ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting CL/QL Editor to Console over the internet  (Read 6909 times)

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Connecting CL/QL Editor to Console over the internet
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »

Very cool, I am one of the founders of the FreePBX project, an open source PBX that utilizes Asterisk for call handling.  We also produce a turnkey distro using our own version of Red Hat.  I am currently the Director of Engineering for Sangoma Technologies.  Sangoma acquired the FreePBX project, my FreePBX hosting company, Dialogic and Digium, the developers of Asterisk in the last 5 years.  Currently my most interesting project is automated provision of hybrid cloud infrastructure using Ansible and Terraform.   Sangoma's culture is Open Source fanatics and the biggest culture clash is the Docker vs. Kubernetes crowd.  We should chat someday have you looked at OpenVAS?

I have not looked into OpenVAS since my retirement. While employed I worked for a Fortune 500 utility, and open-source anything was pretty much anathema to them. I never really understood why other than when or if something went south you could then lay it at the high-dollar vendor's feet and sort of wash your hands of the problem ...  :D.  As they say, "nobody ever got fired for choosing Cisco, Checkpoint, Palo Alto, etc.".

We did run a Snort sniffer on our outbound WAN traffic just to have another set of eyes on things. It was handled by a friend and co-worker as a sort of side project that was not officially endorsed from above. That was about as open-source as we ever got. I did push for some other open-source, but it was always shot down. Even our Linux servers (we had a few) had to have the paid RedHat installed and never the free CentOS although those two are virtually the same.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »

I have not looked into OpenVAS since my retirement. While employed I worked for a Fortune 500 utility, and open-source anything was pretty much anathema to them. I never really understood why other than when or if something went south you could then lay it at the high-dollar vendor's feet and sort of wash your hands of the problem ...  :D.  As they say, "nobody ever got fired for choosing Cisco, Checkpoint, Palo Alto, etc.".

We did run a Snort sniffer on our outbound WAN traffic just to have another set of eyes on things. It was handled by a friend and co-worker as a sort of side project that was not officially endorsed from above. That was about as open-source as we ever got. I did push for some other open-source, but it was always shot down. Even our Linux servers (we had a few) had to have the paid RedHat installed and never the free CentOS although those two are virtually the same.

At the risk of seeming like I'm trying to drag us back on topic [hint, I'm not]...

This same attitude is much of what drives the prevalence of Yamaha in the corporate audio production world.  If it fails, no one blames you for choosing it in the first place.  They just marvel that it failed.  Choose another, likely just as solid, product and you risk being seen as the cause of the failure rather than an innocent bystander.

That being said, I also just Really Really Like Yamaha. There, I said it.

Okay, now carry on speaking in the Blessed Tongue of the IT People, and I will marvel that there is a Parallel World of Smart People living right here 'mongst us reg'lar folks.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »

At the risk of seeming like I'm trying to drag us back on topic [hint, I'm not]...

This same attitude is much of what drives the prevalence of Yamaha in the corporate audio production world.  If it fails, no one blames you for choosing it in the first place.  They just marvel that it failed.  Choose another, likely just as solid, product and you risk being seen as the cause of the failure rather than an innocent bystander.

That being said, I also just Really Really Like Yamaha. There, I said it.

Okay, now carry on speaking in the Blessed Tongue of the IT People, and I will marvel that there is a Parallel World of Smart People living right here 'mongst us reg'lar folks.  :)

Sorry that I got a bit off the original trail.

I like Yamaha as well. Granted I've had exactly zero experience with other brands being I got into this as a church volunteer sound newbie late in life, but one thing I really like about Yamaha that seems to be somewhat missing in other major brands is a great offline show editor. I use that a ton to prepare things in advance. Maybe I'm too dependent on that software and an experienced pro could slip in and set up and mix right away, but I am still liking that "crutch" of a good offline scene/show editor.

When I was investigating modest budget alternatives for our contemporary service audio upgrade, I looked at Soundcraft, Allen & Heath and Behringer along with Yamaha's TF series. So basically looking in the $3,000 - $6,000 range for a console and 32-channel digital stage box with Dante setup. Almost stretched and pulled the trigger on the A&H SQ-series, but if I am recalling correctly the SQ-series did not have an offline editor at the time and that was a show stopper for me.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »

This to me is an outgrowth of Yamaha's early entry into the digital console space when control surfaces and displays were pretty minimalist. Having the editor connected live to the console on things like an 01V and DM1000 were almost essential to run the mixer. It has carried on to the point that even with CLs and QLs I rarely run the console without the editor connected.

... but one thing I really like about Yamaha that seems to be somewhat missing in other major brands is a great offline show editor. I use that a ton to prepare things in advance. Maybe I'm too dependent on that software and an experienced pro could slip in and set up and mix right away, but I am still liking that "crutch" of a good offline scene/show editor...

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 01:53:41 AM »

I’ve gotten this working now using Ngrok and an RPI - it’s incredibly easy (the tunneling part), but I’d be curious to know if using this is leaving a security hole?
dataplicity is another service like ngrok; it seems there’s plenty of them to choose from!

I would love to learn how to “roll my own” ngrok server if anyone has any leads?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »

Raspberry PI as server with pick your flavour of open source VPN software. If it's easier to get a static IP at your house I might actually put the server at your house and connect from the remote PC to you.

I am 100% sure that Scott has got this in the bag since this is literally what he does for a living. I just had to do the same at work due to the human malware problem although with a bit more powerful hardware than a Raspberry PI, but considering that you wont need a lot of bandwidth for remote control of a console I think a Raspberry PI will have more than enough processing power.

I do both audio and IT as I am sure every audio engineer in existence will end up doing sometime down the line.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 01:46:34 AM »

Thanks, Jean. I agree that Scott has the solution for Brian's situation. I'm just looking to learn more.

Any links you can share on a "how to" for rolling my own Ngrok server? I'd prefer to have it hosted elsewhere for "reasons".
-Andy

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »

[...] Any links you can share on a "how to" for rolling my own Ngrok server? I'd prefer to have it hosted elsewhere for "reasons".

If I understand Ngrok correctly, something as simple as SSH tunnelling could achieve this, but for forwarding more than a couple of ports you're probably better off looking at some kind of VPN setup (with appropriate firewalling). "Rolling your own" is still going to involve paying someone for access to a computer somewhere (and remember that that service provider will have full access to every packet that goes through your forward ports); port forwarding isn't likely going to be a resource-intensive task, though, so the cheapest VPS/container (etc.) you can find will probably work just fine. (Since there are a few different ways to achieve what you're describing I don't know of any tutorials per se.)

That all being said, I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve. Port forwarding out of your local network only adds another point of failure, computational overhead, and an addition set of eyes on all your traffic. It doesn't make your local network any more secure (since, if the server gets compromised somehow, it's still sitting on your local network). Any DDoS attacks will just be forwarded back to your local Internet connection (but with the added crypto overhead). The only situation I can think of where this would be advantageous is when your ISP is blocking the ports in question (and if that's the case, I'd strongly encourage you to vote with your wallet).

-Russ

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »

Thanks, Russ. Just looking for solutions for folks behind a firewall that can't open ports directly. There's only 1 port needed, BTW.

NGrok works, but it seems like it's just SSH port forwarding or something. Still don't really know exactly what's going on behind the scenes.
I found this, but it's definitely over my head ATM!
-Andy

Nathan Salt

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »

Why no love for teamviewer? We have a VM running on our server in our warehouse which is connected to the Cl3, Axient D's and Freespeak2. This allows me access from home. Even though I only live 20-30mins from the warehouse. Not relying on it for a show but seems to be a stable usable setup.

Will definitely keep following this thread as I'm sure going forward this sort of setup might get a lot more use
Nathan Salt

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.