ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Fellow LAB Lounge Old Duffers (AES Convention SR Track)  (Read 2331 times)

Dan Mortensen

Since the earlier post about the Covid-Coping panel seemed to get different views here than in the LAB, I'm posting this here as well, in hopes that different people are reading.

With an imminent deadline for event submissions, I've been trying to figure out something that could personalize a "Convention" that is made up solely of online presentations, and here is what I've settled on for my part of the SR Track:

If you have been doing Sound Reinforcement in one capacity or another for at least 30 years, I'd like to invite you to join what I hope turns out to be a fun and interesting experience.

The idea is that we announce this as a way to meet the venerable souls (you) who have been doing this for a long time, and as a chance to hear what you've done, and for attendees to ask questions and share information both ways.

You get the opportunity to be recognized and thanked for your work in our industry, and the attendees get to benefit from your experience and maybe tell you something you didn't know.

I'm thinking the event would be the equivalent of 10 Zoom Breakout Rooms, where after an initial greeting in the main room, as the guests of honor you each are assigned to a numbered breakout room and attendees say which room they want to go to and we moderators assign them there as quick as we can.

When you have your full complement (I'm thinking 8 guests plus you to keep it manageable), you talk for 5 or 10 minutes about your experiences, and then you ask them to tell what they are up to and what they are interested in.

The point is to get them more engaged in audio and the AES, and in our experience at the PNW Section of the AES, EVERYONE is happy to announce what they enjoy about audio or are working on and where they're from, and the results are almost always surprising and interesting. With our Section meetings now solely online, we get people from literally all over the world East and West, and that alone is fascinating, to see the reach that our common interest has.

You and your specific interest will give a focus to your room, but you should be ready to go wherever the conversation goes. It's about sharing rather than you having to give a speech.

I want to specifically invite you if you felt, when coming up, that there was nobody like you who you could use for a mentor, but you found your way anyway. This is another chance for you to help someone who might be in the same boat you were in back then.

Needless to say, this would somehow have to be a live event, and I don't know yet if I'm going to be allowed to do it in my part of the SR Track. To do it, though, I have to propose it, and to propose it I need to have some idea if there are enough people who are willing to take some time to share in person. Hence this post.

To be clear, you are not making a commitment at this time, you are expressing an interest.

The dates are October 28-29-30; I think this should be an after-hours activity, and I assume the Convention will be on New York Time, whether that's EDT or EST. So it would be something like 8 or 9 in the New York evening, maybe. I'm assuming we'll do this once.

I picked 30 years as a criterion almost out of the air; if I have to open it up to those kids with only 20 years, I will but will make sure to tell them to stay off my lawn.

With that hopefully-humorous proviso, if you do have 20 years experience and are interested, please let me know.
Thanks for reading.
Dan

gordonmcgregor

Re: Seeking Fellow LAB Lounge Old Duffers (AES Convention SR Track)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »

I'll join in as I guess I've been at the blunt end of a mic cable off and on for near enough 45 years or so, not always with loudspeakers further down the signal chain but almost always "live" i get cabin fever in studios.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 02:59:51 PM »

Since I've been in "the business" for 50+ years I suppose I might qualify, although nearly all of experiences have been local/regional gigs. I also stopped doing live events as a technician 20 years ago, so my expertise might not be relevant.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »

Great! Thanks, guys.

Duane: local and regional gigs are absolutely relevant. I'm curious about

" I also stopped doing live events as a technician 20 years ago, so my expertise might not be relevant."

Yet IIRC you are an avid poster here? What do you do nowadays that keeps you here? (You can PM me if you don't want to share that with the world, in case it's illegal or something.)

;-)

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:07:46 AM »

I play music, which has always been a parallel career, and (up until recently) still did installs and some light programming. Now I am pretty much retired except for a couple of clients that I've known for years. Still play regularly (until COVID happened), and try to keep up with the industry as much as possible.

Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 06:27:07 AM »

Sounds interesting Dan.
40+ years and still going!...(or would be if there were gigs)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 09:32:11 PM »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for all the fine work you do for our industry.

You know, I have been playing the game for so long, maybe it's time to consider going into coaching.

30 years? Isn't that about how long I have been moderating this forum?

Sounds like you have a good plan. Count me in.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 05:13:48 AM »

Thanks, Gordon, Duane, Keith, and Dave!

I just submitted the proposals and we'll see where they go. This is outside the box, in that trite phrase, so we'll see how the powers that be handle it. I'm hopeful, in part because this could be the only interpersonal interaction that will be going on. I enjoy talking with other people, and so do all of us here. That's why we're here.

Thanks again!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »

I started doing sound stuff in 1965 with a pa for a 4H fairground. I did some recording work in the early 70s then mostly hobby due to day job till around 2000 where I got more involved. Selective bar bands, weddings and small festivals for the past 20 years. Until this year it was one of my physical fitness programs (this year it building a patio).
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »

I started doing sound stuff in 1965 with a pa for a 4H fairground. I did some recording work in the early 70s then mostly hobby due to day job till around 2000 where I got more involved. Selective bar bands, weddings and small festivals for the past 20 years. Until this year it was one of my physical fitness programs (this year it building a patio).

That's nice. Are you volunteering to help, then? This thread has a goal...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.