ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up Unifi AP?  (Read 1259 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Setting up Unifi AP?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 06:37:45 am »

VisiCalc, IIRC.  dBase II was my first relational database.
I had VisiCalc in the TRS Model III version, which ran in Model AIII mode on the Model 4P.
The 4P was my first computer with disk drives, but my 4th computer overall.....
Before them, it was timeshare on an HP-2000F
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 03:22:02 pm »

Anybody remember carrying trays of punch cards and handing them through a window to the “operator” who fed them into an IBM 360 series 44 (big as a building, smart as a wrist watch) and then come back the next day to get your results?  Damn, I’m feeling old.
..db

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »

Anybody remember carrying trays of punch cards and handing them through a window to the “operator” who fed them into an IBM 360 series 44 (big as a building, smart as a wrist watch) and then come back the next day to get your results?  Damn, I’m feeling old.
Ever drop a tray, and have to put it all back in order?
You only do that once......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 03:51:37 pm »

Absolutely, with everyone in the computer center wearing parkas at their desks. Not so much carrying trays as sitting at a punchcard machine creating them.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »

VisiCalc, IIRC.  dBase II was my first relational database.

Visicalc was never available on CP/M.  The main z-80 port was for trs-dos.  A custom version was out for an Epson machine too but no general cp/m.  Supercalc came with the Osborne and was a a perfect clone.

Visicalc took advanatage of the Apple IIe 80 column and 132 column cards and in 1982 was the coolest app for the fledging industry.  Lotus 1-2-3 came along and the rest is history.  I still do @sum style formulas and it was a real bummer when Google apps didn't support that. I can live with Excel but 123 is burned into sections of my brain that somehow were protected from my youthful indiscretions. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 05:09:55 pm »

If only more software developers would release Linux versions. Depending on the distro you can have all the stability and customizability you could ever want, with way fewer of the "why the heck did they change that?!"s. (Developers end up making a lot fewer needless changes when they aren't trying to sell anything...)

-Russ

Gee, I have found that Unix (Linux) people are way more prone to keep tweaking until unrecognizable- lol
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 08:35:57 pm »

Lotus 1-2-3 came along and the rest is history.  I still do @sum style formulas and it was a real bummer when Google apps didn't support that. I can live with Excel but 123 is burned into sections of my brain that somehow were protected from my youthful indiscretions.
I still use the last version they made.
I also did a bunch of programming in Dbase.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Frank Koenig

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2020, 11:11:13 pm »

Chris.

Now you're making me feel young -- which is a rare occurrence. I certainly know about Hollerith cards, and the stories, but just dodged them personally. In high school (1972-73) us spoiled little Palo Alto brats had access to an HP 2000F timeshare system with Teletype terminals (some furnished with paper tape readers/writers).  We had Basic, which was my first taste of programming. Freshman year in college, while some of the other computer science classes still used cards, I took a Fortran class for engineers where, again, we got to use typewriter terminals (Xerox, I think, but I may be wrong). They had these Dymo labeler-style print wheels that spun around super-fast while a solenoid punched at them sounding like an angry bee. As a, what we would now call, intern, at Lawrence Livermore Lab, I used cards for job control (remember JCL?) but the data I was analyzing were on magnetic tape and I never knew where the rest of the code resided -- maybe on cards handled by others? The output was indeed on (132 character wide?) high-speed printer fan-fold that you picked up from your "bin" --  adorned with a bright magenta stripe if classified.

Enough nostalgia. I'll go back to beating my head against Windows 10 which works until it doesn't although I DIDN'T TOUCH ANYTHING. That saying that insanity is doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different result doesn't apply to modern computing.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »

Chris.
Yeah.  Many times I drew a diagonal line across the deck sides - just in case. (more like for when...)  ::)
Comm college was one of the first in the area to run a IBM4341 - with 4 meg of memory! 
UM was on Univac.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.