for the same voice at the same time rather then just the one. I guess the next thing to check is can one reverb effect slot be made to sound like the 2 slightly different ones.   

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 12:51:29 AM »

So yes it sounds to me like all of the X32/M32 reverb algorithms are basically all the same, just some have different parameters that you can adjust.

Thanks, nice to know I'm not the only one.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:59:16 AM »

They sound the same, or way too similar, to me as well.
That's why I carried a Lexicon, on tour, for vocals.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:07 AM »

They sound the same, or way too similar, to me as well.
That's why I carried a Lexicon, on tour, for vocals.

I think with all of the different parameters that you can adjust, that they can definitely sound different.

The reverb settings in the attached Dropbox link (with txt instructions) work really well for Vocal reverbs IMO. Just change the pre-delay time and the reverb decay time to taste. Also I like to roll off the highs and the lows in the mix bus feed to the reverb and also compress the feed also.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d5xojs0hqrip3ml/AABEJdyXu6c_GialdUNjrb8-a?dl=0

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 05:19:04 AM »

I think with all of the different parameters that you can adjust, that they can definitely sound different.

Algorithm still sounds the same or pretty similar.
When I change an Hall for a Plate, I'm expecting to listen a different thing.
When I change a Plate for a Room, I'm expecting to listen to a Room not the same reverb as the plate with less decay.

I can make the Reverbs work by tweaking them no problems, I'm not looking for a solution, I just really wanted to know if other people also had the same feeling.

Now I know
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:21:12 AM by Tiago de Sousa »

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 06:10:18 PM »

Algorithm still sounds the same or pretty similar.
When I change an Hall for a Plate, I'm expecting to listen a different thing.
When I change a Plate for a Room, I'm expecting to listen to a Room not the same reverb as the plate with less decay.

I can make the Reverbs work by tweaking them no problems, I'm not looking for a solution, I just really wanted to know if other people also had the same feeling.

Now I know
Thanks

If you get a chance I would love to hear what you think of the reverbs that I posted the link to. I like to stock unmodified Plate Reverb on horns but not on vocals. But the settings I came up with are different.

I was recently playing a 3 track recording with a vocal track and 2 guitar tracks. I was using a Wing console and I was playing with the different revers on that. They are definitely different but they also have some of the reverbs from the X32/M32. The one thing I found that I liked the best involved having 2 different reverbs with different decay time on the same vocal source. 

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »

I don't think they do. I use different ones on different days for different reasons. I can't say that I have ever noticed that switching from one to the other didn't really change much other than pre-delay and tails. I feel there is enough of a difference in each one that when previewing them, there is one that will fit closest to your needs without too much parameter tweaking.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.