ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.  (Read 6683 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »

OP, if the overall goal is temporary internet access at a second location, there are two other options to consider: [...]

Unfortunately the OP mentioned that he's looking to extend his network, not just Internet access.

That being said, to the OP: have you considered using a VPN instead of extending your network? It would probably be easier and cheaper...

-Russ

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »

Unfortunately the OP mentioned that he's looking to extend his network, not just Internet access.

That being said, to the OP: have you considered using a VPN instead of extending your network? It would probably be easier and cheaper...

-Russ
That's why I asked if there was internet at the remote.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 11:52:38 PM »

some interesting ideas.  my thanks for that.  a couple of things that are immutable.  We connect to a corporate vpn from out network and are contractually obligated to do so.  There are client privilege issues ...  So i'm intending on extending.  Can't use the neighbor's home wifi...

So far the engenius approach seems most workable.  Think I'll pull some in and do a trial next.

Thanks again!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 01:09:11 AM »

[...] We connect to a corporate vpn from out network and are contractually obligated to do so.  There are client privilege issues ...  So i'm intending on extending.  Can't use the neighbor's home wifi... [...]

I'm sure I must be missing something, but...if you're just connecting to a corporate VPN anyway, couldn't your wife just establish her own corporate VPN connection for her new office using your neighbour's Internet service?

-Russ

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 04:01:26 PM »

I'm sure I must be missing something, but...if you're just connecting to a corporate VPN anyway, couldn't your wife just establish her own corporate VPN connection for her new office using your neighbour's Internet service?

-Russ

It may be that the Company has a site-to-site VPN set up, and Mr. Brown and his wife use devices on the "LAN" side of a company-provided hardware VPN endpoint.

If that's the case, then the corporate IT wizards may be interested to know that Mr. Brown is intending to extend his network with hardware not provided by the Company.

It may be wise, to stay in the good graces of the Company, to discuss the network extension with corporate IT to ensure that security is not compromised.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

It may be that the Company has a site-to-site VPN set up, and Mr. Brown and his wife use devices on the "LAN" side of a company-provided hardware VPN endpoint.

If that's the case, then the corporate IT wizards may be interested to know that Mr. Brown is intending to extend his network with hardware not provided by the Company.

It may be wise, to stay in the good graces of the Company, to discuss the network extension with corporate IT to ensure that security is not compromised.

Agreed. From a policy standpoint, if I were in charge of securing said VPN, I would much rather send out a second endpoint for the second location instead of trusting someone's home-built extension using third-party hardware.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet about point-to-point wireless networking is that reliable Wi-Fi security is difficult (some would say impossible). If the network you're talking about needs to be able to handle (or control access to) sensitive data, then at a minimum you should be encrypting all network traffic across the wireless network in addition to whatever WPA is doing.

(Of course, the easiest way to encrypt all network traffic is to use a VPN, at which point there's very little advantage to creating your own dedicated wireless network vs. just sending the packets over the Internet to your neighbours Wi-Fi...)

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.