ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The trick to using multiple generators?  (Read 4889 times)

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: The trick to using multiple generators?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »

The “parallel” kit, as used on inverter generators, the slave simply uses the other generator to sync its inverter.

Ah -- that makes sense. It's easy to shift the frequency and phase of an inverter to match some master source. I wasn't sure which type was being discussed. A picture in one of the links appeared to show larger trailer-mounted generators that I did not associate with being inverter-based, but maybe they were. My life experience was with conventional generators (well, technically speaking alternators since they produced 3-phase AC, but the generic term of "generator" was used anyway).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »

Ah -- that makes sense. It's easy to shift the frequency and phase of an inverter to match some master source. I wasn't sure which type was being discussed. A picture in one of the links appeared to show larger trailer-mounted generators that I did not associate with being inverter-based, but maybe they were. My life experience was with conventional generators (well, technically speaking alternators since they produced 3-phase AC, but the generic term of "generator" was used anyway).

You are correct, the OP was not inquiring about inverter generators.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »

Many of the inverter generators do have kits to connect two generators together, but as was stated the Multiquip 7000 series is not an inverter type generator.  When our standard lighting package was 120 1k PAR cans plus whatever specials and ACL's were needed, the requirement was separate gen sets for sound and lighting.  Between 4/00 and 2/00 5-wire feeder cable and several trunks full of 19 conductor Socopex cable, we estimated we carried 4-5,000 lbs. of copper.  With our LED lighting rig and digital amps for most or all of our current rig, we can run off a single generator smaller than what we once specified for audio alone!

Dave Guilford

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

Many of the inverter generators do have kits to connect two generators together, but as was stated the Multiquip 7000 series is not an inverter type generator.  When our standard lighting package was 120 1k PAR cans plus whatever specials and ACL's were needed, the requirement was separate gen sets for sound and lighting.  Between 4/00 and 2/00 5-wire feeder cable and several trunks full of 19 conductor Socopex cable, we estimated we carried 4-5,000 lbs. of copper.  With our LED lighting rig and digital amps for most or all of our current rig, we can run off a single generator smaller than what we once specified for audio alone!

My DC7000ss is not an inverter ??

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »

Nope.

Not seen a diesel inverter yet.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 01:47:32 AM »

Not that I can tell from searching MQ's website.  Got a link?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 10:42:00 PM »

No, that unit is a Whisper Quiet generator that uses a mechanical governor circuit that keeps the frequency stable no matter the load on the generator so you always have power at 60 Hz and can run sensitive electronics. These style of generators are sometimes referred to as “Crystal Controlled”.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:08 PM »

No, that unit is a Whisper Quiet generator that uses a mechanical governor circuit that keeps the frequency stable no matter the load on the generator so you always have power at 60 Hz and can run sensitive electronics. These style of generators are sometimes referred to as “Crystal Controlled”.

If it's really crystal controlled, as in a quartz-crystal oscillator, it's an electronic, as opposed to purely mechanical, governor. (Most likely a frequency-locked loop, sometimes mistakenly, in this application, referred to as a phase-locked loop.) For our use, the only thing I can think of that cares about exact line frequency is the classic Hammond organ that uses a synchronous motor to spin the tone wheel shaft thus affecting pitch. The chain motors for hoisting your line arrays will be a little faster or slower but I doubt anyone will notice. Anything with a switching power supply won't give a hoot if the frequency is +/- 10% or more.

Any decent non-invertor generator has some form of governor to keep the frequency more-or-less constant. My now >30 year old 3.5 kVA single-cylinder gas Honda has a very good governor. It also has electronic voltage regulation (by varying the current in the wound-rotor field) and can start a 2 hp induction-motor air compressor (barely).

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:04 AM »

...  With our LED lighting rig and digital amps for most or all of our current rig, we can run off a single generator smaller than what we once specified for audio alone!

Yesterday i called my genny supplier to rent one for a smallish private party next month. The smallest supersilent one he has is a 40kVA Atlas Copco. That should be large enough. ;) With trailer and 25m 63A distro he charges me 80 euros+diesel. I don't think i'll be buying one soon...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.