ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent signal drop and distortion during live event  (Read 3272 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Intermittent signal drop and distortion during live event
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »

+1 on Art's diagnosis - sounds like a mic issue to me. Humidity can cause condensers to drop out completely.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »

Hi Chris-

I've also read the replies you got over at Controlbooth.com and I think the audio cut-out is at the head end.  That you could see/hear it at the mixer means you can eliminate all *hardware* that comes after the mixer as part of that problem.

Your video problems are likely related to the use of UTP for the HDMI converters (I've only used them on the output - display and projector side - and wasn't aware they would work for cameras, we usually convert to SDI for that).

That you could not replicate *any* of these problems back at the shop is frustrating.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Jolocon

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »

Hi, I will double check the shotgun mic. It had a windscreen on it the whole time and the presenters were wearing face masks the whole time which I think would rule out people as the condensation source. It was stored in a case the night before, then within a crate with lid, and the crate within a storage building. There was some wind throughout setup and the event, and a little bit of dew in the morning, but no precipitation.  There was more sun and rising temperatures as the event progressed, which does correlate with how the signal cleaned up on its own for the 2nd half of event. I will double check the other equipment at head of signal chain - xlr connections, cable, inputs of mixer.
HDMI to Cat6 boxes I used were Ocean Matrix: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244029-REG/ocean_matrix_omx_hdmi_hdbit_1080p_hdmi_extender_over.html

Any thoughts on whether shielded cat6 cable is necessary, or so long as it's twisted pair it's ok?
I see comprehensive makes a Cat6 cable that is Shielded, twisted pair,
https://www.comprehensiveco.com/store/p/19386-Cat6-Snagless-Solid-Shielded-Black-Patch-Cable-100ft.html

but also a more expensive one that is "heavy duty", twisted pair but does not mention shielding.
https://www.comprehensiveco.com/store/p/18848-Pro-AV/IT-CAT6-Heavy-Duty-Snagless-Patch-Cable-Black-100ft.html

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:02:38 PM by Chris Jolocon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.