ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Fellow LAB Old Duffers (AES Convention SR Track)  (Read 1627 times)

Dan Mortensen

Seeking Fellow LAB Old Duffers (AES Convention SR Track)
« on: July 04, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »

With an imminent deadline for event submissions, I've been trying to figure out something that could personalize a "Convention" that is made up solely of online presentations, and here is what I've settled on for my part of the SR Track:

If you have been doing Sound Reinforcement in one capacity or another for at least 30 years, I'd like to invite you to join what I hope turns out to be a fun and interesting experience.

The idea is that we announce this as a way to meet the venerable souls (you) who have been doing this for a long time, and as a chance to hear what you've done, and for attendees to ask questions and share information both ways.

You get the opportunity to be recognized and thanked for your work in our industry, and the attendees get to benefit from your experience and maybe tell you something you didn't know.

I'm thinking the event would be the equivalent of 10 Zoom Breakout Rooms, where after an initial greeting in the main room, as the guests of honor you each are assigned to a numbered breakout room and attendees say which room they want to go to and we moderators assign them there as quick as we can.

When you have your full complement (I'm thinking 8 guests plus you to keep it manageable), you talk for 5 or 10 minutes about your experiences, and then you ask them to tell what they are up to and what they are interested in.

The point is to get them more engaged in audio and the AES, and in our experience at the PNW Section of the AES, EVERYONE is happy to announce what they enjoy about audio or are working on and where they're from, and the results are almost always surprising and interesting. With our Section meetings now solely online, we get people from literally all over the world East and West, and that alone is fascinating, to see the reach that our common interest has.

You and your specific interest will give a focus to your room, but you should be ready to go wherever the conversation goes. It's about sharing rather than you having to give a speech.

I want to specifically invite you if you felt, when coming up, that there was nobody like you who you could use for a mentor, but you found your way anyway. This is another chance for you to help someone who might be in the same boat you were in back then.

Needless to say, this would somehow have to be a live event, and I don't know yet if I'm going to be allowed to do it in my part of the SR Track. To do it, though, I have to propose it, and to propose it I need to have some idea if there are enough people who are willing to take some time to share in person. Hence this post.

To be clear, you are not making a commitment at this time, you are expressing an interest.

The dates are October 28-29-30; I think this should be an after-hours activity, and I assume the Convention will be on New York Time, whether that's EDT or EST. So it would be something like 8 or 9 in the New York evening, maybe. I'm assuming we'll do this once.

I picked 30 years as a criterion almost out of the air; if I have to open it up to those kids with only 20 years, I will but will make sure to tell them to stay off my lawn.

With that hopefully-humorous proviso, if you do have 20 years experience and are interested, please let me know.

This will also be posted in the Lounge in case the readership does not overlap with the LAB. There's a lot of good experience there, too.

Thanks for reading.
Dan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:55:18 PM by Dan Mortensen »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Seeking Fellow LAB Old Duffers (AES Convention SR Track)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 04:04:29 PM »

With an imminent deadline for event submissions, I've been trying to figure out something that could personalize a "Convention" that is made up solely of online presentations, and here is what I've settled on for my part of the SR Track:

If you have been doing Sound Reinforcement in one capacity or another for at least 30 years, I'd like to invite you to join what I hope turns out to be a fun and interesting experience.

The idea is that we announce this as a way to meet the venerable souls (you) who have been doing this for a long time, and as a chance to hear what you've done, and for attendees to ask questions and share information both ways.

You get the opportunity to be recognized and thanked for your work in our industry, and the attendees get to benefit from your experience and maybe tell you something you didn't know.

I'm thinking the event would be the equivalent of 10 Zoom Breakout Rooms, where after an initial greeting in the main room, as the guests of honor you each are assigned to a numbered breakout room and attendees say which room they want to go to and we moderators assign them there as quick as we can.

When you have your full complement (I'm thinking 8 guests plus you to keep it manageable), you talk for 5 or 10 minutes about your experiences, and then you ask them to tell what they are up to and what they are interested in.

The point is to get them more engaged in audio and the AES, and in our experience at the PNW Section of the AES, EVERYONE is happy to announce what they enjoy about audio or are working on and where they're from, and the results are almost always surprising and interesting. With our Section meetings now solely online, we get people from literally all over the world East and West, and that alone is fascinating, to see the reach that our common interest has.

You and your specific interest will give a focus to your room, but you should be ready to go wherever the conversation goes. It's about sharing rather than you having to give a speech.

I want to specifically invite you if you felt, when coming up, that there was nobody like you who you could use for a mentor, but you found your way anyway. This is another chance for you to help someone who might be in the same boat you were in back then.

Needless to say, this would somehow have to be a live event, and I don't know yet if I'm going to be allowed to do it in my part of the SR Track. To do it, though, I have to propose it, and to propose it I need to have some idea if there are enough people who are willing to take some time to share in person. Hence this post.

To be clear, you are not making a commitment at this time, you are expressing an interest.

The dates are October 28-29-30; I think this should be an after-hours activity, and I assume the Convention will be on New York Time, whether that's EDT or EST. So it would be something like 8 or 9 in the New York evening, maybe. I'm assuming we'll do this once.

I picked 30 years as a criterion almost out of the air; if I have to open it up to those kids with only 20 years, I will but will make sure to tell them to stay off my lawn.

With that hopefully-humorous proviso, if you do have 20 years experience and are interested, please let me know.

This will also be posted in the Lounge in case the readership does not overlap with the LAB. There's a lot of good experience there, too.

Thanks for reading.
Dan

I'm in, with the "based on my availability" provisos that you are already aware of.

[technically only 27 years of "Pro" experience.  I"m hoping I can get a waiver...]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:32:09 PM »

Sounds like fun, if it requires physical attendance I'm not sure how that would work, but happy to discuss.
I'm at the 35+ yr mark...

My guess is that you'll probably have more trouble finding young'ns that'll want to take part than us old fossils...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »

Thanks for reading.
Dan

Hi Dan,

Sounds like fun.  Seems like the only qualification is being ancient.  I'm interested.  Come October it will be 44 years of making a living in pro audio.  Started hanging out "here" when it was Dave's mailing list.  Keep me posted.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »

Thanks, you guys!

Steve, it will be nice to chat with you again. Too long a time since!

Andy, thanks! The only physical attendance will be at your computer as we plan it (probably not much of that) and at our time and day of the three (10/28-29-30).

Brian, we'll bend the rules for you! ;-)

And you only have to stay off that one part of the lawn over there near the corner.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:17:37 AM »

Sounds interesting Dan.
Over 40 years and counting but not fossilized as yet ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,

First, thanks to those who were willing to be part of this experiment that I thought would be a lot of fun. The partial proof of concept was done at my Section's August meeting, where we heard and saw Sylvia Massy talking about her Mind-Blowing Microphone Collection, which is, of course, more studio oriented than Live Sound, but it was still great. We twice broke 300 people up into groups of 9 for 10 minutes and we had a great time meeting and learning about what people do that is connected to audio.

Sadly, the powers that be at the Convention, which in many ways starts today, did not think this was a good idea and so we won't be able to incorporate you into the Convention, unless you are planning to be there anyway. There will be an open forum for Sound Reinforcement attendees, although its details are still not known to me other than that it's apparently limited to 75 people per session. There might be a total of two SR sessions, as of this moment.

The Track presentations are all the last week of the month, FYI.

Thanks again for being willing to try out something new.

Posting this in both LAB and Lounge.

Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.