ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do Engineers want to see from Manufacturers during COVID times?  (Read 4139 times)

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com

With live shows on hold for the most part, what do engineers want to see manufacturers doing in this time?  There are plenty providing webinars, many have created online classes, certificate programs, what else (if anything) would you like to see manufacturers doing during this time?
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
Re: What do Engineers want to see from Manufacturers during COVID times?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »

With live shows on hold for the most part, what do engineers want to see manufacturers doing in this time?  There are plenty providing webinars, many have created online classes, certificate programs, what else (if anything) would you like to see manufacturers doing during this time?
Instructions for how to safely clean/sanitize equipment for those of us doing streaming programs. Primarily what cleaning products won't damage finishes or leak onto internal components.

Philip

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »

Instructions for how to safely clean/sanitize equipment for those of us doing streaming programs. Primarily what cleaning products won't damage finishes or leak onto internal components.

Philip

Hi Philip.   
If you reach out to me at [email protected] I can forward you our Tech Note regarding safely cleaning the consoles in the crazy times !
Best Regards!

Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 06:01:30 PM »

Hi Philip.   
If you reach out to me at [email protected] I can forward you our Tech Note regarding safely cleaning the consoles in the crazy times !
Best Regards!

Note sent.

Thanks!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:13:51 PM »

Hi Philip.   
Best Regards!
Why not just have a section on your website that has that info freely available for anyone who needs it, whenever they need it without having to go through the process of emailing and waiting for reply.

In fact, that should go for every manufacturer. They should ALL have that info freely available right on the front page of their website for everything they make: Consoles, microphones, cables, screens (especially touch screens), rack gear...anything that can be touched or coughed on by a human.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »

In fact, that should go for every manufacturer. They should ALL have that info freely available right on the front page of their website for everything they make: Consoles, microphones, cables, screens (especially touch screens), rack gear...anything that can be touched or coughed on by a human.
+1 to this. I see no reason that this shouldn't stay on the front page of every manufacture til "Covid is done"

Philip

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 11:40:30 PM »

Chip, you don't have to go on record as telling people how to be Virus Snipers.  To clean your consoles and accessories we need to know what products should be avoided, what products can be used occasionally, what can be used routinely; we need to know what techniques to use and precautions to take to avoid damaging the product (silk screened legends, plastics, buttons, knobs, inside stuff too) we are cleaning.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 05:41:47 AM »

Why not just have a section on your website that has that info freely available for anyone who needs it, whenever they need it without having to go through the process of emailing and waiting for reply.

+1

As a Digico owner, I'd say that's one of the annoying things with Digico. They have a tech note for everything, but you have to call/mail to get it. Why not just have the information easily available?

Same goes for every other manufacturer out there. I don't buy your product to become a member of a "secret über club" where hand signs and smoke signals are required to navigate, I buy them to do a job and would really like to have all info available to me so I can support your products out in the field.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »

Another Digico owner here.  Thankfully all those things are downloadable from the website (second one down).

https://digico.biz/base_product/all-technical-notes/

I know that not all the tech notes have been that easily accessible, and there are some that are more detailed service tech notes that are not readily available (rightly so), but they seem to do a pretty decent job of updating their support documentation via the website fairly regularly.

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »

Thank you brian.  As you see there is a great deal of information available from our web page but certain things obviously cannot be posted for all to see without Atleast ensuring that the person requesting the information even owns the console as there are times when the owner may not want something done to their gear. 

Another Digico owner here.  Thankfully all those things are downloadable from the website (second one down).

https://digico.biz/base_product/all-technical-notes/

I know that not all the tech notes have been that easily accessible, and there are some that are more detailed service tech notes that are not readily available (rightly so), but they seem to do a pretty decent job of updating their support documentation via the website fairly regularly.
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »

Thank you brian.  As you see there is a great deal of information available from our web page but certain things obviously cannot be posted for all to see without Atleast ensuring that the person requesting the information even owns the console as there are times when the owner may not want something done to their gear.
You do realize that 90% of the people who use your consoles don't actually own the consoles, or work for the company who does own the console, right? They are owned by production companies and rental houses and are assigned to shows for use for some period of time by an engineer hired by the show/band/artist/venue that is producing the show.

That is one of the biggest that Yamaha is so much better of a manufacturer. Everything is freely available for download on their website without having to register or get some stupid secret code to get to the actual useful information that I need to do the job that I have been hired to do. Digico consoles are already hard enough to use. This shouldn't be one extra step to make them even harder to use in these times.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 04:21:07 AM »

That is one of the biggest that Yamaha is so much better of a manufacturer. Everything is freely available for download on their website without having to register or get some stupid secret code to get to the actual useful information that I need to do the job that I have been hired to do. Digico consoles are already hard enough to use. This shouldn't be one extra step to make them even harder to use in these times.

Respectfully disagree on this one.  Anything any user needs to "do their job" is freely downloadable from the Digico website, and then some.  But a user does not need to know how to, for example, install a Waves card on a desk, or other things that might require you to 'pop the hood'.  If you're doing something like that on the road, you've likely already talked to someone in factory support, have the parts/install kit, and have spoken to the owner of the desk.  But your average user doesn't need that info on the fly, and if someone needs to be under the hood of one of my desks on the road, regardless of whose name is on the desk, I'd like to know about it.  The only thing that I'm aware of you need to register and sign in for on the Digico site is a Core 2 or SD12-96 upgrade, which also requires payment - and you're damn right I want that info behind a password.

I know that Yamaha, Avid and other manufacturers also have technical documents that are not freely available and/or posted to their website.  It's been a while since I've been poking around either one of theirs, but I know for a fact back when the 01V had a PSU grounding issue, that documentation wasn't just freely available - you had to confirm with a serial number that you had an issue, and then they would send you the document for the fix.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »

Philip

Visit practicalshowtech.com for compiled list of manufacturer cleaning recommendations
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »

Visit practicalshowtech.com for compiled list of manufacturer cleaning recommendations

Hi Fellas
        Here is the link to Calrec recommendations for cleaning these surfaces.

https://calrec.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/COVID-19-cleaning-recommendations.pdf
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »

Respectfully disagree on this one.  Anything any user needs to "do their job" is freely downloadable from the Digico website, and then some.  But a user does not need to know how to, for example, install a Waves card on a desk, or other things that might require you to 'pop the hood'.  If you're doing something like that on the road, you've likely already talked to someone in factory support, have the parts/install kit, and have spoken to the owner of the desk.  But your average user doesn't need that info on the fly, and if someone needs to be under the hood of one of my desks on the road, regardless of whose name is on the desk, I'd like to know about it.  The only thing that I'm aware of you need to register and sign in for on the Digico site is a Core 2 or SD12-96 upgrade, which also requires payment - and you're damn right I want that info behind a password.

I know that Yamaha, Avid and other manufacturers also have technical documents that are not freely available and/or posted to their website.  It's been a while since I've been poking around either one of theirs, but I know for a fact back when the 01V had a PSU grounding issue, that documentation wasn't just freely available - you had to confirm with a serial number that you had an issue, and then they would send you the document for the fix.

At least some manufacturer make it easy to install Waves, Dante or any other card on their board   ;D.

But back to topic, cleaning recommendations will be very helpful at this time. Maybe one day there will be alliance for all-in-one cleaning solution that can be used to most major manufacturer for easy stocking up of cleaning product.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »

At least some manufacturer make it easy to install Waves, Dante or any other card on their board   ;D.

But back to topic, cleaning recommendations will be very helpful at this time. Maybe one day there will be alliance for all-in-one cleaning solution that can be used to most major manufacturer for easy stocking up of cleaning product.

The advice received so far shows that any cleaner that drips or runs into faders, switches, and controls is potentially damaging.  In some respects one really cannot "clean" a console to hygienic standards multiple times a day.  In situations with multiple operators it will likely be easier to simply give operators gloves, hand sanitizer, and a disposable stylus for touch screens.  UV-C is one possibility but it's detrimental to a number of finishes, inks, dyes and some plastic & rubber compounds.  Ditto for ozone.  So far no console maker has listed it as acceptable for routine use.

The PracticalShow.tech link Pete posted... go to the archive for the April 8 webinar and download Denise Woodward's power point presentation and other materials.  Since that was posted there have been some changes but it's still a good starting point.  Oh, watch the webinar, too.

Cleaning of multi-user items is part of the AES fall convention panel that Dan Mortensen has put together and Denise has contributed mightily to our understanding of various cleaners and shared the guidance she's received from manufacturers.  It will be updated for the AES panel.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »

There is official messaging from Avid regarding console cleaning, in general for the S6L system I personally recommend a UV-C cleaning program.  The consoles have been tested for 10 years of exposure to a UV-C cleaning regimen, and have been found to handle it as expected, with no noticeable fading or damage, and absolutely no functional damage.  Of course liquid based cleaners are also effective, but they are also higher risk only because liquids may drip into faders, encoders or buttons, and that simply can cause damage.  The 'safestt' recommendation is to use gloves when working on S6L systems, fortunately the touch control systems in S6L are capable of functioning fully when operated with gloves.

The official mesaging:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Console-Sterilization

The advice received so far shows that any cleaner that drips or runs into faders, switches, and controls is potentially damaging.  In some respects one really cannot "clean" a console to hygienic standards multiple times a day.  In situations with multiple operators it will likely be easier to simply give operators gloves, hand sanitizer, and a disposable stylus for touch screens.  UV-C is one possibility but it's detrimental to a number of finishes, inks, dyes and some plastic & rubber compounds.  Ditto for ozone.  So far no console maker has listed it as acceptable for routine use.

The PracticalShow.tech link Pete posted... go to the archive for the April 8 webinar and download Denise Woodward's power point presentation and other materials.  Since that was posted there have been some changes but it's still a good starting point.  Oh, watch the webinar, too.

Cleaning of multi-user items is part of the AES fall convention panel that Dan Mortensen has put together and Denise has contributed mightily to our understanding of various cleaners and shared the guidance she's received from manufacturers.  It will be updated for the AES panel.
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.