ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading JBL SRX800 System  (Read 2785 times)

Kirk Olson

Upgrading JBL SRX800 System
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »

Currently running JBL SRX835's over SRX828's, two each per side.  Looking to upgrade to something with more clarity, while also hopefully simplifying setup.  Currently looking at RCF TTL6A over SUB9006, one each per side; adding additional subs in the future.  Everything I've read on here is that 1 - 9006 is about equal to 2 828's, and the TTL6A is a beast.  Looking for responses with real world experiences with these setups.
Also considering the HLD6A, 6 per side; but don't really want to deal with lifts and flying arrays, and don't want to do the "dash" arrays usually seen with this level gear. Any comparisons to the TTL6 would be appreciated.
Do mainly bar band type work, but lot's of outside street dances. Have some regional acts, as well as lower level national acts; have never had any complaints on gear at this level.
Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Mike Santarelli

Re: Upgrading JBL SRX800 System
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 12:54:36 AM »

I own both the the srx835/828 and ttl6a/9006. 

The srx is great for what it is but the rcf is a large step up IMO.  More clarity and precision and the 9006 goes lower and is more musical.

The ttl6a really opens up when you get it in the air.  Doubled up and flown it’s an impressive system and can get scary loud.   

The cons are the weight.  Lifting a ttl6 requires two people for any sane person.  They are a pain to move around.  The trade off is they sound great and will out muscle a few small small array boxes. 

You might also want to look into Danley. I know I know.

I ran my first show tonight with a pair of sm80 and four th118xl and it may have been the most impressive mobile system I’ve used. The clarity and punch was downright impressive. It is also easier to deploy using nl4 cables and one power source.  My main reason for going this route was to simplify and it is already showing that benefit in leaps and bounds.

6 hdl Per side would be a solid system but rigging them up would not make things simpler.

A ttl6a over a 9006 is very good small system. It can cover some ground.  I used to have visions of stacking two ttl6a over a sub but that is not fun nor practical in most applications. The one thing that will make you tire of the ttl6a is the weight and size. Other than that it’s a great combo. I would take a look at some of the Danley stuff.  An sm80 won’t get as loud as a ttl6a or have the force of it, but it will play as loud as an 835 and sound cleaner. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:03:56 AM by Mike Santarelli »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:41:15 AM »

Look at the Danley SH46.  4 of them with a DNA20K is almost the same price as 4 of the TTL6A, but they are smaller, very loud, and you can tight pack 2, 3, or even 4 per side for wide coverage areas. 

I wouldn't consider the HDL6A.  A long enough line (say, 12 boxes) looks cool but they don't get loud.  I had a demo of 7-8 per hang, they sounded OK unless you turned it up, and the low-mids were weak.

With SH46's, plan on a bunch of TH118XL subs.  I've heard both but not side by side, TH118XL and 9006, and the 118XL just sound less muffled.  They also cost slightly less than the 9006's.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Kirk Olson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I have looked at the Danley, as well as DAS and other comparable systems. My main question would be how does a single TTL6 over a Single 9006 per side compare to two 835's over two 828's per side? I don't want to lose anything, or even move sideways, will this be a sonic improvement?
Want to stick with powered units, again keep it simple. Weight with the TTL6 may be somewhat of an issue, but nothing that cannot be overcome. The SRX system has served me quite well, but has always somehow left me wanting more.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 04:39:59 PM »

My main question would be how does a single TTL6 over a Single 9006 per side compare to two 835's over two 828's per side? I don't want to lose anything, or even move sideways, will this be a sonic improvement?

RCF will be a good step up, also see Mike's post.  The potential issue dispersion - for wide events you'll need out fills, as you're going from roughly 120 degrees to 90 degrees horizontal.  The TTL6A is also tighter vertically, which is good for ground stack, but you'll want 2 per side, arrayed vertically, if you fly them.  Play with EASE Focus so you can see what this looks like with various scenarios. 

Subwoofers - the SRX sub uses lower cost ferrite drivers, and is intended to sound 'OK' at a very competitive price point.  The 9006 uses much better quality, neo drivers - and is intended to sound very good - as is reflected in the price. 

For the subs, if you're looking for self-powered dual 18's with neo drivers - also check out the Bassboss SSP218 and JTR's updated Captivator 218 Pro.  JTR doesn't have updated specs on their site yet, Jeff mentioned on their facebook page that the new drivers have 3-4 dB additional output vs the old drivers on their website.  Both of these subs play nice and deep, and both are priced better than the RCF, with JTR being the lowest priced.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »

Id definitely say the 9006 is close to two 828 in terms of output and it sounds better. Lower, cleaner, and more musical all around.

The ttl6a will work better for a lot of things on its own because it does have a wider coverage pattern. One thing I could never get around was the comb filtering of the splayed 835. No matter how much experimentations were done it was always noticeable.

It’s hard to describe but the ttl6 is more refined and impactful. It is very smooth and at a distance sounds closer than it is. Again, the key to the ttl6a is getting it up in the air a little if possible. We’ve put them on larger heavy duty stands (250 capacity) by laying them on the sub and doing the tilt method. Ground stacking works but I like to get them up a little higher for tight crowds and events spread out in fields.

The srx is a capable rig and the rcf is going to be an expensive move. You will gain some and be happier I’m thinking.  It is definitely easier to mix on and more fun but at a cost.  I use my srx at local place i do weekly music for. It basically lives there until I need it.  It’s the rig I send out on rentals to get abused.

I would suggest finding someone who has the rcf system you are interested in and take a listen even if means a days travel.  Take your srx to compare.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:50:57 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »

If you are ever in the Philadelphia area I’d be happy to set up both for you to hear.

Kirk, I sent you a pm. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:54:34 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Bob Rout

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »

Not to hijack your thread but I'm on the same upgrade path as you.   Last year I upgraded my 4 SRX835p's to 2TTL6-A's. Best decision I ever made.  The SRX's were great when used within their limits.  For larger outdoor stuff they couldn't control the sound at a distance. Sounded harsh when at or close to limit.

I still have my 6 SRX828sp for subs, but I'm out of room in my trailer.  One TTL6-A will outrun 2-3 SRX828's subs.  Attached is picture from an outdoor cheer expo.  Sounded great, but I would have been happy with more low end.

I'd like to find a double 18 with equivalent or more output than 2 SRX828sp.  I've heard 8006's and really liked the sound but it was 10 of them.  I have no idea on direct comparison.  I've never heard the 9006.

I've also thought about getting TTS36-A's if I could get them used. I'm not sure how they compare to the 8006 or 9006.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »

Hi Kirk, here's my input given that I've had the same question in the back of my mind for the past couple years. 

*Disclaimer - I haven't heard the TTL6A in person, however I have gotten to hear a number of Danley boxes plus many flavors of industry-standard arrays.  I currently use QSC HPR on smaller jobs and Yorkville Unity on larger one.  I'm also a business owner, so my inventory decisions are driven by a business need as well as the resulting sound quality.

I would have no doubt that the TTL6A is a great box.  I'd love to hear it.  My only concern with it is that I see it as an "in between" box.  Bigger/better/louder than the average prosumer box but not in the league of larger format solutions.  While pole-mountable is nice, given the weight I'm sure it's a bit unwieldy to try that.  Even getting my 100 pound QSC HPR152i speakers and 80 pound Yorkville U15s up on stands is more painful now than it was 10 years ago...  Going heavier is going to mean lifts - at least for me.  The bigger question I ask is "Is the TTL6A enough?".  Though able to outperform anything that I currently own, as already mentioned it's essentially a 1-per-side speaker.  For the price tag I'd feel much better knowing that I have options to expand the upper end of the system if need be versus once again being boxed in from future growth.  "Going smaller" is easy and cheap enough, whereas adding headroom can be a very expensive venture if you're already at the upper limit of the product series.

I second the look into Danley as well as Fulcrum.  I'll say that I'm in the minority hear in that I wasn't impressed by the SM80 when I heard a live demo of it a few years ago.  Great for the size/weight/price, but not a stand-alone solution.  The SH series and Jericho boxes are a different story though.  Big and expensive, yes, but a very worthy and serious step up if your business case supports it.  The RCF solution you're looking at is upwards of a $30,000 investment, give or take, and when considering investments of that magnitude I want them to really count.  I just don't get that feeling with the TTL6A.

I asked the same question here a few years ago and just ended up getting more of what I already had to get me the extra headroom I needed.  Granted now my system is fully maxed-out and that any future upgrades will require me to revisit this question myself, but doing what I did was by far the cheapest and probably most appropriate solution without needing to retool my entire inventory.  Hope this helps and best of luck!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »

Looks like RCF has built-in some expansion by allowing the use of 2x TTL6A per side, but you've got to stack them vertically.

So long as the resulting ~7' tall mid-high speaker is elevated properly with a suitable pile of 2x18"s and plenty of straps are used, it seems like a viable way of adding more output without re-tooling.

The question, then, becomes this: will 2x TTL6A/side be a sufficient expansion path in the future, or is it likely that something even bigger is required?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.