ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Zen Studio, to keep or not to keep?  (Read 1059 times)

Steve Crump

Antelope Zen Studio, to keep or not to keep?
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »

First World problem here, but would love to hear some opinions.

Recently I saw a killer deal on a Antelope Zen Studio Plus at a respected dealer so I jumped. I have no real use at the moment for it, I just wanted a new toy I guess. When I received it the unit was not the Plus version (which is a later model and support by Catalina), I received the original Zen Studio which has been discontinued for a while. It was all newly packaged and looks to be and was sold as brand new, manufacturer's taping and all, so I have no doubt the unit is new, just old stock. Now I know why the price was so good. I contacted Antelope to ask about support and was told the unit has no official Catalina support, but a "work around" is offered and that Antelope can't advise that the unit will be supported by any OS version in the future, but the unit does support Windows 10. I spoke with the vendor and they will refund the unit 100%.

My question, would you return it? I use Windows 75% of the time when I record mobile anyway, so I could just dedicate a Windows 10 laptop to the unit and use it until it craps, maybe for years?. Would it bother you to know that product is already going out of support? Am I looking a gift horse in the mouth? Killer Price and all...

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Antelope Zen Studio, to keep or not to keep?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »

"The Wrong Piece Of Gear At The Right Price Is Still The Wrong Piece Of Gear."

Even if it supports Win10, you don't know when a Win10 update might "break" it, and by that point would the manufacturer still support it?  Questionable. 

My question, would you return it?

Yes.  See initial comment.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:55:06 PM »

I'd be very hesitant to keep it, unless perhaps if the price was insanely low. I'm guessing it was a good deal for you, but probably not that good.

I have a UAD Apollo x8p, and I got a pretty solid deal on it. I can tell you if I'd incorrectly received an Apollo 8 instead, I absolutely would have sent it back.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:02:28 AM »

If the sale that you agreed to was for a Plus version, and it was legitimately advertised as such, and they sent you the older one, that that's a pretty clear bait and switch. I would request the proper version from the vendor, or a full refund.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:10:06 AM »

Even if it supports Win10, you don't know when a Win10 update might "break" it, and by that point would the manufacturer still support it?  Questionable. 
Even going back to Windows 7, Windows had had a better track record of keeping compatibility for various audio gear between updates. And they certainly don't break or compatibility or take years longer to gain compatibility the way Mac OS has for some years now.

I let my Lenovo Windows 10 laptop install all the auto updates from MS and even Protools (the most finicky audio software on the planet) has worked fine for going on 4 years now. Meanwhile all the Mac guys are bitching and moaning about how long it takes for the Mac version to gain compatibility with the newest OS releases from Apple.

The only thing that doesn't work as well as I want it to is the Focusrite Red Net Control for my Red 8Pre, which is totally in the hands of Focusrite and not a Windows issue. It works with the Focusrite Control though.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Steve Crump

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »

I sent it back for a refund.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »

If the mfgr isn’t interested in keeping it updated for OS X then don’t expect them to update it for any other OS when that one breaks it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.