ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB1000 vs Sonic R218 bass??  (Read 8503 times)

Mike Henderson

EAW SB1000 vs Sonic R218 bass??
« on: July 12, 2020, 07:26:07 AM »

Hello all. I have this sonic here is you can have a look please?

https://www.sixstardj.com/sonicr218sub.html

The original subwoofers was replace with Eminence kilomax Pro which is 1400W Continuous and 2400W Peak. I get a lot of Depth with this cab and a serious grunt when the power is turned up. What this cab is lacking, for me, is punch and distance.

I listened to a friend's EAW SB1000 and that bass had roundness, punch and distance. A friend is tell me if I were to replace the Eminence will RCF I should get a similar output to the EAW. This is I am not seeing as the two cabs have different technology. Also when I compare the specs of both the EAW shows the better specs.

I have attached a screenshot of both Cab's specs, can you guys advise me on this please? Thanks.

MikeHarris

Re: EAW SB1000 vs Sonic R218 bass??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »

it is not mystic...its the rules you use your real name

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:13:17 AM »

I had written a nice, informative post, but I've deleted that.

You clicked through a lot of pages, and there are reminders everywhere (including the forum rules, which you're advised to read before posting) - fix your displayed name, and then we'll talk.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »

Hello all.

can you guys advise me on this please? Thanks.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Mike Henderson

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »

Hello all. I have this sonic here is you can have a look please?

https://www.sixstardj.com/sonicr218sub.html

The original subwoofers was replace with Eminence kilomax Pro which is 1400W Continuous and 2400W Peak. I get a lot of Depth with this cab and a serious grunt when the power is turned up. What this cab is lacking, for me, is punch and distance.

I listened to a friend's EAW SB1000 and that bass had roundness, punch and distance. A friend is tell me if I were to replace the Eminence will RCF I should get a similar output to the EAW. This is I am not seeing as the two cabs have different technology. Also when I compare the specs of both the EAW shows the better specs.

I have attached a screenshot of both Cab's specs, can you guys advise me on this please? Thanks.

Sorry about the username oversight guys, I have corrected it.

Please note that I had done some research on the net and on here regarding the SB1000 prior to creating this thread. My question relates to making a choice between replacing the Eminence woofers with RCF's on my Sonic or going with the SB 1000.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:06:38 PM by Mike Henderson »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »

Sorry about the username oversight guys, I have corrected it.

Please note that I had done some research on the net and on here regarding the SB1000 prior to creating this thread. My question relates to making a choice between replacing the Eminence woofers with RCF's on my Sonic or going with the SB 1000.

Replace the whole subs with SB1000's.  They shouldn't cost all that much more than just new drivers, assuming they are used.

There's a LOT more to subwoofers than just the drivers. 

SB1000's aren't exactly modern technology anymore.  Unless you found some for real cheap - there are multiple other options you should look at as well. 

Basically you noticed that older technology but not cheap - performs better than cheap.  Rather than rush to spend money - take the next step and look at current technology, then save funds and buy what fits best. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »

Your talking about two different leagues of subs here first or all.

The Kilomax is a fairly picky speaker as to the box it will work well in, it wants a decent
amount of cubic footage first of all.

Download WinISD speaker design program and do some reverse engineering, figure the internal cubic footage of you subs, measure the port dimensions, load some different 18 inch driver TS parameters into the program.

Loaded with correct drivers your subs would be decent.

Ok I just did a little work for you....
According to the Sonic link you provided the sub has a internal volume
of 16.4 cubic feet and is tuned to 32hz.

I ran a double 18 box loaded with two Kilomax 18's tuned to 32 hz.
With that it wanted a 46 cubic foot internal volume box.
I guessed the port on your sub to be about 23 inches wide, at that
width at the minimum it would need to be 10 inches tall with no ducting for a 46 cubic foot box.

In the attached picture the green line is the Kilomax speakers loaded into your sub tuned to 32 hz. The yellow line is Eminence Definimax 18's and the white line is Peavey Lowrider 18's.

I just tried a few RCF 18's that I thought would be worth trying and they did not model as well as the Lowrider or the Definimax did. Not that RCF 18's are bad in any, the one's I tried just want a different box.

The SB1000 is going to be assumingly built better than your Sonic cabinets.

As far front loaded 18 inch subs go there just a really well built box holding a speaker, the magic is the right driver matched to the box size, port size and desired compromise in output and frequency extension.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:32:06 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »

There is no fundamental difference in the EAW sub and yours except packaging, the SB1000 was just designed to allow more drivers to fit into a given radiating area. It uses better drivers than what your cabs contain but there are even better drivers available now and much more efficient cab designs, so depending how much time and money you want to invest into this upgrade you could potentially end up with several times more output in the same footprint.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 03:23:11 AM »

I wouldn't bother with the Kilomax drivers. They barely had enough motor for a 15" cone, let alone the 18" version. A modern high-power sub driver would cheerfully annihilate them, so long as your cabs are half-decent.

Take a look at B&C, Faital Pro, etc, to see what's out there.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Henderson

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

I wouldn't bother with the Kilomax drivers. They barely had enough motor for a 15" cone, let alone the 18" version. A modern high-power sub driver would cheerfully annihilate them, so long as your cabs are half-decent.

Take a look at B&C, Faital Pro, etc, to see what's out there.

Chris

Thanks for coming to my rescue guys. Sorry I did not want to create many posts responding to each of you so I will address all in this post.

From reading everyone's post I gather that yes, my instincts was correct that it would be better to go with the SB1000, thanks for settling that for me and I appreciate you taking the time to do all of that work for me Mike [Caldwell], thank you!

Caleb, yes, I had inquired about other speaker design options for punch bass on different forums but could not get an answer from anyone. As mentioned I loved the roundness, depth, distance and punch of SB1000. All of those features is what I am seeking. Especially though I want punch [boom] when the bass hits.

I had inquired into which types of cabinet design gives punch or rather what is it exactly in a speaker design which determines the amount of punch the cab would give. I had asked this question on forums and even of an experienced local speaker builder and he could not answer this question which surprised me I must say.

Then too, would a 15 or 18" be better for punch?

If you guys might be able to answer the above questions or at least recommend any other type cab I can look into which would give me the punch bass with a distance of say 20', I would appreciate it, thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.