ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for multipin cable and connectors?  (Read 7248 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Re: Source for multipin cable and connectors?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »

Sam

I’m interested. Can you do a show n tell?

Sure can. Once I get all my components in the coming week.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 05:41:28 AM »

I'm particularly interested in proper crimp tools at "a good price". The Amp crimp tool is over $500 on Redco. Add a few hundred more to the for the pin extractor tool (which you are bound to need). For us small guys who would like to connect a few racks with multi pin setups, the tooling cost approaches or even exceeds that of the cable and connectors.

BTW - All of the multipin connectors listed appear quite similar to the "MS" industrial/military multipin connectors that have been around for decades. Amphenol has a ton of different series for circular multipin connectors, with wildly different price points for the same pin count. Would be nice to better understand the differences. I can find Ampehnol 37 pin circular connectors anywhere from $13 to well over $100.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »

I'm particularly interested in proper crimp tools at "a good price". The Amp crimp tool is over $500 on Redco. Add a few hundred more to the for the pin extractor tool (which you are bound to need). For us small guys who would like to connect a few racks with multi pin setups, the tooling cost approaches or even exceeds that of the cable and connectors.

BTW - All of the multipin connectors listed appear quite similar to the "MS" industrial/military multipin connectors that have been around for decades. Amphenol has a ton of different series for circular multipin connectors, with wildly different price points for the same pin count. Would be nice to better understand the differences. I can find Ampehnol 37 pin circular connectors anywhere from $13 to well over $100.

Mark, I contacted several different suppliers and received a call from a good friend of mine who has A Daniels DMC AK8 Crimping and it came with 2 Turrets for proper pin and crimping sizes. I purchased that for $190 shipped, to me that’s a good price and it’s the proper crimping tool I need for my projects.

The company I ended up buying my cable mount and panel mount multipin connectors (LK37) an extra turret, positioner, insert tool, extraction tool, pins, was from LINK USA.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:35:09 AM by Sam Costa »

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »

Sam

So just a quick update, I got the parts ordered and just waiting on one more panel male connector (LK57) to come in sometime tomorrow but I have the whip just about finished that is coming from my soundcraft Ui24r nearly completed and ready to be installed and also just finished installing the cable mount on the Perseus 16 channel snake that I had ordered with a blunt end.

I’ll update with finished photos when it’s all complete here soon.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »

So just a quick update, I got the parts ordered and just waiting on one more panel male connector (LK57) to come in sometime tomorrow but I have the whip just about finished that is coming from my soundcraft Ui24r nearly completed and ready to be installed and also just finished installing the cable mount on the Perseus 16 channel snake that I had ordered with a blunt end.

I’ll update with finished photos when it’s all complete here soon.

Here are some photos along the way of the box end to the multi-pin LK54

And here are some of the whip I made and ready for install when the Panel Mount comes in tomorrow:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:57:18 AM by Sam Costa »

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 01:13:00 AM »

Curious about your setup...

You have 4 PSM300 transmitters, each of which can do a stereo mix or two mono mixes, but you only have 4 aux sends going to them (so a mono signal to each). If you only want 4 mono mixes, why not set your receivers up for mono, and set to use either the left or right channel (but play it in both ear buds as mono)? I've done this many times to get 4 mono mixes with only 2 PSM300 transmitters.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »

Curious about your setup...

You have 4 PSM300 transmitters, each of which can do a stereo mix or two mono mixes, but you only have 4 aux sends going to them (so a mono signal to each). If you only want 4 mono mixes, why not set your receivers up for mono, and set to use either the left or right channel (but play it in both ear buds as mono)? I've done this many times to get 4 mono mixes with only 2 PSM300 transmitters.

Hi Mark, I do have them setup in stereo for certain bands/artists. What you dont see is another whip I have setup that allows for stereo mix. Other times I have 3-4 stage wedges and the rest of the band on ears and they don’t mind running 4 separate Mono signals because every band member would like their "own mix"
I try and make it as flexible as possible for my clients.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:58:52 AM by Sam Costa »

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 01:18:39 AM »

Sam

Ok. Finally got everything buttoned up this evening with my Multi pin connectors.
Planning on making a few more with my other systems and snakes. It was a lot of fun and look forward to making some for other guys as well.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 05:24:35 AM »

Ok. Finally got everything buttoned up this evening with my Multi pin connectors.
Planning on making a few more with my other systems and snakes. It was a lot of fun and look forward to making some for other guys as well.

Don't let untrained hands put that rig together.  While not as delicate as Elco connectors the untrained can wreck that in a heartbeat.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 10:35:43 AM »

Tidy job, though it does seem a little ironic to buy a cheap(ish) remote lunchbox mixer and then spend at least as much again on a top quality detachable snake, when half the point of this kind of mixer is to put it on stage and avoid a snake...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 10:35:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 25 queries.