ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL BRX300 System  (Read 1607 times)

Josh Dunaway

JBL BRX300 System
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »

Has anyone seen any additional information or have any knowledge of the JBL BRX300 new system other than what's on JBL's website?  It seem interesting- my initial thoughts are it would be a good low budget tool, but the fact that they are pairing 4 Tops w/ 1 Sub and all are rated at 136db seems like it will be very anemic on the Low End.  Thoughts?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: JBL BRX300 System
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:07:35 PM »

Never trust a spec sheet. Especially when it's brand spanking new.

Looks nifty. Maybe this is a VRX replacement? I hope it's better than the VRX is.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »

No available in the North America or EU or U-ish K markets.  Currently in the APAC/China/India market only.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Stone

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »

20 amp/230volt...that seems terribly inefficient.

https://jblpro.com/en-asia/products/brx300

But up to 8 box config with 2 subs is kind of interesting and actual variable angles. I don't really like the must use as a system requirement though.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »

But up to 8 box config with 2 subs is kind of interesting and actual variable angles. I don't really like the must use as a system requirement though.

Not inefficient at all, but they don't list the current draw anywhere that I can see.  Since most of that market is 230V only it seems reasonable that you can run a 6ch amp on a 20A circuit.

This appears to be a stepping stone between VRX and "real line array".  Limited to 8 boxes on the fly grid, subs can power up to 4 tops so you're limited to a 4:1 top/sub ratio, and tops are powered by the subs so you "have" to run their designated amps/settings.  But everything is onboard, no extra amp racks, and the packaging appears to be pretty well done.

It will be interesting to see if these come to the EU and/or North American market at all.  I'm no VRX fan, but I'd be interested to hear how these perform and see some real world measurements.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »

I don't really like the must use as a system requirement though.

If you have tried to purchase JBL VTX or D&B or V-dos, or most (maybe all) of the major non self-powered LA systems, you will find that that is the only way you can buy them.  This has to do with consistency and cross rental compatibility among other things, and it makes sense.  I looked at a VTX systems and found I could not buy it without buying the amp racks - not only the Crown Amps, but the racks that hold the amps.  The racks include the power distribution and I/O so that as a VTX owner/user you WILL be compatible with every other VTX user.  I choked on the $3,500.00 price for a rack without amps, but that's how it is, and I understand why.  There are quite a few "en-asia" products that have never had US equivalent products. These occasionally show up on some auction sites.  From what I've heard from VRX systems, I think I might like the BRX better.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:27 PM »

If you have tried to purchase JBL VTX or D&B or V-dos, or most (maybe all) of the major non self-powered LA systems, you will find that that is the only way you can buy them.  This has to do with consistency and cross rental compatibility among other things, and it makes sense.  I looked at a VTX systems and found I could not buy it without buying the amp racks - not only the Crown Amps, but the racks that hold the amps.  The racks include the power distribution and I/O so that as a VTX owner/user you WILL be compatible with every other VTX user.  I choked on the $3,500.00 price for a rack without amps, but that's how it is, and I understand why.  There are quite a few "en-asia" products that have never had US equivalent products. These occasionally show up on some auction sites.  From what I've heard from VRX systems, I think I might like the BRX better.

The closed system is very l'Acoustic and d&b... A big chunk of what l'Acoustic did in marketing the vDosc array was promoting consistency due to black box processing/presets, training for system owners and technicians, and requiring the use of approved amplifiers and system drive.  The idea was every vDosc rig was owned, deployed, and tuned by people trained the same way.  That was a big deal 25+ years ago - what do you mean I just spent $700k and I can't change the crossover point?  It's mine to change, dammit! ;)  Today, that's the way "systems" are done whether it's for a bar band or a ball room or an arena.  Before "chequebook" systems of quality and output were available, we engineered our own - selecting compression drivers, deciding on mids, picking woofers and power amps and which new Ashly analog crossover we wanted...  Now we buy systems instead of components.

The magic of the JBL/Crown V-Racks is really in the internal i/o wiring and the secret sauce is how those get dealt with in Performance Manager - the parameters that get uploaded to the ITechs without the operator having to think about them.  Plug stuff in where the PM app tells you to.  Test and verify, fly it out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »

The closed system is very l'Acoustic and d&b...

Martin Audio MLA mini, KS Audio Sat 3

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:12:56 AM »

I like it.

Looks like a compact, ready to go-package for those looking into small linearrays.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:12:56 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.