ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Studio 2  (Read 2649 times)

Yoel Klein

Re: Danley Studio 2
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2020, 07:40:26 pm »

You are correct in how the layout/operation is.  Because the drivers are close together in relation to the xover freq, they will act as a single source of sound.

Regarding the sub on/off issue, it is interesting to listen to different recordings and the amount of bass they have.  This gives an idea of the sub level in the studio. 

If the recording has alack of bass, then the studio it was recorded in had TO MUCH bass, so the engineer lowered the bass instruments to account for that.  But it makes the recording sound thin on a proper system.

This is one reason we made these to be used without a sub.  It takes away the user adjustment of sub levels.

If you want more sub, then put it in the mix, NOT by increasing the level of the playback sub.

The whole goal of a studio monitor is to reproduce exactly (or as close as we can) the sound going into it, NOT to have a "color" of its own, which will mess up the mix being done on them.  you want a white canvas to paint on, not an "off white", that you have to adjust to.

The same thing goes for PA speakers, in my opinion anyway, but that is a different topic.

Thank you Ivan.
So the reason my current JBL LSR4328P's are NOT considered point source, is because the xover is at 2.6kHz?

I like the idea of not having the ability to adjust an external sub because it screws up the mix. Never thought of that, and I never had a sub in my recording studio because it was to hard and bulky too treat the room with proper bass traps. 

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2020, 08:41:39 pm »

If you haven't properly treated the room, I don't think it matters if the LF content is coming from a sub or the Danley's - you're not going to be able to hear it well. The design of the Danleys means you don't need a sub, but you still need to treat your room to hear how low they can go accurately.

Yoel Klein

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2020, 09:17:16 pm »

If you haven't properly treated the room, I don't think it matters if the LF content is coming from a sub or the Danley's - you're not going to be able to hear it well. The design of the Danleys means you don't need a sub, but you still need to treat your room to hear how low they can go accurately.

Correct. 
My room is not treated on the floor where a sub would go. it is treated in the middle position.
4" thick rock-board-40 and a 2" gap away from the walls. It's not the most fancy decoration but it surly does the job.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 11:14:03 pm »

Yoel - those look great and hung with the spacer even better.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2020, 09:22:24 am »

Correct. 
My room is not treated on the floor where a sub would go. it is treated in the middle position.
4" thick rock-board-40 and a 2" gap away from the walls. It's not the most fancy decoration but it surly does the job.
A little bit of spacing (like you have) away from the wall is a good thing.

It extends the effectiveness of the panels down lower.

I tell people when doing treatments (absorption) in a room, try to at least use some furring strips (3/4"), but more is better, to a certain point.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 04:26:44 pm »

So the reason my current JBL LSR4328P's are NOT considered point source, is because the xover is at 2.6kHz?
To behave as a (virtual) point source requires the driver's center to center distance to be to be within 1/4 wavelength at the crossover frequency.
The JBL LSR4328P tweeter to woofer center to center distance is around 8 inches, the wave length of around 1500Hz. At that spacing, if the crossover were lowered to around 375 Hz, the two drivers would behave like a virtual point source, but the tweeter couldn't keep up to the woofer.

For near field monitoring, having a virtual point source/co-axial is a good feature to avoid response deviations in the crossover region as you sit or stand, or slump over on the desk after trying to get the perfect sound for 12 hours  :'( .

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 04:26:44 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.