ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: next up in the superspreader sweepstakes concert series  (Read 1916 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana
Re: next up in the superspreader sweepstakes concert series
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2020, 11:12:41 am »

... when the house lights go down, the faders go up and for the next few hours you're riding the lightning.

Damn Chris. Im just a small-time backwoods hobbyist that will never get to participate in the scale of shows many others here do but that simple statement made me put down my coffee, pick up my head, and close my eyes. Be strong everyone. We will get through this.
..db

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2020, 12:20:53 pm »

Damn Chris. Im just a small-time backwoods hobbyist that will never get to participate in the scale of shows many others here do but that simple statement made me put down my coffee, pick up my head, and close my eyes. Be strong everyone. We will get through this.

The ONLY reason I put up with the set-up/strike, traveling, and all the waiting is for those 2-1/2 hours on the faders.....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 01:22:50 pm »

Given our current track record as a species, I'm fairly confident that a safe and effective vaccine is no more than about four years away. My hope is that it won't take that long, but I'm quite confident that it shouldn't take much more than that. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but my sense is that, over the long term, human ingenuity will always win. I have great faith that you (and I) will mix again. :)

My concern with our track record is that after 50 years, the vaccine for the Hong Kong Flu (which I understand to be a similar virus) is only 35% effective in those over the age of 65.  I feel like the silver bullet is too elusive for us to make that our line in the sand.

What is interesting to me is the shift in focus.  Originally, it was "flatten the curve" to not overwhelm healthcare.  Our local university hospital announced a $100 million loss-it is under 50% utilized (especially in the icu/ventilator area)  and even health care employees dealing with covid are being furloughed.

I understand being careful-but there is risk in even driving home from work today.  It would be safer for me to stay home-so at some point the risk has to be viewed as acceptable.  I understand everyone's risk tolerance is different.
Steve Swaffer

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 03:18:24 pm »

My concern with our track record is that after 50 years, the vaccine for the Hong Kong Flu (which I understand to be a similar virus) is only 35% effective in those over the age of 65.  I feel like the silver bullet is too elusive for us to make that our line in the sand.
[...]

Even a fairly-effective vaccine could be immensely helpful, though. SARS-CoV-2 appears to be a pretty weak virus from a non-host longevity standpoint, so its total elimination isn't out of the question (e.g. no one in my generation was vaccinated for Small Pox, because it had been eliminated from the wild by the time I was born). A somewhat-effective vaccine (in concert with other measures) could very well reduce the spread to an R-number below 1, at which point it's only a matter of time before more places in the world start to look like New Zealand (etc.).

It may not be "vaccine today" = "concerts tomorrow", but even a moderately-effective vaccine (plus social measures) could mean a return to normalcy within a month or two. Plus, by presenting an unambiguous "light at the end of the tunnel", my hope would be that compliance with imposed social measures should improve, which will shorten the process immensely.

[...]
I understand being careful-but there is risk in even driving home from work today.  It would be safer for me to stay home-so at some point the risk has to be viewed as acceptable.  I understand everyone's risk tolerance is different.

It's true there's risk in a lot of daily activities, but I'd point out two things:
  • Many societies (including the U.S.) have been saying officially for quite a while that driving-related risks are too high, which is why seatbelts are mandatory in most jurisdictions, cars are safer than they've ever been, and millions (billions?) of dollars are spent every year in improving pedestrian-safety-related street designs. By the same logic, society imposing restrictions on activities in an effort to reduce the effects of a pandemic are equally justified.
  • More importantly, whether or not you drive somewhere today will have no impact on the risks of driving tomorrow. With a pandemic, though, staying home today will make going out at some point in future safer, for you and everyone around you.

To me, this isn't really about judging acceptable risk at all: if everyone would just stay home, stay 2 metres apart and wear masks in public, and wash their hands thoroughly, this would all be over by now (as certain jurisdictions have proven) and there would be no risk to judge. Put another way, every time you see someone in public not wearing a mask and not abiding by social distancing, that person (in addition to needlessly endangering themself and those around them) is in effect directly impacting how long it will be before we can all get back to work.

-Russ

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2020, 08:10:27 am »

"Five Stages of Grief".  Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

I moved directly to #5 in March. I'm pretty much retiring from the hauling systems parts of my business 5 years ahead of schedule.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2020, 12:21:55 am »

Yep, I got word a few days ago that my July 4th job had been cancelled.  Talking with some of my colleagues we're not aware of a single Fourth of July show going forward next weekend, and given the recent spike in Florida COVID cases I can't say that I'm in disagreement with it.  Touching on what Scott said, it wouldn't feel right to me to be putting on a show right now. 

It still makes me sad though, as this will be my first Fourth of July sitting at home without a display to put on since I started shooting fireworks professionally in 2010.  I have a few of the little novelty fireworks to enjoy at the house, but it's definitely not the same.  I also don't feel like spending ridiculous money for the ping pong ball-sized consumer fireworks when last year I was getting paid to shoot shells the size of a basketball! 

There's a reason we chose this industry - when the house lights go down, the faders go up and for the next few hours you're riding the lightning. It's a fantastic job to have.

I hear ya Chris.  Sound/lights/pyro is my fun job - it's hard to explain what about spending days in the Florida heat unloading trucks is so enjoyable, but I love getting to do my thing.  The fireworks portion of my job takes that feeling to the extreme.  Maybe it's something with the months of planning, the days of setup, the six and seven figure budgets at stake, the thousands of lines of show scripting, the tens or hundreds of thousands of excited spectators...and all of it coming down to my finger on the button hoping that everything goes as planned when I press it.  Unlike theater there's no dress rehearsal - I'm seeing the show for the first time live along with everyone else!  The smell of gunpowder, the powerful explosions right in front of me, the ground-shaking finale, and the eruption of cheers and applause as the sky goes dark - all saying that we got it right once again.  It's the best feeling in the world!  All that work for only 18 or 22 minutes - 100% worth it. 

The extra money is nice, sure, but for me it's about being the one to help make memories for families.  Giving them something to bond over and take their minds off their troubles for those 18 or 22 minutes to share an experience together.  Unlike the A-List performers we often support, not a single person in the crowd would know me as the creative talent behind what they just saw.  My Youtube channel has a whole 4 followers (not that I'm complaining).  Aside from maybe still wearing a filthy Pyro Crew shirt not a single person will look at us differently at Denny's the next morning.  No entourage, no paparazzi...  Being the anonymous and mysterious wizard in the dark is the polar opposite of those on stage in the light.  I'd never trade it for anything, and overhearing a conversation at the next table over about how awesome the show was last night always makes me smile. 

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:36 pm »

Maybe it's something with the months of planning, the days of setup, the six and seven figure budgets at stake, the thousands of lines of show scripting, the tens or hundreds of thousands of excited spectators...and all of it coming down to my finger on the button hoping that everything goes as planned when I press it.  Unlike theater there's no dress rehearsal - I'm seeing the show for the first time live along with everyone else!  The smell of gunpowder, the powerful explosions right in front of me, the ground-shaking finale, and the eruption of cheers and applause as the sky goes dark - all saying that we got it right once again.  It's the best feeling in the world!  All that work for only 18 or 22 minutes - 100% worth it. 

The extra money is nice, sure, but for me it's about being the one to help make memories for families.  Giving them something to bond over and take their minds off their troubles for those 18 or 22 minutes to share an experience together.  Unlike the A-List performers we often support, not a single person in the crowd would know me as the creative talent behind what they just saw.  My Youtube channel has a whole 4 followers (not that I'm complaining).  Aside from maybe still wearing a filthy Pyro Crew shirt not a single person will look at us differently at Denny's the next morning.  No entourage, no paparazzi...  Being the anonymous and mysterious wizard in the dark is the polar opposite of those on stage in the light.  I'd never trade it for anything, and overhearing a conversation at the next table over about how awesome the show was last night always makes me smile.

Beautifully said, Jeff, thank you!

For me, doing a good mix of a great artist is like that, too, minus the explosions and most of the smells.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:36 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.