ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House mix vs Video mix  (Read 748 times)

Kirby.Bakken

House mix vs Video mix
« on: July 17, 2020, 06:27:06 pm »

LS9 board, channels 1-32 are all full, and we've only ever used them to mix.  We've got Matrix 11/12 as physical feeds to our video stream/record setup.  We've got a Grand Piano in the Sanctuary, and if we set the overall mix so that the Video mix is good, the Piano totally overwhelms the Sanctuary mix.  One way to fix this is to duplicate 1-32 to 33-64, and then use Layer 2 to feed our Video mix, and then mix EVERYTHING the same, except the piano, which would be much higher on Layer 2.  But is there a more clever/easier way to do this?  Duplicating all of the sliders basically doubles the SB operator job.  If we DID do that solution, we can use an iPad to control Layer 2, but now we have two SB operators, one for the House, and one for the Video. 

Any ideas?

Thank you!  Kirby

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: House mix vs Video mix
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 06:41:25 pm »

LS9 board, channels 1-32 are all full, and we've only ever used them to mix.  We've got Matrix 11/12 as physical feeds to our video stream/record setup.  We've got a Grand Piano in the Sanctuary, and if we set the overall mix so that the Video mix is good, the Piano totally overwhelms the Sanctuary mix.  One way to fix this is to duplicate 1-32 to 33-64, and then use Layer 2 to feed our Video mix, and then mix EVERYTHING the same, except the piano, which would be much higher on Layer 2.  But is there a more clever/easier way to do this?  Duplicating all of the sliders basically doubles the SB operator job.  If we DID do that solution, we can use an iPad to control Layer 2, but now we have two SB operators, one for the House, and one for the Video. 

Any ideas?

Thank you!  Kirby

One way to deal with it is to use groups to to feed the record matrix so you can balance sections of the band, BGV, Lead voc, pastor etc. You can then make a mix of those groups into the matrix so the record has a different balance than the PA.

Mac

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:38:36 pm »

LS9 board, channels 1-32 are all full, and we've only ever used them to mix. 

Do you have a free pair of mix buses?
You can set one pair up as post-fader and then control the video mix "relative" to the house mix. In that scenario, most faders would be at 0 with the piano channel boosted.
You could then control the pans separately as well.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:43:28 pm »

I have two ways to deal with this.

One is a variation of Mac's suggestion, but using groups to the main mix to compensate for stage volume. One group is the record/broadcast bus that is not assigned to the main mix. Everything gets assigned to the record/broadcast bus and a complete mix is done on faders. The other buses are assigned to the main mix. Higher stage volume sources go to lower groups, or even simply don't get assigned to the main mix at all (snare, typically).

Option two is to mix for the house on a post fader send and use faders to build the record/broadcast mix. The post fader channel levels compensate for differences in stage volume, but you can still ride faders to keep vocals balanced etc.

Bill Meeks

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »

We have an LS9, and this is how we do it.

First, I'm thinking you are mistaken with your terminology. The LS9 only has 8 matrices ( MATRIX 1 through MATRIX 8 ). I think you are actually referring to the OMNI OUTS. There are 16 of those, and they can be patched to any MIX or MATRIX on the LS9.

So like Corey suggested, hopefully you have a free MIX pair you can use. That makes adjusting the "sends" of a given channel easier. For our setup, I chose MIX 11/12 (a stereo configured mix) for the livestream broadcast audio. I assigned MIX 11 and 12 to OMNI OUTS 11 and 12. Next, for any channel that is going to the broadcast mix, I set a "send level" for MIX 11/12 on that channel. For each MIX send you have the option of pre-fader or post-fader. I use a mixture, but the vast majority are post-fader. For your grand piano, you could use post-fader and then boost what you send to the broadcast mix. You have up to +10 dB of extra gain (if I am recalling correctly). So you could adjust your broadcast mix of the piano to be up to 10 dB "hotter" than the house mix. If you need more than that, you would have to take one of the other approaches mentioned above.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 08:24:37 pm »

You can set one pair up as post-fader and then control the video mix "relative" to the house mix. In that scenario, most faders would be at 0 with the piano channel boosted.
This :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 12:56:25 am »

That is my usual go to set up where someone want an almost set and forget live stream feed and they have the mix to spare.

Don't forget to apply some moderate to boarder line heavy compression to the overall live stream mix/feed.

Kirby.Bakken

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:04:08 pm »

I setup a pair of Mix buses, and this is exactly the right solution.  Thanks everyone!

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »

I setup a pair of Mix buses, and this is exactly the right solution.  Thanks everyone!

Nah. The solution is always to buy more equipment. You need a 2nd LS9 (and a backup too) and some expensive cards so you can connect them together and get your broadcast mix from the 2nd mixer. But don't stop there. You also need a separate mixing suite with acoustical treatment (including isolation) and expensive near-field monitors. You can call it the "International Broadcast Prayer Closet". You can pay for this from the proceeds of your "streaming ministry".

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic. I'm currently dealing with finding broadcast mix options for a Roland V-mix installation. V-mix is now almost obsolete and I'm finding a lot of dead ends wrt low cost solutions.
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.