ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI24r issues  (Read 24691 times)

Scott Slater

Re: Soundcraft UI24r issues
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »

Again, it's not an app.  It's simply a browser session to the Ui## mixers.  Any html5 compatible browser works - no special installations or updates required.  Phones, tablets, computers are all instantly connectable (assuming they're on the same network).

That said, the people who do run into issues seem to be using Safari.

Dave

Here's an online demo for anyone who's interested:  https://www.soundcraft.com/ui24-software-demo/mixer.html

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 07:37:39 AM »

Did a quick search on the app store - I'm assuming no version of Mix Station yet for UI series?
There isn't, and I think it's unlikely there will be.  While Mixing Station has been extended to cover the Si range, I'd expect the UIs to have a completely different network API, if indeed they even have one, given their web app interface.

Again, it's not an app.  It's simply a browser session to the Ui## mixers.  Any html5 compatible browser works - no special installations or updates required.  Phones, tablets, computers are all instantly connectable (assuming they're on the same network).
Of course it's an application, the big difference is that it's a server side web application, and so just requires a browser on the client.

That said, the people who do run into issues seem to be using Safari.
And that's where I can't accept that the UI *eliminates* all "upgrade risk".  It does minimise it hugely, but there have been users with browser problems after upgrades.  At least you have the option of picking a different browser, though.

Jay Marr

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 08:22:20 AM »

Here's an online demo for anyone who's interested:  https://www.soundcraft.com/ui24-software-demo/mixer.html

Thanks, I've been playing around with it.
Does it have any ability to truly customize the UI layout (like creating a User Layout in Mix Station)?
I see the page of things you can turn on/off for the UI, but nothing that allows creating a custom layout.  Or is it there, but not in the demo version?
As seen in some of the other Mix Station threads, you can create some amazing layouts that fit your personal workflow.  Wondering if that's capable here?

Apps aside (as they all are not perfect, and in ALL cases you should have a back up/alternate device to connect), I wish there was a way to quantify if there is an improvement in sonic quality.

If X32 vs UI24 is just a Coke vs. Pepsi decision, then that's one thing.  That is an endless debate.
But if it's a Coke vs. Market Basket Brand Cola, then that is a different story.

Who has had them both side by side and can give their opinion on which of those examples best describes the differences?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »

Not a complete custom layout, But you can make lots of custom pages and choose them as you need.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 12:26:18 AM »

Not a complete custom layout, But you can make lots of custom pages and choose them as you need.

Indeed, you can control which buses appear and in what order, and don't forget the "big d" mode where you can have the comp/eq/sends/etc appear above the channel strips. Also check out the "spill" function for expanding and collapsing VCA groups. You can certainly create views that are very efficient workflow wise - esp if you have a large touch screen to work with.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 12:40:26 AM »

If X32 vs UI24 is just a Coke vs. Pepsi decision, then that's one thing.  That is an endless debate.
But if it's a Coke vs. Market Basket Brand Cola, then that is a different story.

Who has had them both side by side and can give their opinion on which of those examples best describes the differences?

If you search the web (Ui24 vs X32, etc) you will find a few reports of people who claim to have had them side by side. Last time I looked, the reports I could find all favored the Ui24... which I took to mean the Ui24 sounds good and I wasn't going to be unhappy with it. Does it really sound noticeably better than the X32? I have no clue - I'm sure I could get a good mix out of either box. That said, I've been very happy with my Ui24 (though sadly it has been months since I even powered it on). Pretty much every show I ever did with the Ui24 got tons of complements on the sound quality, but as you know that has more to do with the band, the speakers, the venue, and how you mix than the box itself.

Bottom line - if you are looking at a new mixer, the Ui24 deserves serious consideration, but I wouldn't dump an X32 for the Ui24 just for a "sonic upgrade".

Jay Marr

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 04:36:47 PM »

If you search the web (Ui24 vs X32, etc) you will find a few reports of people who claim to have had them side by side. Last time I looked, the reports I could find all favored the Ui24... which I took to mean the Ui24 sounds good and I wasn't going to be unhappy with it. Does it really sound noticeably better than the X32? I have no clue - I'm sure I could get a good mix out of either box. That said, I've been very happy with my Ui24 (though sadly it has been months since I even powered it on). Pretty much every show I ever did with the Ui24 got tons of complements on the sound quality, but as you know that has more to do with the band, the speakers, the venue, and how you mix than the box itself.

Bottom line - if you are looking at a new mixer, the Ui24 deserves serious consideration, but I wouldn't dump an X32 for the Ui24 just for a "sonic upgrade".

That's pretty much where I land (not looking and haven't made a jump a 'possible' sonic upgrade)
Have a few X32 and not 'unhappy'.  But always wondering what could be better.  This is just my boredom, GAS and general inability to turn my brain off and be satisfied.
Being in quarantine for months has not helped.

Mal Brown

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »

There isn't, and I think it's unlikely there will be.  While Mixing Station has been extended to cover the Si range, I'd expect the UIs to have a completely different network API, if indeed they even have one, given their web app interface.
Of course it's an application, the big difference is that it's a server side web application, and so just requires a browser on the client.
And that's where I can't accept that the UI *eliminates* all "upgrade risk".  It does minimise it hugely, but there have been users with browser problems after upgrades.  At least you have the option of picking a different browser, though.

No issues with Safari here on a UI 24, ever.  Also user Chromebook, IE and Firefox.   I lived through the sync your app and os upgrade times and really - this is a major step up.

With Safari on a tablet, you can't upgrade ios and/or the browser and not test fully - ever.  I don't if you're on a UI-24r, kindle reader or Zoom... that way lies madness...  which is why it is good to have an alternative browser available and better yet - don't be the first to jump on an upgrade ...

As far as creating custom screens goes.   My fave is using my 21.5" touch screen.  I turn on local 'channel sync' - forget the actual name...but it is a common settin on the local page.  Then I open 4 maybe 5 windows.  I size a large one low on the display for my faders, and smaller ones for EQ, Gate/Comp, Aux Contribution and EFX send.   Select a channel on the faders and all the other windows follow the channel selection.  That  is very hip!   

Then in Custom Views you can create fader views, which carry the SI coloring schemes for channel, aux, efx, vca, etc  -  generally have a couple of those going often it's based on vox, vca, efx, master.   

If you have an FOH position as opposed to side stage mix position supported by the wandering tablet, I can't emphasize enough how fun this thing is to mix on with the big display.  It is seriously cool.

From a reliability stand point - both my units have been good to me.  Key is - understand how the network is setup and creat a good solid network.  All of these suck when you rely on the hot spot.  All of them...

The two most frequent issues I hear are

1. unit is running, passing audio but I have no control.  The answer is network.   Most common fix is grab your alternate device and it's working fine.  reboot the other device, clear browser cache and generally that one comes back to life.  Oh you don't have an alternative device ? 

Note:  I experienced this twice. 
Once in a strange hotel conference room where I had to go through a separate room to get to the back of the hall.Was out of action in transit which was unsettling. On the hotspot.  a next year, same event I had an external router and had control ppl the time.

The second was a wandering iPad show with no FOH position.  Lost the mixer out front while wandering.  Had to run back for the ipad I left on the racks side stage.  Checked the wifi on the unit I wandered with and it attached to the mixer not the external router.  I never checked. DoH!  (smacks forehead)

2. Unit is controllable but not passing audio...  easy

2a. The hardware volumes are down (done that myself in the early days).  It was just the last thing I expected.  It had to be software right ?

2b.  Sound check mode is activated in patching so the Ui is expect you to be supplying audio through USB...  Turn that off and all of a sudden you have front end based i/o.  Do that with a stage full of mics and the volume up and get the predictable results... 

Those two issues cover the vast majority of the user complaints I have heard.  and my opinion is that they probably translate over to other mixers like this, particularly those that fall into the lunch pail on board hotspot class.

... and yes, I have mixed on an XR.  I have had an XR and UI side by side and to my ear the UI -as well as having a much, much better UI also sounds better.  Better is subjective of course but I really like the Soundcraft warm but transparent thing.  The UI reminds me of my original SI3 and SI1 or Impact.  They make the XR seem kinda brittle.  My ears, my taste.  YMMV.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jay Marr

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »

No issues with Safari here on a UI 24, ever.  Also user Chromebook, IE and Firefox.   I lived through the sync your app and os upgrade times and really - this is a major step up.

With Safari on a tablet, you can't upgrade ios and/or the browser and not test fully - ever.  I don't if you're on a UI-24r, kindle reader or Zoom... that way lies madness...  which is why it is good to have an alternative browser available and better yet - don't be the first to jump on an upgrade ...

As far as creating custom screens goes.   My fave is using my 21.5" touch screen.  I turn on local 'channel sync' - forget the actual name...but it is a common settin on the local page.  Then I open 4 maybe 5 windows.  I size a large one low on the display for my faders, and smaller ones for EQ, Gate/Comp, Aux Contribution and EFX send.   Select a channel on the faders and all the other windows follow the channel selection.  That  is very hip!   

Then in Custom Views you can create fader views, which carry the SI coloring schemes for channel, aux, efx, vca, etc  -  generally have a couple of those going often it's based on vox, vca, efx, master.   

If you have an FOH position as opposed to side stage mix position supported by the wandering tablet, I can't emphasize enough how fun this thing is to mix on with the big display.  It is seriously cool.

From a reliability stand point - both my units have been good to me.  Key is - understand how the network is setup and creat a good solid network.  All of these suck when you rely on the hot spot.  All of them...

The two most frequent issues I hear are

1. unit is running, passing audio but I have no control.  The answer is network.   Most common fix is grab your alternate device and it's working fine.  reboot the other device, clear browser cache and generally that one comes back to life.  Oh you don't have an alternative device ? 

Note:  I experienced this twice. 
Once in a strange hotel conference room where I had to go through a separate room to get to the back of the hall.Was out of action in transit which was unsettling. On the hotspot.  a next year, same event I had an external router and had control ppl the time.

The second was a wandering iPad show with no FOH position.  Lost the mixer out front while wandering.  Had to run back for the ipad I left on the racks side stage.  Checked the wifi on the unit I wandered with and it attached to the mixer not the external router.  I never checked. DoH!  (smacks forehead)

2. Unit is controllable but not passing audio...  easy

2a. The hardware volumes are down (done that myself in the early days).  It was just the last thing I expected.  It had to be software right ?

2b.  Sound check mode is activated in patching so the Ui is expect you to be supplying audio through USB...  Turn that off and all of a sudden you have front end based i/o.  Do that with a stage full of mics and the volume up and get the predictable results... 

Those two issues cover the vast majority of the user complaints I have heard.  and my opinion is that they probably translate over to other mixers like this, particularly those that fall into the lunch pail on board hotspot class.

... and yes, I have mixed on an XR.  I have had an XR and UI side by side and to my ear the UI -as well as having a much, much better UI also sounds better.  Better is subjective of course but I really like the Soundcraft warm but transparent thing.  The UI reminds me of my original SI3 and SI1 or Impact.  They make the XR seem kinda brittle.  My ears, my taste.  YMMV.

Would love to see a screen grab of that large layout on your 21"

Mal Brown

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ui-24r-screen-layout-pic.1472983/

I placed this post in the Live Sound forum at Talkbass.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 23 queries.