ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mics and masks  (Read 4551 times)

Eileen Krause

Mics and masks
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »

Greetings,
Church is now slowly moving back in to sanctuary with appropriate protections etc in place.    Right now 3 rotating pastors wearing masks while speaking and I'm wondering if y'all have any recommends for optimizing clarity..   we have wireless headset mics and that is a little tricky with eyeglasses, mask loops and headset fighting for ear space..  ;D.

And lav is option but not usually optimal...  And there's the variable of the different masks they all use - different thicknesses and materials..
I was thinking that folks that do sound for live theater would have all kinds of hacks..  anyway just asking the group for ideas.  Hope you are healthy and making it thru these crazy times.  Thanks as always for any help.

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Mics and masks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

I hear you on the difficulty of wearing headsets with all the other garb as well!

Our congregation is also back (but in much smaller numbers so far) as of Sunday, June 21st. Our church layout for both the contemporary and traditional services (different buildings on the campus) is such that we opted for the pastor to remove his mask while actually preaching since he is quite a distance away from the first row of congregants (like nearly 20 feet).

If your pastor can stand relatively still, perhaps a stationary mic on a stand would work? Or is he far enough away from congregants that removing his mask while actively preaching could be an option?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »

Are they wearing cloth mask?

How about clipping a lav to the mask, I would guess in the area of the corner of the month.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »

How about clipping a lav to the mask, I would guess in the area of the corner of the month.

Wow, that's a brilliant suggestion!  It seems close to perfect, actually.  With an ideal plosives filter!  Better than a headset, when we really consider all of the details.  Loop the cable over an ear then down the neck and back, and you're rocking.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:33:34 AM »

Someone needs to try this and report back on the results.
It won't solve the muffled sound but might give enough GBF to allow some EQ to brighten things up.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »

Any chance of putting the mic inside the mask?
I'd use gloves and put it into an airtight container until it can be disinfected.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »

Any chance of putting the mic inside the mask?
I'd use gloves and put it into an airtight container until it can be disinfected.

Chris

With a cloth mask I'm guessing that there would be too much noise from the mic rubbing the mask up against the face.

With a press formed style mask a headset might work depending on how much noise the mic boom picks up from rubbing the mask, maybe cutting a little slot for the boom to pass through would help.

These are all theories, never tried.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »

Love you guys for all this great feedback.   I'm supposed to get some time with the pastors over next days to try some different techniques.  Also,
While on the subject..any recommends (from your experience) for moderate priced lav mics (Shure compatible) ? 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »

Love you guys for all this great feedback.   I'm supposed to get some time with the pastors over next days to try some different techniques.  Also,
While on the subject..any recommends (from your experience) for moderate priced lav mics (Shure compatible) ?

In the Shure world ,WL93 omni, MX183 omni, MX185 cardioid.
I would lean more for an omni clipped to a mask.

The Countryman B3 omni is small and available for Shure.
A lot of other manufactures also offer models terminated for Shure.

Chuk Gleason

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »

Late to the party, haven't been here for a while. 

My church pianist & singer (also pianist at a private school) showed up to our recording session this past Friday with a 'singers mask'

Googling that gave me these first 3:

https://wchstv.com/news/local/wvu-choir-director-creates-masks-that-work-well-for-singers-and-teachers

https://www.mymusicfolders.com/product/resonance-singers-mask-with-disposable-biofilters/

https://www.broadwayreliefproject.com/singersmask

Seems it might be the way to go for speaking people, too, gets the mask away from the lips. 

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »

Late to the party, haven't been here for a while. 

My church pianist & singer (also pianist at a private school) showed up to our recording session this past Friday with a 'singers mask'

Googling that gave me these first 3:

https://wchstv.com/news/local/wvu-choir-director-creates-masks-that-work-well-for-singers-and-teachers

https://www.mymusicfolders.com/product/resonance-singers-mask-with-disposable-biofilters/

https://www.broadwayreliefproject.com/singersmask

Seems it might be the way to go for speaking people, too, gets the mask away from the lips.

For added visual effect, how about a plague mask?
Stick a mic inside the end with some light foam.
 ;)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Not to Code

doug johnson2

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 06:34:41 PM »

What about a full face shield instead of a mask? Then a earset mic should work well.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »

What about a full face shield instead of a mask? Then a earset mic should work well.

No, not really. I'm doing just that in show and the frequency build up inside the shield causes distortion and it's just a mess....

Scott Slater

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 07:36:07 AM »

I use covers like these:  https://www.adorama.com/hbx19mmpbg.html

Matthias McCready

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »

No, not really. I'm doing just that in show and the frequency build up inside the shield causes distortion and it's just a mess....

Agreed. With an omni headset even walking 3 feet in front of hard surface (TV/wall) can sound pretty weird, can't imagine what a face shield would do.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.