ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Studio 2  (Read 2636 times)

Caleb Dueck

Re: Danley Studio 2
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:48 pm »

Since there are numbers being (mis)represented in this thread, I'll mention that the MSRP for the Studio Two in the newest price list is $4990 each. As always, individual dealers determine actual pricing for their own clients.

In addition to no one paying full MSRP - even if that was sell price, it wouldn't be out of line. That's lower than the Fulcrum active studio monitors were, and a good bit lower than the Eve Audio 3012's.  I haven't checked Adam, Genelec, et al.  As long as no one expects Alesis level pricing - I'm happy with how they are priced.  If I had the cash, I'd get a 5.1 setup into my home!
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:24 pm »

In addition to no one paying full MSRP - even if that was sell price, it wouldn't be out of line. That's lower than the Fulcrum active studio monitors were, and a good bit lower than the Eve Audio 3012's.  I haven't checked Adam, Genelec, et al.  As long as no one expects Alesis level pricing - I'm happy with how they are priced.  If I had the cash, I'd get a 5.1 setup into my home!
I would hope that the cost of a monitor doesn't make an owner believe that its the best because they would hate to think they wasted their money! 

There are cheap monitors that sound amazing to me and I am very productive using them.  There are also 80,000 dollar ones that are good, but not 79,000 better than the cheap ones!
And frankly the 80k monitors I used once weren't as good to my ears as what I heard coming out of the Danley Studio 1 I heard in a demo!

There is a refreshing difference in what I heard from the Danleys (and I'm thinking that it's because just about everything else uses a separate dome tweeter of some kind)
There is a part of me that wants Danley to price them low just to show-up all those high-end models. 
But there's also a part of me that realizes monitors in the studio business are overwhelmingly judged by the size of their price-tag.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Neale Watson

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 01:56:08 am »

That is a very competitive market in the studio speaker world.  You get the Genelec 8351b's (which are stunning), and other super solid monitors from PMC and other top studio brands.  I'm sure these sound great - but most things do at this price.  I wish them well - the world always needs innovation and fresh ideas.

.. agree with this.  For home use who would buy high end passive "Hi Fi" speakers when these mid-field powered monitors are so good.

Interesting how close the Studio 2 price / spec is to the Neumann KH310  (ref Sweetwater)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:25:31 am by Neale Watson »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 06:36:15 am »

If I were working for another 15 years I would consider such a price as an investment in my craft.  Since I'm likely to retire in less than 5 years, it's a prohibitive cost.  At the rate the USA is *effectively* dealing with SARS-CoV2, I will likely retire before arena events come back to full strength and profitability, and may have to retire sooner - Walmart no longer hires greeters...
I have , pretty much, the same outlook. I'm considering a delivery driver job. :-\
At just about $12,000 CDN for a pair, I will have to look at pics and remember my visit to Danley ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 08:20:12 am »

I have , pretty much, the same outlook. I'm considering a delivery driver job. :-\
At just about $12,000 CDN for a pair, I will have to look at pics and remember my visit to Danley ;D
Or maybe take a "short little ride" again in the fall-------------  HA HA
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 03:41:21 pm »

What we need is an arena somewhere with a few systems installed (d&b, L'Acoustics, Martin, Danley), a few consoles, and 128ch multi-track of various bands.  Gear donated from production companies that used to do things called tours  :(  Monthly get-together of us old dinosaurs where we can pick a console, pick a speaker system, and mix away - and have the others present walk the room and critique our mixes  8)  Reminisce about the 'good old days' of pre-2020, share a (few) bottles of Jack, and go on our way until the next month. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 05:17:46 pm »

What we need is an arena somewhere with a few systems installed (d&b, L'Acoustics, Martin, Danley), a few consoles, and 128ch multi-track of various bands.  Gear donated from production companies that used to do things called tours  :(  Monthly get-together of us old dinosaurs where we can pick a console, pick a speaker system, and mix away - and have the others present walk the room and critique our mixes  8)  Reminisce about the 'good old days' of pre-2020, share a (few) bottles of Jack, and go on our way until the next month.

It's a brief nirvana.  I hear the cruise ship crew members that still await repatriated from their ships have long ago lost the thrill of the dance floor and the appeal of karaoke.  Probably no booze, either.  Between the merchant marine and cruise industry there are over 150,000 crew members 'stuck at sea'.

It would be fun to hear and use gear we might not otherwise get hands-on with, do measurements to verify software predictions, maybe a couple rounds of "The 45 Minute Mix - Live Version".  How long is the nostalgia ticket good for?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »

How long is the nostalgia ticket good for?
until there's a PROVEN vaccine...
Anyone want to take swing at my backup-backup-put way away MC-2404?
Got a MC-1608 monitor board lying around somewhere too...
Don't have the heart to toss em. They made me a lot of good money back before digital.

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:19 pm »

until there's a PROVEN vaccine...
Anyone want to take swing at my backup-backup-put way away MC-2404?
Got a MC-1608 monitor board lying around somewhere too...
Don't have the heart to toss em. They made me a lot of good money back before digital.

Chris.

I think we still have the case for a Yammy MC3210.  I don't remember if we sold the mixer or paid to have it hauled off.  Unless we have a Mackie 1604 hiding somewhere the only analog mixers in our shop are my collection of Shure SCM262/268 4 channel utility mixers and a couple of Peavey lunchbox mixer/amps.

We sold our PM3000 to a fellow who did a nice job of refurbishing it.  I think he had it listed in the Marketplace a few years ago.

I don't miss the size/weight of the old big frame consoles like I thought I would.  I don't especially miss "analogue".  I miss the immediacy of muscle memory, reaching out to the exact control I need to use RFN.

Oh, and the doghouse of those large frame desks could support a pair of Danley Studio 1 or 2... ;)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:00 pm »

Or maybe take a "short little ride" again in the fall-------------  HA HA
Meat and twos on me Ivan :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:00 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.