ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: The "We" in we're all in this... uh... deeply  (Read 23370 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: The "We" in we're all in this... uh... deeply
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »

Morally, it's the punters fault for not protecting themselves.
They bought tickets, they showed up, they did not distance, and a lot of them will very likely get very sick.
So sad, so preventable.

Assuming there were infected people at the event.  In ND worst county, roughly 1.3% of the population has tested positive.

As much as I hate the term "new normal", I think one shift that might be appropriate is that we need to learn to stay home if we are sick.  The old adage used to be "don't call in, crawl in", "the show must go on", etc.  As much as we emphasize using masks, distancing, etc.  I think one of the things that we need to talk about is being considerate of others and if sick, stay home!  Quarantine is a proven way to stop the spread.  Yes, I get it that there are asymptomatic people-but given that it is spread primarily through droplets exhaled, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or a degreed doctor) to figure out that someone who is symptomatic and coughing a lot is more likely to spread it than someone who is asymptomatic.

We are looking at thermal cameras for our facilities-under $5k-that can detect someone with a fever and either trigger a local alarm or send a pic to management.

The best way to mange this will be individual and corporate responsibility-just my opiniion.
Steve Swaffer

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »

Morally, it's the punters fault for not protecting themselves.
They bought tickets, they showed up, they did not distance, and a lot of them will very likely get very sick.
So sad, so preventable.

That right there is one of the myths that gets circulated around. Reality is, the vast majority will be able to go to an event and nothing will happen.  Some may catch an illness.  But of those that do, again, the majority will have nothing more than a cough or sniffles.  A few, however, could end up sick or dying from the disease.  The scary part is that even though we have a rough idea of who that might be, there are still those that end up being surprised when it impacts them worse than their neighbors.
Brian Jojade

John L Nobile

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »

I've always thought of it as 1 person infects 2 who give it to 4, 8 ,16 etc...

Very simple terms but it works for my limited knowledge of disease control. The process needs to stop somewhere in the chain or it expands out of control.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »

But of those that do, again, the majority will have nothing more than a cough or sniffles.

The part you left out is that they go on to transmit the disease to others. That's why it's a pandemic.

The transmission mechanisms are complex and we're learning more every day. Here's a good article.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6498/1422.full

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

The part you left out is that they go on to transmit the disease to others. That's why it's a pandemic.

The transmission mechanisms are complex and we're learning more every day. Here's a good article.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6498/1422.full

--Frank

I have been reminding my friends that six months ago we only had 4 confirmed cases in the country.  Sometimes that sinks in.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Peter Morris

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »

--Frank

... and ...

If you look at what has happen here in Australia, where a few weeks ago we had almost completely eliminated the virus, everyone had recovered or died.  The mortality rate was about 1%.  Statically it can be proved that we found almost every case, so this is a realistic number.  In the US the same statistical approach shows you may have 5 to 10 times more cases than have been reported ... and now I think hospitals have been directed not to report statistics to the CDC but the WH ...  :-X

Unfortunately for us this has now changed in the city of Melbourne were people failed to quarantine in a hotel and also as a result of a BLM protest. We are now struggling to contain it, with Melbourne being locked down again.  What is also apparent is how easily the virus spreads. There are new reports that the virus has mutated, the spike protein that attaches to our cells has changed making it 6 times more contagious, but the underlying severity of the disease is unchanged. 

In some countries were the health system is poor, the mortality rate appears to be higher around 3-4 %.  I suspect as everyone’s heath system becomes overloaded, as it is starting to in part of the US the mortality rate will increase.

It also appears that about 20% of people get serious symptoms (MedicalNewsToday). In Australia we are finding about 10% of cases end up in hospital.

If you have spoken to one of these people … you DO NOT what this disease.

The remaining 80% have mild or no symptoms.  The problem is that when they have taken chest X-rays of people in this group they still show some lung damage - scaring that MAY have impact later in life, but we don’t really know yet.

In very simple terms if there was a jar of 100 jelly beans on the table, 20 of which would make you very ill and one or two would kill you … you would not risk eating even one…. I don't understand why people are not doing every thing they can to protect themselves and others!

FWIW here are some testing statics – Number of Tests per Case. (Calculated from Worldometers stats)

USA – 12
Canada – 30
Germany – 31
Russia - 32
UK – 42
Australia – 307
China – 1076

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:30:11 PM by Peter Morris »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2020, 11:42:36 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »

Well kids, it's been nice knowing ya!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/marc-geiger-concerts-2022/
Before I went on tour, while we were still in tech, I had a dream that I was going to die on the road. That was one of the reasons that I tried to get off the tour.

Looking back at it now, I'm pretty sure that it was a premonition. Not about my corporeal life, but my career. I'm pretty sure this is it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

James Paul

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2020, 03:55:14 AM »

And yet by last check from last month news release https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2020/articles/looking-forward-2021,
NAMM 2021 is officially a go, all while The Tournament Of Roses Parade 2021 & Bowl Game cancellation was announced the past week.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »

And yet by last check from last month news release https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2020/articles/looking-forward-2021,
NAMM 2021 is officially a go, all while The Tournament Of Roses Parade 2021 & Bowl Game cancellation was announced the past week.
Wait a few months. We haven't seen the worst of this thing yet.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.