ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI24r issues  (Read 24678 times)

Jay Marr

Re: Soundcraft UI24r issues
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »

Any output on the Ui24r can be a matrix. Cross over (LP & HP) are also available on every output. Go play with the Ui24r software demo page on Soundcraft's web site and tell us what is you find lacking. If you prefer the X32 that's great, but I don't see how the Ui24r is lacking in comparison. There are pro's and con's to each, but either one can get the job done all day long. Personally I prefer the Ui24r since any web client can control it - meaning I can always find more control options in a pinch. I wish the Ui24r had options for physical faders like the x32, but a 24" touchscreen connected via ethernet makes a pretty nice control surface.

I played around for a while, it's a fine app.
Would like to see true Xover filters (Linkwitz-Riley, etc.).  Maybe the high and low pass built in works ok, but seems like an easy software update to create more flexible filters.

Still trying to determine why the Ui 'smokes' other platforms in the price range?
Again, I toy with buying one, just want to know if there really are some advantages.

Mal Brown

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 03:07:46 PM »

1. Sound Quality.  It's a better sounding box than the others in it's league.  Yep,I've had it side by side with an XR-18 and to my ear, the UI strikes that warm yet transparent thing that Soundcraft does.  Makes the XR sound brite in comparison.

2. Web client vs app.  You simply haven't lived until one of your app supporting devices does an auto update and obsoletes the app and you find out at a gig...  update the firmware and all your devices are in.

3. Expansion.  You can link 2 ui-24r's with an up to 36x36 interface.  Sadly it does not come a UI-48.  It's still a whole lot of i/o at hand and something that to my knowledge is unique at it's price point.

4. To me, and I'll grant my opinion may/will vary from user to user - for a digital board it has a very analog feel workflow wise.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jay Marr

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »

2. Web client vs app.  You simply haven't lived until one of your app supporting devices does an auto update and obsoletes the app and you find out at a gig...  update the firmware and all your devices are in.

Ha - been there!  Thanks Apple.

Thanks for the input.  I agree that the X18/32 series of mixers are a bit bright (maybe a touch brittle when I compare to an analog board).
I would like a warmer sounding digital solution...so hoping to get my hands on one to demo (if/when the music scene opens up again)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 10:54:04 PM »

Ha - been there!  Thanks Apple.

I would BOLD #2 in Mal's post, as ANY html5 browser will drive the Ui24R.

And, I'd add a #5: The Channel EQ is more flexible than the M/X units:  HPF and LPF per channel PLUS 4 parametric bands (don't have to use one band to roll off the highs).

I too wish there were a fader surface available or that the Expression/Impacts could be retooled to run the Ui software (which ain't gonna happen).

It also would have been nice to have an onboard oscillator.  Pink noise or tone sweeps have to be supplied from an outboard device.  Not unworkable, just an extra step.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »

It also would have been nice to have an onboard oscillator.  Pink noise or tone sweeps have to be supplied from an outboard device.  Not unworkable, just an extra step.

Dave

.wav file on a USB stick does the trick. Built in would be nice, but playing a file and routing it to wherever you want works great.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »

1. Sound Quality.  It's a better sounding box than the others in it's league.  Yep,I've had it side by side with an XR-18 and to my ear, the UI strikes that warm yet transparent thing that Soundcraft does.  Makes the XR sound brite in comparison.
"Better" or just "different" - we all have different tastes

Haven't there been occaisional issues of incompatible browsers?
With the X/M AIR/32 mixers, we're fortunate to have Mixing Station which is always kept very up to date - typically introducing firmware compatibility before new firmware is released.  I agree it's a potential risk, though.

3. Expansion.  You can link 2 ui-24r's with an up to 36x36 interface.  Sadly it does not come a UI-48.  It's still a whole lot of i/o at hand and something that to my knowledge is unique at it's price point.
This is, indeed, a fantastic feature of the UI32R - and one that no-one else offers.  Getting 48 inputs on a headless mixture for that budget is awesome.

4. To me, and I'll grant my opinion may/will vary from user to user - for a digital board it has a very analog feel workflow wise.
I've tried a few times, and never found the UI interface intuitive at all.
What I love with Mixing Station, though, is its almost complete customisability - don't think any of the vendor software from any mixer comes even close to that.

Jay Marr

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »

I've tried a few times, and never found the UI interface intuitive at all.
What I love with Mixing Station, though, is its almost complete customisability - don't think any of the vendor software from any mixer comes even close to that.

I'm in the same boat.  The app was 'ok'.  I find the X/M32 workflow better for how my brain works.  Hard to say if it's just because I've used it more, or it just registers better with how I'm wired.

Did a quick search on the app store - I'm assuming no version of Mix Station yet for UI series?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 12:06:45 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  The app was 'ok'.  I find the X/M32 workflow better for how my brain works.  Hard to say if it's just because I've used it more, or it just registers better with how I'm wired.

Did a quick search on the app store - I'm assuming no version of Mix Station yet for UI series?

Since the UI for the UI is so configurable, there probably isn't much need for MS.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »

Again, it's not an app.  It's simply a browser session to the Ui## mixers.  Any html5 compatible browser works - no special installations or updates required.  Phones, tablets, computers are all instantly connectable (assuming they're on the same network).

That said, the people who do run into issues seem to be using Safari.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »

Still trying to determine why the Ui 'smokes' other platforms in the price range?
Again, I toy with buying one, just want to know if there really are some advantages.

It consistently gets excellent reviews regarding the sound quality, where people have moved from the XR, MR and DL formats. I still need to use mine for the first time, but with the Covid that might not happen anytime soon. I got mine as a factory refurb for $600.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.