ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pipe and drape  (Read 4287 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Pipe and drape
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »

I'm really looking to tone down cymbals. A couple of the rooms I work they just take over.

Loudest sound at the mic, wins.  Downstage - which in a bar or most small clubs, is about 4 feet from the kit - you have the vocal/overhead mic(s).

Lighter sticks, darker cymbals, or a drummer that can consistently control the performance level.  Some velour, spaced off the wall, will help but mostly will create a dead area behind the drummer.  If used to hearing a more live tonality, the drummer is likely to play louder and harder.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jon mccumber

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »

Loudest sound at the mic, wins.  Downstage - which in a bar or most small clubs, is about 4 feet from the kit - you have the vocal/overhead mic(s).

Lighter sticks, darker cymbals, or a drummer that can consistently control the performance level.  Some velour, spaced off the wall, will help but mostly will create a dead area behind the drummer.  If used to hearing a more live tonality, the drummer is likely to play louder and harder.
I really like the idea of a more finished look of the drape. Am I just grasping at straws for an acoustical magic wand here?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »

I really like the idea of a more finished look of the drape. Am I just grasping at straws for an acoustical magic wand here?

How attached are you to the drummer?  You're looking for an electronic fix to an acoustic/human problem.  Loudest sound at the mic, wins.  "Captain, I canna change the laws of physics!" - Engineer Scott on Star Trek
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »

How attached are you to the drummer?  You're looking for an electronic fix to an acoustic/human problem.  Loudest sound at the mic, wins.  "Captain, I canna change the laws of physics!" - Engineer Scott on Star Trek

Loudest sound at the mic wins, but in a small space with a reflective back wall you're getting all of that HF drum kit energy reflected back at you (the audience)

Back when we actually had shows one of my first up-sells beyond basic PA and lights would be a backdrop. The taking point to the client would be how much better it will look, but really it's all about improving the sound coming off the stage.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:57 PM »

Like a few other comments, it sounds to me like you're looking for a backdrop rather than pipe and drape. You can tie a backdrop to practically anything, including truss, a pipe, or whatever else happens to be above the stage. The biggest decision is how large to make it, and do you want it to be one or two panels (or more, I guess). A backdrop with heavy velour and a lot of fullness will absorb more sound, but it'll cost (and weigh) more the heavier and fuller you go, so you'd need to find a balance that works for you.

Norcostco is my preferred backdrop manufacturer, due to their location and prices.

As mentioned, banjo cloth isn't what you're looking for. If you do go with pipe and drape, get medium weight velour panels.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »

I'm really looking to tone down cymbals. A couple of the rooms I work they just take over.

I bought a set of these and haven't had a drummer give me any problem with at least trying them out. Sometimes I only really needed to use it on one cymbal. I bought a second set because I would occasionally just let the drummer keep one of them.

https://www.cympad.com/160

jon mccumber

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »

actually I'm looking for an acoustical fix for an acoustical problem. Unless you can point me in the direction of some 5000 watt black velour@4 ohms.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 11:03:17 PM »

actually I'm looking for an acoustical fix for an acoustical problem. Unless you can point me in the direction of some 5000 watt black velour@4 ohms.
You seem to want a mechanical solution to a loud drummer. They used to use a hook 😁
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 12:14:51 AM »

Ooops... was confusing this with the thread about overhead mics.

jon mccumber

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »

You seem to want a mechanical solution to a loud drummer. They used to use a hook 😁
Ahh..... The good old days.; )

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.