ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator test / reset  (Read 1500 times)

Dave Guilford

Generator test / reset
« on: August 12, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »

I have a small multiquip DC7000ss generator.  Never have trouble.  Tested it last night in my driveway and no trouble. 
Got to a gig this morning and the GFCI reset keep tripping once any load is plugged in.   Luckily I have a breakout cable from the twist cable down to 4 plugs. The gfci keeps trying to  reset, but it doesn’t apply to twist lock connector so at least I can get by on this gig. But I keep hearing it try to reset, even though it’s already in the reset position.  If push it in, it pops back out in just a few seconds.

Never encountered this before.  What’s up?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Generator test / reset
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »

GFCIs do fail... but the load you are using today, is it the same as your test?  Same exact cables and cords?

I've found that some extension cords will trip an GFCI without an attached load, which means the cord is compromised or defective.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »

I'm a little confused. Is the GFCI tripping even with nothing plugged into it, now?

If so, it's probably a bad GFCI.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »

Is it a GFCI receptacle or a separate GFCI unit?  I've had cheap receptacles trip a GFCI they were down stream of before.

Keep in mind, the GFCI is checking for leakage current, so even condensation internally could cause it to see a fault.

I've always been one to not trust self tests-I want an external standard, but the only recommended way to test GFCIs is with the built in test button.  Supposedly it does a more through test than just a simple resistor to ground to create a ground fault.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.