ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for multipin cable and connectors?  (Read 7172 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Source for multipin cable and connectors?
« on: July 05, 2020, 12:25:55 AM »

Hey guys,
Like many of you, I've been building my own cables for my rigs for some time, however I'm trying to find a good source for multipin connectors so that I can custom make my own for my rigs.

Some of the companies Ive searched for all seem to be in Europe or UK. Is there a site that you guys recommend that sells and supplies here in the states? Looking for multicore cable, panel mount 54 pole connectors (16ch) male and female connectors..

Thanks in advance,
-Sam
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Rick Powell

Re: Source for multipin cable and connectors?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 04:53:48 AM »

Hey guys,
Like many of you, I've been building my own cables for my rigs for some time, however I'm trying to find a good source for multipin connectors so that I can custom make my own for my rigs.

Some of the companies Ive searched for all seem to be in Europe or UK. Is there a site that you guys recommend that sells and supplies here in the states? Looking for multicore cable, panel mount 54 pole connectors (16ch) male and female connectors..

Thanks in advance,
-Sam

www.markertek.com

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »

First, what type/kind of connector do you want to use?  There are benefits and detractors to each. 

You mentioned 16 channels - that puts you into most commonly either 61-pin Whirlwind W2 or compatible, or a 54-pin from Amphenol (MP-41 series), Link, Syntax, or Ten47.  Those are the ones that I can think of offhand, there's probably more.

For US distributors, any one of the cable manufacturers (Whirlwind, CBI, Entertainment Manufacturing, Rapco, etc) can get these connectors.  So if you know someone who is a dealer, you can get the connectors.  And if you don't you can call the manufacturer directly and they'll point you in the right direction - I know Link has a US office, but you can get any of those easily in the US. 

Whichever connector you go with, I recommend investing in the proper crimp tool (most likely a DMC with the correct head) and crimping the multipin instead of soldering if the option is available.  Years ago Dr Don Pearson had a good article on why crimping multipins was a more long-term reliable solution, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

As for cable, do you want IS, IJIS, what?  How flexible?  Pretty much everyone makes bulk multipair, so it comes down to what you want, type of jacket, and how much you're willing to pay.  For fanouts, I like using the individual wires and adding bulk shrink at the base where it hits the multipin strain relief instead of taking a chunk of multipair and shrinking each line.  Entertainment Mfg has some good cable for this, but I can't find the part number at the moment.

Word of advice: do things like add some extra (unshrunk) clear shrink to cables to add labels later, along with techflex on fanouts, etc.  It's worth the couple extra bucks to do it right now than wish you'd done it later.

James Paul

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »

First, what type/kind of connector do you want to use?  There are benefits and detractors to each. 

You mentioned 16 channels - that puts you into most commonly either 61-pin Whirlwind W2 or compatible, or a 54-pin from Amphenol (MP-41 series), Link, Syntax, or Ten47.  Those are the ones that I can think of offhand, there's probably more.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply. Correct, it's for one of my digital rack consoles and I would need the 54 pole/pin setups.

I prefer going with a twist lock connector like the LK series. (I use to use EDAC moons ago and didn't care for them) and I too prefer going with a crimping style connector for the pins. I like to solder, but not that much! ;)

I would like the multicore cable to be somewhat flexible, enough that it will allow me to easily over/under and store in side the rack when I'm done. 50'ft worth and have it hard wired to the box end of the snake, no need for it to disconnect at that location.

I've done my fair share of cable making with XLR, powercon, siamese, so having Techflex is a must for me with the added dual adhesive shrink tube. :)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
-Sam

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »

www.redco.com carries amphenol multi pin. I have not used this brand but like you, had used Edac and itt canon for light duty.
Entertainment metals now EMG carries large and small Ramlatch brand and also 12ch 37 pin cpc connectors if you can split those 16channels for smaller gigs. They have a slick back shell available in different colors and is easy to assemble/service.

You could also try Dave rat at ratsound. I believe they are in the west coast
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:13:36 AM by Luis_Marquez »

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 03:46:14 AM »

So you are familiar with all the ills that are EDAC connectors.   :D

Before the current world state of affairs we went down the rabbit hole of looking at a couple new 32 channel splits for M32 setups and the like, and had settled on one with Syntax SVK connectors (I have a special disdain for the MASS connector).  I checked out the tooling for Syntax, and it is all the standard Daniels crimp tool setup:  Daniels M22520/1-01 crimper with the M22520/1-05 crimp head.  It's the same tool Whirlwind and Amphenol use, and likely Link as well, but I suspect the crimp head may be slightly different for each manufacturer.  As far as specs on each:
  • All 3 have connectors that are Mil C 5015 & VG 95234 compatible: Syntax SVK series, Link LKA series, and Amphenol MP-41 series.
  • All have a 13/19/25/37/54/85/150 pin configuration
  • Link also has a 200 pin
  • Syntax also has a 100-pin in the same pin size
  • Syntax also has a 72 and 101-pin in a "slim" size (SVS series)
  • Link and Syntax both offer colored mating rings for the connectors
I think Syntax is the least expensive of the bunch, but give Entertainment Mfg a call - they will sell the parts, as well as the full systems. They also have multipair that has good specs, is decently flexible and easy to terminate, but I would cross reference with what Redco carries as well.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 04:48:56 AM »

I don't know how your marked is, but in my area LK37 is the only connector people use. So everybody is setting up their stage racks, splitters, stage boxes etc. with LK37.
I use the ones from Link, never had any issues with them.

Might be worth looking around your area and see if cross rental compatibility is something worth considering.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 11:48:19 PM »

I don't know how your marked is, but in my area LK37 is the only connector people use. So everybody is setting up their stage racks, splitters, stage boxes etc. with LK37.
I use the ones from Link, never had any issues with them.

Might be worth looking around your area and see if cross rental compatibility is something worth considering.

Thanks for all your help fellas. Was able to source a supplier for LK37 connectors and tools required (DMC AK8) all for a fairly good price.
Looking forward to making my multipins. :)

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »

Thanks for all your help fellas. Was able to source a supplier for LK37 connectors and tools required (DMC AK8) all for a fairly good price.
Looking forward to making my multipins. :)

Sam

I’m interested. Can you do a show n tell?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.