ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Chauvet 'Laser Sky' effect  (Read 290 times)

Chris_Anderson

Help with Chauvet 'Laser Sky' effect
« on: July 07, 2020, 10:48:28 am »

Disclaimer: total rookie when it comes to lighting and related equipment. 

I just bought the Chauvet DJ Scorpion Dual FAT BEAM Aerial Effect Laser as I wanted to use it's 'laser sky' effect for parties at home.  The manual says nothing about the 'laser sky' and I'm only just starting to bring myself up to speed on the whole DMX protocol and how it works.  My question is, do I need to buy a separate DMX controller in order to get the Chauvet to do the laser sky effect?  I can manually set the starting DMX addresses on the unit itself but I can't find any sort of setting to do the laser sky.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Help with Chauvet 'Laser Sky' effect
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:25:47 pm »

Disclaimer: total rookie when it comes to lighting and related equipment. 

I just bought the Chauvet DJ Scorpion Dual FAT BEAM Aerial Effect Laser as I wanted to use it's 'laser sky' effect for parties at home.  The manual says nothing about the 'laser sky' and I'm only just starting to bring myself up to speed on the whole DMX protocol and how it works.  My question is, do I need to buy a separate DMX controller in order to get the Chauvet to do the laser sky effect?  I can manually set the starting DMX addresses on the unit itself but I can't find any sort of setting to do the laser sky.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
Usually there are built in programs you can choose from.
Also, you'll need haze to make it work effectively.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Chris_Anderson

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:03:06 pm »

Usually there are built in programs you can choose from.
Also, you'll need haze to make it work effectively.

Thanks for the reply Dave.  In the manual I see a table with 32 patterns and corresponding DMX address ranges.  I can set the DMX starting address manually on the back of the unit but as far as I can tell none of those are the 'laser sky' effect that is advertised in the product description. 

Would it be something where I have to use a DMX controller to select the function to like Channel 8 which is Pan then select the channel for Clockwise movement?  There isn't a single mention of the 'laser sky' effect anywhere in the manual but it's advertised all over the place in the product description on any site that sells this product. 

I am currently looking for foggers as I know I need haze for the effect to work at all, I just want to figure out the correct setting on the unit first.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 02:00:13 pm »

I can set the DMX starting address manually on the back of the unit but as far as I can tell none of those are the 'laser sky' effect that is advertised in the product description. 

Hi Chris.  I have no idea why Chauvet advertises this unit with the phrase "laser sky" - that's a meaningless description.  I think what they meant to say was "liquid sky", which often refers to a flat persisting plane of laser - sometimes with nodes or waves to give texture.  Looking at the manual, several of the built-in patterns will fit this description. 

There doesn't appear to be a way to manually select a program from the unit's menu, so aside from buying a DMX controller you can try the IRC-6 remote.  That's probably about it though...  Hope this helps!

Chris_Anderson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 02:40:38 pm »

Hi Chris.  I have no idea why Chauvet advertises this unit with the phrase "laser sky" - that's a meaningless description.  I think what they meant to say was "liquid sky", which often refers to a flat persisting plane of laser - sometimes with nodes or waves to give texture.  Looking at the manual, several of the built-in patterns will fit this description. 

There doesn't appear to be a way to manually select a program from the unit's menu, so aside from buying a DMX controller you can try the IRC-6 remote.  That's probably about it though...  Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeff, yes that liquid sky effect is what I figured their term laser sky referred to.  Figured it was just one of those patterns that was completely horizontal.  I'll order the remote and give it a try.  Thanks for the advice.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »

As Dave said, you need haze or fog (smoke).  Haze works better because it "hangs' in the air much longer.  Without either, even the "fat" beams may not be or are just barely visible.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.