ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI24r issues  (Read 7872 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Soundcraft UI24r issues
« on: June 30, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »

Working on a some theater equipment and has anyone using their mixer had anything like this issue:
(I have the same mixer in my own pile and whenever they get to do a show again they can just use mine or any of my analog ones  -can't make mine misbehave like theirs)

After 10min up to 30min approx usage the controls lock-up.  Audio continues to pass in the state it was in at lock-up.
Lock-up is just a freeze of everything on the ipad with a gray overlay and a continuous non-recoverable circle-arrow with "attempting to connect" type notice.
It happens either ipad or laptop connected via the mixers internal wifi
It also happens if wired with ethernet direct
and lastly it happens with an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard and mouse connected directly to the mixer.  In that case it just locks up with no overlay or notice, mouse continues to move the pointer but nothing responds to clicks and any meters freeze.

Audio continues indefinitely and it will hold the frozen control state indefinitely also with no recovery -even after leaving playing overnight.
It will recover if powered down and re-booted but freeze will eventually happen again.

I have tried a firmware update but problem is still the same.
Also tried a factory reset -problem stays the same even at original firmware.
Opened it up and checked all internal connections to circuit board -no issues there and problem still persists.

Assuming there is not much I can do myself and was wondering if anyone else experienced this and can share what was involved in the fixing of it.  I also do not know the provenance of this unit but doubtful its on warranty

Anyone have a good lead on a repair center that won't cost more than the unit's worth?  (none of us have any funds right now due to this pandemic)
Harman tech support referred me to the "nearest" places (which me being in ND nothing is "near").  Shipping to Minneapolis or anywhere else in the country are the same hassle so might as well send it somewhere with known excellent service!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mal Brown

Re: Soundcraft UI24r issues
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:58:41 PM »

Hi  Craig,   
1. my useless response is no.  Both my units have been flawless.
2. When you say latest firmware, I understand that there was a recent drop that was supposed to  increase the strength of the internal hotspot.  I don't need it as I am always on a dedicated router.  Probably won't apply an update until the next that delivers functionality I need.

Can you fall back a level to the previous version ?

3. Are you a member of the facebook group ?  If not, you should be as we get visits from Thomas Der (Soundcraft) and Danny Olesh (ex-Soundcraft, was Product Manager for the Ui-24r and definately supportive).
4. The symptom you describe is of the web site crashing.  The unit keeps on doing what it was doing at the time of the crash but otherwise has you on ignore.

I would start with the FB group.  Soundcraft Ui24R Users Group Main

Lastly...  Is there adequate airflow ?   Heat build up?  It's a computer and generally they (computers) like to be warm but not hot as in hot, hot hot...   temp test and a fan if necessary ?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:04:36 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »

Hi Craig,
sounds like you have tried most of the things I would have. I also agree with Mal, try earlier versions of the FW and insure heat is not a problem. I also agree the FB group is a supper resource.

That said, when connected via Ethernet or HDMI/USB, have you tried turning off the WiFi? Mal is probably correct in that the web server is crashing, but just in case it is the WiFi client, I'd disable the wireless, reboot, and see what happens.

Good luck! The Ui24R has been an excellent little mixer for me (knock on wood). Hope you can fix it without sending it in.

Craig Hauber

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:04:19 AM »

Hi Craig,
sounds like you have tried most of the things I would have. I also agree with Mal, try earlier versions of the FW and insure heat is not a problem. I also agree the FB group is a supper resource.

That said, when connected via Ethernet or HDMI/USB, have you tried turning off the WiFi? Mal is probably correct in that the web server is crashing, but just in case it is the WiFi client, I'd disable the wireless, reboot, and see what happens.

Good luck! The Ui24R has been an excellent little mixer for me (knock on wood). Hope you can fix it without sending it in.
Would really like to not have this be the reason I have to use Facebook again.  Been really nice not having that on any of my devices for a few years now.
May have to fake a new email and get a burner device to check it out (If you can't tell by now I really loathe Facebook)

I know it's not an overheating issue as it is sitting on a tabletop not in a rack -and problem originally occurred back in March in an unheated theater space in ND! (we still have snow in March here).
I will dash back over there and try disabling the wireless asap as well as trying a few different firmware releases.
thanks much for the suggestions -I will report back.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:24:33 AM »

Good luck and hear ya on FB. I only use it for a few specialty groups, and only via web browser...otherwise I stay clear.

The fact the web server portion is crashing while the DSP keeps running makes a FW issue highly likely. Try reverting back to the oldest FW you can find...hopefully that will cause a total wipe of the FW and not a "patched" update that might leave bad code in place. I have no idea how the Ui's FW updates work, so this is pure speculation on my end.

Scott Slater

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 06:44:50 AM »

Hi Craig, this sounds more like a network issue, and I've seen similar things happen on other brands.  Check the networking components, and upgrade/replace them if necessary.

Will Knight

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »

Hi Craig,

I'm in agreement with comments already posted.  I have both the Ur16 and the Ur24 and noticed similar behavior early on in the 24 - got it nailed down to the Wireless service being "active" even though I was using a direct connection via laptop.  Make sure that service is disabled, turn the unit off, wait 10 mins, then reboot.  That worked for me and I've not had an issue in over 1 year.
Good luck..
Bill

Craig Hauber

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »

Hi Craig,

I'm in agreement with comments already posted.  I have both the Ur16 and the Ur24 and noticed similar behavior early on in the 24 - got it nailed down to the Wireless service being "active" even though I was using a direct connection via laptop.  Make sure that service is disabled, turn the unit off, wait 10 mins, then reboot.  That worked for me and I've not had an issue in over 1 year.
Good luck..
Bill

10 min?
What in the world is going on in there for that long with the power off?
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 06:30:37 PM »

Craig,

I have two Ui24R's and have had issues a couple of times which, I believe can be attributed to excessive heat.  I installed an upfiring fan on a vented 1u rack shelf underneath to keep some air moving through the chassis and keep an open space above.  There are mounting holes and a power connection for a fan as shipped, but opening the unit can void your warranty...

I have also read people who are drawing too much through their USB ports sometimes have these issues (a powered USB hub is highly recommended).

Let me know if you have more questions regarding the above.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Will Knight

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »

10 min?
What in the world is going on in there for that long with the power off?

10 mins. is a "leisurely" period when you're not on a gig (i.e.- doing bench testing or a pre-gig setup at the shop) and don't need absolute up time.  You only have to wait 15-30 secs max.  Any reboot faster than 15 secs runs a risk of the wifi change not being recognizied.  This was/is common on the U16 but was a key firmware fix in the U24..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.