ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringing Kick Drum  (Read 5618 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: Ringing Kick Drum
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 08:36:14 PM »

It really depends on the source material, and the size of the gig. I know of only one kind of music which always requires a (strict) gate and a compressor: (dub)reggae.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »

@Debbie,

Yea, I have heard of this mythical "well tuned drum set with a well controlled drummer" ;).  I keep hoping to meet one in person :) :).  Maybe when this whole Corona Virus thing is over, I will get a chance to watch your chops on the mix board with one!

Ha ha  'mythical' - that's pretty close to the truth for sure! So rare but happens from time to time.... It would be great to meet you Scott and run a show together....on the other side of this......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 01:29:26 AM »

Ha ha  'mythical' - that's pretty close to the truth for sure! So rare but happens from time to time.... It would be great to meet you Scott and run a show together....on the other side of this......

Meet JR he is the unicorn https://youtu.be/a5zwJ_EbI_k
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »

Meet JR he is the unicorn https://youtu.be/a5zwJ_EbI_k

HAH - Nice Scott - thank you for sharing....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »

[...] Yea, I have heard of this mythical "well tuned drum set with a well controlled drummer" ;).  I keep hoping to meet one in person :) :).  [...]

There's loads of them out there, but most have no interest in rock and roll. That's one of the many reasons I like doing jazz: there are few better feelings that realizing that you need to turn the drum kit up because it's too quiet in the room. (The trumpet section, on the other hand...) :D

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 03:55:53 PM »

HAH - Nice Scott - thank you for sharing....

That's actually not JR's best work

Here is a jazz performance, he has such an amazing touch.  Just what y'all are talking about.  He also always has a great tune on his kit.

https://youtu.be/xKk4RKgwZMk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »

You got it Debbie!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »

Here is my solution to a ringing tom. (Photo attached) I discovered it years ago in my home studio and it works pretty well.

It's a basic memory foam pillow from Walmart. Place it between the kick and floor, but make certain that it doesn't touch the kick drum head. Then simply tune the drums to sound their best. It stops the energy from the kick getting to the tom's bottom head.

It is just standing on the floor and propped up by the floor tom.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:29:41 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »

I was helping a church yesterday and having just read this thread the other day helped me to not go attacking what I was told was a ringing kick drum with an electronic solution. I always try to listen to the source first but I sometimes I forget to do that.

So the short story is it was the bottom head on the floor tom. I asked if he had any sanitary napkins (is that what they are called) in the ladies room and he said he had some. So we stuck it to the bottom head and taped it to keep it in place and that fixed the ringing and it all took a lot less time than it would have if I hadn’t read this thread recently. I already knew of this trick, I just didn’t waste a lot of time because it was so fresh in my mind.
So Thank You all for your help.

Brandon Baker

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »

Here is my solution to a ringing tom. (Photo attached) I discovered it years ago in my home studio and it works pretty well.

It's a basic memory foam pillow from Walmart. Place it between the kick and floor, but make certain that it doesn't touch the kick drum head. Then simply tune the drums to sound their best. It stops the energy from the kick getting to the tom's bottom head.

It is just standing on the floor and propped up by the floor tom.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting fix. I find the use of some gels on the toms, good tuning and mic placement, along with gate and EQ can fix any drum issue I've come across.

Bass drum ringing only happens when I use a Shure Beta 52a. It picks up every little vibration on the stage, drum riser, all coming up through the stand. I'm not sure what OP is using, but 91a and D6 rein supreme in my opinion.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.