ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for multipin cable and connectors?  (Read 7175 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Re: Source for multipin cable and connectors?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

Tidy job, though it does seem a little ironic to buy a cheap(ish) remote lunchbox mixer and then spend at least as much again on a top quality detachable snake, when half the point of this kind of mixer is to put it on stage and avoid a snake...

Thanks, but for my applications I dont mind spending the money on something that's ultimately going to give me a quicker and cleaner setup/strike. I like a clean stage and having several "lunchbox mixers" in my arsenal I've had my fair share of messy looking spaghetti on stage because of the front panel designs.
I really enjoy expanding my knowledge on making my own cabling and if I can make it for less than what can be purchased out there from places like Whirlwind, proco, etc, and able to help out other engineers by selling them the same product for less, then I've done my part in helping out a fellow brother..  :)

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »

Don't let untrained hands put that rig together.  While not as delicate as Elco connectors the untrained can wreck that in a heartbeat.

NOBODY is touching this particular rig expect for me :)

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 03:27:55 PM »

Great work Sam! Years ago, I did a project similar to what you have done and for the same reasons. One man operator but wanted a faster setup/ tear down, cleaner stage. I have my project in a box somewhere. Mine is loaded with ITT canon multi pin and have thinking of changing over to CPC 37 pin connectors. One item I added on the milti pin and fan outs sides was a hanger grip on each end. Then would strap or bungy cord to solid case. Countless times someone would walk up stepping on the multi core cable. Guaranteed cable, pins or damaged connectors would have resulted.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »

Great work Sam! Years ago, I did a project similar to what you have done and for the same reasons. One man operator but wanted a faster setup/ tear down, cleaner stage. I have my project in a box somewhere. Mine is loaded with ITT canon multi pin and have thinking of changing over to CPC 37 pin connectors. One item I added on the milti pin and fan outs sides was a hanger grip on each end. Then would strap or bungy cord to solid case. Countless times someone would walk up stepping on the multi core cable. Guaranteed cable, pins or damaged connectors would have resulted.

Thank man, I appreciate it. I'm about to actually make a few more multipin connectors for a few guys (1 from here, 2 locally)

I can see that being a promblem with someone damaging it had you not done that.. the good thing about my application is that the connector is mounted on the back and that never gets in any cross traffic, on or off stage so that won't be an issue.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »

Thank man, I appreciate it. I'm about to actually make a few more multipin connectors for a few guys (1 from here, 2 locally)

I can see that being a promblem with someone damaging it had you not done that.. the good thing about my application is that the connector is mounted on the back and that never gets in any cross traffic, on or off stage so that won't be an issue.

Sure, Sam... until it does.  Use a clove hitch and put a piece of tie line about 18" from the multi, and use that to tie the cable up to a rack handle.  Trust me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »

Sure, Sam... until it does.  Use a clove hitch and put a piece of tie line about 18" from the multi, and use that to tie the cable up to a rack handle.  Trust me.

Sounds like you've met my drummer.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 10:44:07 PM »

Sounds like you've met my drummer.

Yep.  Your drummer, stagehands, me... it's easy to mess up.

The multi-pin is now a mission critical item.  If it fails Sam will need to have a stagebox to fanout snake in a case somewhere.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »

NOTED! :)  Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »

......... the good thing about my application is that the connector is mounted on the back and that never gets in any cross traffic, on or off stage so that won't be an issue.
Famous last words.........
Make it idiot proof, and God comes out with an improroved model idiot.
Some day, you'll have to put a rack in a not so great position.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »

NOTED! :)  Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Yes. Think about a situation where somebody is standing on your cable 10' or so away from the rack, or there's an amp or something on the cable holding it down. Now imagine somebody else walking by and catching their foot on the the cable and yanking. Without a strain relief, what's going to happen to that rack mounted multipin connector?

Even with a strain relief, what's going to happen to the rack if the strain relief's connection point is up on top of a second rack, like in your picture?

Answer those questions in a way that your multipin and the gear in the rack it's in all survives, and your system'll be much more long-lived than if you fail to answer them.

(Hint: an answer is to have the strain relief connection point at the bottom rack, not the top one. That way you won't pull the top rack off/over. There may be more answers, too.)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.