ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye Of The Beholder  (Read 5969 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Eye Of The Beholder
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

I think the biggest rip-off is the last decade automakers selling 18- 21 inch wheels that are still within the same 15 inch tire just a bigger hole in the tire for the rim to fit and basically ruin the ride and then charge more and more for less and less physical Tire 😳

Plus, they just look wrong.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 01:52:09 AM »

Beauty or Beast, what say ye ?
https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
I use my pickup trucks to death out here in farm country and one thing I'm always doing is getting out of the cab and putting socket and wrench sets and various tool items in and out of the bed right behind the cab.  How would you do that with this truck?

Likewise if something small slides forward up against the cab from the only easy accessible area back near the tailgate you have to climb up into the bed to reach it. 

This thing is more akin to a Chevy Avalanche as far as bed accessibility is concerned.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Helmke

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »

I think the biggest rip-off is the last decade automakers selling 18- 21 inch wheels that are still within the same 15 inch tire just a bigger hole in the tire for the rim to fit and basically ruin the ride and then charge more and more for less and less physical Tire 😳

It's a look, which some people are willing to pay for and drive. 

I think it's less silly than wearing delicate impractical clothes such as a suit and tie and calling it a "professional look".

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

Not so much a rip-off than marketing to inappropriate users. That type of wheel drives differently. With less rubber/air and more rim, the sideways shear forces in turns cause less sideways movement of the car relative to the road when turning, so the handling can be more precise. There is also less shock absorption from the tire so the cost of the tighter handling is a rougher ride and need for more shock absorption from the suspension. A softer suspension can cause more lean in turns unless there is active correction, which can bring problems of its own. That low profile type of tire is good if you are racing in a high tech car on a smooth track with lots of turns. Not so good if you are driving off road or on a road surface with lots of potholes, or if you just retrofit low profile tires on a car designed for normal tires.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »

I like it.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Daniel Levi

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 06:38:52 PM »

I say beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder, and to make the cybertruck look good, well as Winston Churchill once said as an insult "I may be ugly, but you will still be ugly when I'm drunk!", though personally I don't like the look of any Tesla vehicle. They just don't look right to me.
I'm the same with the Ioniq Electric, the standard Hybrid looks fine (and is an excellent car) but where they have what looks like a single large piece of silver plastic instead of the grill on the electric it just looks wrong.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 01:59:32 PM »

Part of me thinks that this Cybertruck design is just a decoy until the real design hits the assembly line. But then part of me thinks that Elon has smoked enough weed that he would probably just go with it anyway.

People who buy pick up truck do it because they are functional and not cool or hip looking. But then that market creates it's own hipness among that crowd. I drive a Toyota Tacoma and wouldn't buy that Cybertruck. I think the Rivian truck looks much better and is much more functional that that thing. I can't wait for some hipster to take one of these electric trucks out on an extended overlanding trip and then run the battery down hundreds of miles from the nearest charging port and have to figure out how to charge up the battery to get it home.

Apparently Tesla is eyeing Tulsa as a possible location for the new Cybertruck plant, which I don't think will happen.

At the same time, I'm waiting with baited breath for SpaceX to get their Starlink system up and running and maybe, finally have reliable high speed internet at my house out in the boondocks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 02:02:54 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 02:39:58 PM »

I say beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder, and to make the cybertruck look good, well as Winston Churchill once said as an insult "I may be ugly, but you will still be ugly when I'm drunk!", though personally I don't like the look of any Tesla vehicle. They just don't look right to me.
I'm the same with the Ioniq Electric, the standard Hybrid looks fine (and is an excellent car) but where they have what looks like a single large piece of silver plastic instead of the grill on the electric it just looks wrong.

The Churchill quote (as I recall it) was from an interaction with Lady Astor, who reprimanded Winny "Sir, you are drunk!" to which he supposedly replied "Yes, Madam, and you are ugly; the difference being I shall be sober in the morning."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James Paul

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »

The Churchill quote (as I recall it) was from an interaction with Lady Astor, who reprimanded Winny "Sir, you are drunk!" to which he supposedly replied "Yes, Madam, and you are ugly; the difference being I shall be sober in the morning."
Out of the mouths of babes, and the inebriated.
I had a similar reaction of WTF upon first glimpse of this design as well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:27 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to remember there's a functional building behind the Disney Hall facade.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.