ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading JBL SRX800 System  (Read 2732 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Upgrading JBL SRX800 System
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »

Looks like RCF has built-in some expansion by allowing the use of 2x TTL6A per side, but you've got to stack them vertically.

You can (hence my "essentially" disclaimer).  My issue with that is it only works if the added vertical coverage fits your deployment plan - similar to a constant curvature array - though some degree of adjustment is available here if you're using lifts.  I'd love to see it work as it's a very slick package!  For the price though I'm just not sold that it's the best bang to buck with the given limitations, but thankfully that's not my decision to make right now!     

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »

Yeah, I see your point.

I am curious, though, about how it works in practice. It looks to me like RCF have two options for rigging a pair of TTL6A. One of them seems to be to splay the cabinets, which would certainly give wider vertical coverage. The other option puts the cabinets top-to-top and closely packed, which suggests to me they're hoping it'll sum as a coherent source.
I don't know if they've managed that, but if they have then I'd expect more output.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John Schalk

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »

My last band's PA consisted of  four EV QRx153 over four PX2181 subs (we rarely used all 4 stacks.)  The system was powerful, sounded good, and it was really fast to setup and strike.  However, it had one distinct disadvantage in that we didn't have any good options for deploying the top boxes when we lucked into a stage.  Think trailers or other "stages" which are just high enough to let you get your subs underneath, but not nearly high enough to allow you to set your top boxes on the deck and have them reach to the back of the listening area.  We were partly to blame in that we did not have two similarly sized and sturdy road cases that could be used to elevate the QRx speakers.  So my advice is, if you go with the TTL 6-A, to include plans for how you can get them up in the air without stacking them on your subs.  That way you can use different placements for your subs and not be locked into a L + R setup and the resulting power alley of bass.

Kirk Olson

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »

RCF does have the TTL/P/W4 series which helps with the ability to array, but at the cost of max SPL and 3-way box.  Of course no system checks all the boxes, just need to check the boxes that will cover 90%+ of my situations.  The main thing I was initially looking at was simplifying, cutting my cabinet count in half while increasing the quality of sound.  There are many systems that would allow me to do that, but at what cost....Currently in comes down to expandability and coverage, 90 degree will not cover some of the outside gigs, but will cover almost all my current street fair and bar band situations. Expanding the system would mean lifts, and if I have to go that route, might as well go line array, and on and on....but that isn't simplifying.  I am essentially a one man operation, with help mainly only for the grunt work.  I appreciate all the input

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »

The main thing I was initially looking at was simplifying, cutting my cabinet count in half while increasing the quality of sound. 
I am essentially a one man operation, with help mainly only for the grunt work.

To me then this emphasizes the need to give the Danley SM80/TH118 solution a close look as well as the JTR options.  There are plenty of users of both here that can answer any questions you have.  Both are easily deployable by a single person without performing any dangerous lifting and are by far among the best in class right now for the SOS form factor.  Good luck!

John Schalk

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »

...just need to check the boxes that will cover 90%+ of my situations.  The main thing I was initially looking at was simplifying, cutting my cabinet count in half while increasing the quality of sound.  There are many systems that would allow me to do that, but at what cost....Currently in comes down to expandability and coverage, 90 degree will not cover some of the outside gigs, but will cover almost all my current street fair and bar band situations.
One winter I looked back our last two seasons with an eye to how often, in the summer, we had had gigs with stages that would allow us to do something other than a left/right stack.  The answer was sadly, not that often.  More than 90% of our shows were done with a single stack on each side of the stage.  We would add a center fill whenever we could and that really helped get the vocals on the dance floor (we were entirely on ears.)  It's not all bad.  When there isn't a defined stage, the classic left/right stack can define a proscenium in a way that helps separate the band from the audience.  And pretty much nothing is faster to setup than rolling in a sub, tipping it up on end, and throwing the tops up.  Good luck with your decision.  I should be preparing for an annual July 4th concert in the park event, but not this year:(

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 05:29:14 AM »

Looks like RCF has built-in some expansion by allowing the use of 2x TTL6A per side, but you've got to stack them vertically.

So long as the resulting ~7' tall mid-high speaker is elevated properly with a suitable pile of 2x18"s and plenty of straps are used, it seems like a viable way of adding more output without re-tooling.

The question, then, becomes this: will 2x TTL6A/side be a sufficient expansion path in the future, or is it likely that something even bigger is required?

Chris

A few years back I watched this video and remember thinking for smaller shows the TTL6A did a good job full range with no subs. Maybe Mike Santarelli can chime in but it looks like the TTL6A may have a few more uses than a SM80 that may need a sub unless its pretty much vocal only. I don't see the SM80 used in small cubs with kick , bass guitar and keys without subs where a TTL6A a side should work fine. Getting as much use out of a box depending on your needs as always should be considered too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6bB1AVTxc&t=548s

This second video is 2 over 3 subs. Looks like they are doing a good job. As you say the head stack system does look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDXPwkyPrY

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »

If you are dead set on powered cabs, maybe also consider Bassboss AT212 tops over ZV28 subs.

https://www.bassboss.com/buy/powered-top-at212/

https://www.bassboss.com/buy/powered-subwoofer-zv28/

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.