ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Studio 2  (Read 8666 times)

Yoel Klein

Danley Studio 2
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »

Hi everyone,
I was waiting for someone to open a thread about it, So I’m doing it my self...

From what I’m reading on FB they say its an amazing product and I have on my road map to get a pair.

It would be interesting to discuss the facts about the Studio 2 since its using synergy technology on the DSP but actually looks like an ordinary 2 way monitor with a horn and woofer. Is it single points source? Isn’t it point source but still an amazing product?

Let’s discuss it. Because I’m curious what other here think about this design.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:12:50 PM by Yoel Klein »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Danley Studio 2
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »

I just looked at it.

THe picture is decieving. The top "tweeter" area is actually the same 6.5" coax driver from the studio 1. That is the "synergy" part of the box. The woofer is a 10". I'm sure that the crossover from the 10 to the 6.5 is low enough that they sum together well enough that the slightly offset location doesn't matter.

Danley needs a product photographer bad. You have no sense of scale on most of their cabinets.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »

I just looked at it.

THe picture is decieving. The top "tweeter" area is actually the same 6.5" coax driver from the studio 1. That is the "synergy" part of the box. The woofer is a 10". I'm sure that the crossover from the 10 to the 6.5 is low enough that they sum together well enough that the slightly offset location doesn't matter.

Danley needs a product photographer bad. You have no sense of scale on most of their cabinets.
You are correct.

The idea was to not have a separate full range and sub speaker.  A lot of studio guys don't like separate cabinets.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 03:28:18 PM »

My anecdotal evidence is as such:
If It sounds anything like the Studio 1. It is the best sounding speaker I have ever heard.
Though, I probably haven't heard very many 'high-end' speakers for my opinion to count.

---

For the 'non-point source question'

The Studio 1 goes to 63hz -3dB and M-noise @ 109 SPL Cont
The Studio 2 goes to 28Hz -3dB and M-noise @ 108 SPL Cont

To me- that means the crossover between the 6.5" and the 10" is around 65Hz give or take.
Making the 1/4 wavelength for acoustical center summation 4.25ft.
Meaning, the reference monitor is a point source at all frequencies.

---

On another note, I like the new look. The fabric and polish on the speaker make them look hi-fi whereas the initial versions looked cheap.

But I am disappointed they moved the port. For I asked Ivan about that at the Infocomm release last year in speaking with him they had intentionally designed it off-center to help internal cabinet standing waves.
I'm either wrong and they overcame that, or this is a pesky 'business' decision because just like their old impedance ratings of 3ohms or 6 ohms making people confused as to what amp to buy the off-center port location caused people to not prefer the 'look' and in order to sell more they made the wise choice of changing it.

---

Lastly, the partnership over at Danley UK is doing well for the Danley team and it is good to see imperial measurements for the rest of the world on spec sheets.
Though, for the love of all things good can Danley send me the spec sheets before uploading to their website? The inconsistencies are confusing and annoying. I'll proof them for free.

---

Studio 1 (new)
15.75 x 9 x 7.75

Studio 2
14.5 in. x 14 in. x 22.5 in. | 37 cm x 35.5 cm x 57 cm
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:38:17 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »

I'd like to see what the pricing is on the Studio 2. That way I can decide whether to think about buying a pair or just dream about buying a pair.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 09:49:02 PM »

I'd like to see what the pricing is on the Studio 2. That way I can decide whether to think about buying a pair or just dream about buying a pair.

Yeah, I'd love to know at least a ballpark on both of these speakers.  I find myself in need of something like this, but I've no idea what price point we're dealing with on these things.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 10:04:48 PM »

Yeah, I'd love to know at least a ballpark on both of these speakers.  I find myself in need of something like this, but I've no idea what price point we're dealing with on these things.

Saw an article that noted $4400 for the Studio 2 (it did not mention if that was per speaker or for a pair)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 01:39:28 AM »

Hint - it's lower than you'd think, I was pleasantly surprised.  PM me for pricing.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:35:42 AM »

Saw an article that noted $4400 for the Studio 2 (it did not mention if that was per speaker or for a pair)
I'm still dreaming at half that number.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »

For the 'non-point source question'

The Studio 1 goes to 63hz -3dB and M-noise @ 109 SPL Cont
The Studio 2 goes to 28Hz -3dB and M-noise @ 108 SPL Cont

To me- that means the crossover between the 6.5" and the 10" is around 65Hz give or take.
Making the 1/4 wavelength for acoustical center summation 4.25ft.
Meaning, the reference monitor is a point source at all frequencies.

Nah, the crossover will be higher than that. For starters, the Studio 1's 6.5" driver is ported, while the Studio 2 puts it in a sealed box.
You don't really want the midrange cone flapping around much, so shifting the crossover upwards as high as possible makes more sense. My bet is in the 2-300Hz range.

I must say that the ports on the Studio 2 look rather under-sized, but I suppose the studio engineers won't be squeezing every last dB out of these boxes. Might not be an issue in real use cases - I've just been designing lots of PA speakers recently, where I want them to hold up with kilowatts dropped in.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.