ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing files from Midas MR18 to Ui24R?  (Read 1321 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Importing files from Midas MR18 to Ui24R?
« on: June 28, 2020, 10:00:25 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm curious to know if I'm able to upload and save my scene files I have on one of my Midas MR18's and upload them to a new Ui24R I'm picking up this week? Or am I having to start and save all those bands/artists all over again on the new rack console?

Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Importing files from Midas MR18 to Ui24R?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:23:40 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm curious to know if I'm able to upload and save my scene files I have on one of my Midas MR18's and upload them to a new Ui24R I'm picking up this week? Or am I having to start and save all those bands/artists all over again on the new rack console?

Thanks.

Unless you're an expert at writing code - plan to recreate from scratch. 

Plus - each manufacturer typically has slightly different math for calculating EQ, comps, etc.  So even if you could copy/paste - it's likely going to be a bit off.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:23:10 PM »

Unless you're an expert at writing code - plan to recreate from scratch. 

Plus - each manufacturer typically has slightly different math for calculating EQ, comps, etc.  So even if you could copy/paste - it's likely going to be a bit off.

I kind of figured I would have to start from scratch.... oh well. Thanks for the info.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »

Nothing automated.

However, you don't have to start completely from scratch.  There's nothing to stop you having an MR-18 scene open in, say the Windows tool and then manually recreating the scene on the UI24 using the numeric values for gain, dynamics, EQ, mix-bus settings.  If you've got idle hands at the moment and limited soundcheck time with bands, this might be of use.  However, it wouldn't take much longer to set up from scratch if you've got enough soundcheck time with them.

But, as Caleb points out, even like-for-like settings won't necessarily give you a result that sounds the same.  And FX settings will be even harder to "replicate by numbers".  There's also the question of whether it might be valuable to start again with fresh ears anyway, than to recreate the last scene you used.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:44:22 PM »

It has been a few years, but there was a company started with the business model of taking performance files from one console manufacturer and converting them to files for a different brand of console and sending you a thumb drive with your show for the "new" console.  Interesting idea, but I don't know if they were ever able to do this.  There is just too much difference between the consoles.  An EQ with 4.5dB of boost at 3152Hz with a Q of 1.5 on one console doesn't quite look or sound the same on another console.  We experimented with duplicating settings on different consoles and it just wasn't the same.  Add in processing order, pre and post processing, dynamics, effects setting . . . . well you can imagine the complexity!

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

Nothing automated.

However, you don't have to start completely from scratch.  There's nothing to stop you having an MR-18 scene open in, say the Windows tool and then manually recreating the scene on the UI24 using the numeric values for gain, dynamics, EQ, mix-bus settings.  If you've got idle hands at the moment and limited soundcheck time with bands, this might be of use.  However, it wouldn't take much longer to set up from scratch if you've got enough soundcheck time with them.

But, as Caleb points out, even like-for-like settings won't necessarily give you a result that sounds the same.  And FX settings will be even harder to "replicate by numbers".  There's also the question of whether it might be valuable to start again with fresh ears anyway, than to recreate the last scene you used.

I appreciate the response. Having mixed in upwards of 34 bands on the MR18 I had saved a lot of bands settings, 50% of which were all with IEM settings as well...
I'm pretty sure things wont get back to "normal" out here in Commie-fornia anytime soon but would have been great to have those bands settings up when it does (hopefully within my lifetime lol)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.